• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TheChihuahua

Reaction score
Anybody know if they have fixed how to filter sizes on their site?
for example, I go to trousers, out my size in, doesn’t matter I still get every option even if they are sold out of my size.
does the filter work ondesktop versions of the site?

seems the site they switched to a year ago is far less customer friendly.

Octobab

Reaction score
for example, I go to trousers, out my size in, doesn’t matter I still get every option even if they are sold out of my size.

IME the new website is miles better than the old one, which ranged from barely-functional at best to unworkable at worst. The one one works 90% of the time, but there's still some jank.

@spier given how much we all use the thing, would it be helpful to set up some kind of bug report for when we encounter these issues (EG missing descriptions a few pages back, cart issues, etc). An old web developer roommate always said knowing what the problems are is half the battle

blewnote1

Reaction score

I found that signing in to your profile and adjusting the "My Size" info has worked for for me.

When I try to search by checking off parameters in the filter menu it seems to stop working if multiple options are selected. Like if you select 38 contemp trousers and gray you get the appropriate results, but if you add a specific mill, season, another color or whatever you get everything in their stock.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Try it from your desktop. I found that the My Size filter works great from both my office and home desktops running different web browsers. I never search the SM website from my phone, the screen being so tiny.

The My Size filter, the Notify Me button and real time inventory updating make the present SM website miles, and I mean miles, ahead of the old website.

Rob_Gaines

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm writing for some fit advice in hopes of taking advantage of the sale that's about to end and pick up a new suit. I know I can return stuff, but it's easier not to have to and you all seem to be pretty in tune with how Spier's catalogue fits.

I just got my first sportcoat (the Angelico tropical weight blue check) back from the tailor and aside from one of the sleeves needing a little more adjustment I think it looks pretty good. I went with the 44R even though I fit back into some (very old and unstylish 3 button suits from the 90s) 42Rs in my closet and was put into a 42R Regent fit at Brooks Brothers (the jackets fit great, but the pants were too tight without letting out the waist and possibly also the seat) when I was shopping there the other day because the measurements seemed the best mix for me.

For context I'm 5'10" and 198# (been steadily getting in shape but still have the dad bod tummy and squats make my thighs and glutes bigger).

Shoulder 19"
Chest 42.5"
Sleeve 24"
Jacket Waist 41.5"
Trouser Waist 37.5"
Hips 41.5"
Thigh 23"

Overall I think the jacket looks great without having done any alterations besides shortening the sleeves, but I'm wondering if it's too long or if the chest is too big. I had to get the sleeves shortened several inches and the jacket hem ends below my thumbs. Every guide I read on how a suit should fit has the jacket hem ending around the knuckle on the thumb (as do the pictures I see of all you fine gents on here) so it makes me wonder if I should have tried a 44 short.

So I guess my questions are as follows:

1) Is it too long? Should I try a 44 short? Or do I just have short arms relative to my height and it looks in balance to my trousers and I should live with it?

2) This coat has the unpadded spalla camicia shoulders. Is there a big difference between how this style and the ones with lightly padded shoulders fit?

3) With a drop 6, the 44R suit will put me in 38 contemp pants. I'm wearing J Crew 770 chinos in a 34 waist and although they were tight I fit into the Brooks Bros 36 regent pants I tried on. The thigh is tight for me on both those though, so maybe the 38 would be good and can just tailor down the waist and seat?

My gut feeling is to order a 44R and just have the sleeves shortened and pants waist and seat taken in if necessary, but I keep wondering if it would make sense to try a 42R and see if it would be better to have the sleeves shortened a little less, and jacket and pants waist let out. It seems like everyone says that the Spier's fits run small/tight though so it would be silly to order something to try on that doesn't seem like it would fit (if Spier's contemporary fit is slimmer fitting than the Brooks Bros Regent fit then the 42R would probably not work). Also, I'm a professional musician (jazz trumpet) so I need to be able to raise my arms to play and the sportcoat I just got allows me to do that but it feel like if it were any tighter across the back it would be difficult to do so.

I should have posted this hours ago in order to get timely advice, hopefully some night owls are still up.

Cheers and thanks for all the amazing looks y'all are rocking. It's inspiring me to get back into my menswear game.

PS disregard the poor fitting dress trousers I put on to take pictures. I'm in need of getting them tailored and some new ones that fit better, which is yet another reason I'm asking for sizing advice here!

