• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

FourAway

Reaction score
Hi all, made my first purchase from Spier and Mackay; It's a navy travel suit for my wedding. Unfortunately the back of the suit has black blemishes (ink?) that probably warrant a return.

However, I did want to get some feedback on the fit of the jacket before going down the return/exchange route. For context, I'm 6'2" and roughly 215 with an athletic build and I purchased the size 46R Contemporary Jacket. The shoulders look good when arms are at the side but the added padding in the shoulders causes divots when I raise my arms to 90 degrees (I assume this is normal?)

Sorry for the poor quality images (iphone camera lens is cracked) - Any feedback is appreciated!

Attachments

• Standing 2.jpg
    Standing 2.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 95
  • Standing.jpg
    Standing.jpg
    148.7 KB · Views: 120

Imperatores

Reaction score
The fresco suit is from 2018, so I'm not sure any fit advice would still be relevant. It's not the right size anyway and has been let out to within an inch of its life. Great fabric regardless, though it pills a lot on the inside of the jacket, for some reason.

Ah, okay. I assumed it was the one they're currently offering.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great post! Excellent fit and really well executed outfits on all of these. The only thing I don't like are the shoes with the navy fresco suit. That suit deserves some proper oxfords. Do you have any thoughts on the fit of the navy fresco compared to other Neo jackets/suits? Is it cut slimmer or roomier etc.?
I think the chunky derbies add some verve to the fresco suit.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hi all, made my first purchase from Spier and Mackay; It's a navy travel suit for my wedding. Unfortunately the back of the suit has black blemishes (ink?) that probably warrant a return.

However, I did want to get some feedback on the fit of the jacket before going down the return/exchange route. For context, I'm 6'2" and roughly 215 with an athletic build and I purchased the size 46R Contemporary Jacket. The shoulders look good when arms are at the side but the added padding in the shoulders causes divots when I raise my arms to 90 degrees (I assume this is normal?)

Sorry for the poor quality images (iphone camera lens is cracked) - Any feedback is appreciated!

I think that size looks good on you, at least from the photos you provided. Seems to fit well around the shoulders and chest, and the jacket length is good. Trousers look good from what I can see. Just needs the sleeves and trousers to be shortened/hemmed a bit and you should be good to go.

A separate point, but I'd probably pick a shirt with a wider spread and longer collar points so that that the collar points are hidden under your jacket lapels.

Most jackets don't look perfect in the shoulders when you raise your arms to 90 degrees, but ask yourself how often you really need to do this.

Last edited:

Commonbloke

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Long-term stalker posting today for those who were wondering what happened to the last few lengths of summer tweed (my order was on June 26th).

This very crapy urban cellphone picture is taken almost straight off the box so I may end up taking 1/4 inch off the sleeves (undecided). I personally like the jacket but feel free to share any negative comment on fit ?.

Cheers!

Attachments

• Unknown.jpeg
    Unknown.jpeg
    212.2 KB · Views: 122
Last edited:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay any update on timing and pricing for the raincoat? I'm strategizing other purchases to prioritize that lol

Rob_Gaines

Reaction score
Very nice!
Hi Guys,

Long-term stalker posting today for those who were wondering what happened to the last few lengths of summer tweed (my order was on June 26th).

This very crapy urban cellphone picture is taken almost straight off the box so I may end up taking 1/4 inch of the sleeves (undecided). I personally like the jacket but feel free to share any negative comment on fit ?.

Cheers!
Very nice! Would love to see a closeup

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
another S&M fit dump:

- standard OCBD w/ (I think) a Drago plaid hopsack:

View attachment 1647640

- aforementioned not-plum-linen-blend-brown-hopsack w/ fresco trousers & pink stripe slub linen shirt:

View attachment 1647644

- purple-label OCBD w/ another hopsack SC (guabello? can't remember), fresco trousers:

View attachment 1647645

- fresco jacket worn as blazer w/ italian spread blue stripe poplin & fresco trousers (sensing a theme?)