View attachment 1648092 View attachment 1648093 View attachment 1648094
Fit overall looks good. Sleeves, as you noted, can be shortened but that's about all I see at first glance.

Rob_Gaines

Reaction score
WIWT: S&M Charcoal brushed wool suit. S&M full spread collar shirt. Polo RL tie. Morjas brown suede tassel loafers.
20210803_083436_copy_600x800.jpg
20210803_083357_copy_600x800.jpg

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Duppy

Reaction score
Rick, Any word of chore coats? Or is that for SS22?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Hey all, I'm writing for some fit advice in hopes of taking advantage of the sale that's about to end and pick up a new suit. I know I can return stuff, but it's easier not to have to and you all seem to be pretty in tune with how Spier's catalogue fits.

I just got my first sportcoat (the Angelico tropical weight blue check) back from the tailor and aside from one of the sleeves needing a little more adjustment I think it looks pretty good. I went with the 44R even though I fit back into some (very old and unstylish 3 button suits from the 90s) 42Rs in my closet and was put into a 42R Regent fit at Brooks Brothers (the jackets fit great, but the pants were too tight without letting out the waist and possibly also the seat) when I was shopping there the other day because the measurements seemed the best mix for me.

For context I'm 5'10" and 198# (been steadily getting in shape but still have the dad bod tummy and squats make my thighs and glutes bigger).

Shoulder 19"
Chest 42.5"
Sleeve 24"
Jacket Waist 41.5"
Trouser Waist 37.5"
Hips 41.5"
Thigh 23"

Overall I think the jacket looks great without having done any alterations besides shortening the sleeves, but I'm wondering if it's too long or if the chest is too big. I had to get the sleeves shortened several inches and the jacket hem ends below my thumbs. Every guide I read on how a suit should fit has the jacket hem ending around the knuckle on the thumb (as do the pictures I see of all you fine gents on here) so it makes me wonder if I should have tried a 44 short.

So I guess my questions are as follows:

1) Is it too long? Should I try a 44 short? Or do I just have short arms relative to my height and it looks in balance to my trousers and I should live with it?

2) This coat has the unpadded spalla camicia shoulders. Is there a big difference between how this style and the ones with lightly padded shoulders fit?

3) With a drop 6, the 44R suit will put me in 38 contemp pants. I'm wearing J Crew 770 chinos in a 34 waist and although they were tight I fit into the Brooks Bros 36 regent pants I tried on. The thigh is tight for me on both those though, so maybe the 38 would be good and can just tailor down the waist and seat?

My gut feeling is to order a 44R and just have the sleeves shortened and pants waist and seat taken in if necessary, but I keep wondering if it would make sense to try a 42R and see if it would be better to have the sleeves shortened a little less, and jacket and pants waist let out. It seems like everyone says that the Spier's fits run small/tight though so it would be silly to order something to try on that doesn't seem like it would fit (if Spier's contemporary fit is slimmer fitting than the Brooks Bros Regent fit then the 42R would probably not work). Also, I'm a professional musician (jazz trumpet) so I need to be able to raise my arms to play and the sportcoat I just got allows me to do that but it feel like if it were any tighter across the back it would be difficult to do so.

I should have posted this hours ago in order to get timely advice, hopefully some night owls are still up.

Cheers and thanks for all the amazing looks y'all are rocking. It's inspiring me to get back into my menswear game.

PS disregard the poor fitting dress trousers I put on to take pictures. I'm in need of getting them tailored and some new ones that fit better, which is yet another reason I'm asking for sizing advice here!

View attachment 1648092 View attachment 1648093 View attachment 1648094
Hmmm... my main concern is that the side vents are flaring. Lengthwise... I think it looks good. Most of the time wide angle lenses tend to make things look lengthier, if that makes sense. Shoulders and chest look great. In any case, if you're in a place in which you can exchange items easily, I would try the 46S, just to see how it fits. May need some tailoring at the waist but I'm guessing that might help with the vents.

Rob_Gaines

Reaction score
I've looked at it and almost bought this suit probably 10 times in one of the many fantastic sales on it, but never did. I'm so full of regret after seeing this. Looks amazing!
Yeah, i got it on steep discount earlier this year. My only dislike is the slight sheen of thr brushed wool finish but its no big deal. I'm starting to prefer the dry crunch of high twist wool, but this suit works just fine

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 61 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 17.9%

Forum statistics

Threads