View attachment 1647646

- brown hopsack again, purple-label OCBD, yet another pair of frescos:

View attachment 1647647

- dress chinos & LS polo:

View attachment 1647650

- fresco suit and slub linen again:

View attachment 1647652

- mto mid-grey sharkskin, standard OCBD:

View attachment 1647653

- plaid hopsack and purple-label OBCD, tie is also Spier:

View attachment 1647654

- the best $298 I ever spent:

View attachment 1647648
Well done, particularly with the navy Frescos and cream linen.
On the linen end of things, if anybody has (unworn) trews anywhere from 32-36 (hell, maybe 38 lol) and are willing to part with them, let me know. I badly want the SC, but don't imagine I'll make any real use of it without the full suit.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Spier Team, @spiermackay @SpierTeam

Looking to have a MTO done up in Neo since the Cavendish doesn’t seem to be working out for me. I’m interested in either medium gray or charcoal as indicated here:

Spier & Mackay
Spier & Mackay

Is the pricing right on these? The charcoal gray comes up as $398 when I put it in my basket, but it’s advertised as $498. The medium gray comes up to $498 when I put it in the basket, though it’s advertised as $398.

Can you provide any insights on the drape of these two? Weight? Hand and seasonality of the fabric? Many thanks.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi Guys,

This very crapy urban cellphone picture is taken almost straight off the box so I may end up taking 1/4 inch off the sleeves (undecided). I personally like the jacket but feel free to share any negative comment on fit ?.

Cheers!

Hello fellow Westmount-er. Fit looks good. I'd take a bit off the sleeves to show the shirt cuff and watch (if you wear one).

User123456789

Reaction score
I personally think belt loops would look too casual and not mesh with how most would want to wear this.

Probably just be me then. I tend to go more casual. I'm also fairly tall (6-5) with most of my height in my torso. So high rise pants balance out my body, and a belt breaks up the height. I have one custom pair of pants with high rise and belt loops from S&M, and it's one of my favorites.

All of your OTR high rise pants are side tab. Would you ever do any type of high rise pants with belt loops, or should I expect to routinely have to pay the MTO markup for that?

Also related to height, would you ever do 'L' sizes for outerwear? I'm always impressed with your coats, but sadly an overcoat with sleeves that stop half way down my forearms wouldn't do me much good. Many have 'S' and 'R' sizes, but I don't think I've ever seen an 'L'

Last edited:

Rafael Loh

Reaction score
Hi Guys,

Cheers!
Did you went with Light or dark horn buttons?

Looks bloody amazing!

jermyzy

Reaction score
If it's a wee bit tight, why not let it out?

During 2020/2021, we dialed back on taking any significant risk with tailoring. We have some wool/linens scheduled now for SS22

The reason I don't want to let it out, is because my goal is to lose the pandemic weight, so didn't want to have to tailor it again later when I lose the weight (hopefully!). Luckily, I found a Drago wool/linen suit on clearance in 36S contemporary, so I picked that up (with the 20% off coupon, it was a steal!) - it will be my backup suit until I can lose the weight haha! Looking forward to next season's wool/linen offerings though!

blewnote1

Reaction score
Hey all, I'm writing for some fit advice in hopes of taking advantage of the sale that's about to end and pick up a new suit. I know I can return stuff, but it's easier not to have to and you all seem to be pretty in tune with how Spier's catalogue fits.

I just got my first sportcoat (the Angelico tropical weight blue check) back from the tailor and aside from one of the sleeves needing a little more adjustment I think it looks pretty good. I went with the 44R even though I fit back into some (very old and unstylish 3 button suits from the 90s) 42Rs in my closet and was put into a 42R Regent fit at Brooks Brothers (the jackets fit great, but the pants were too tight without letting out the waist and possibly also the seat) when I was shopping there the other day because the measurements seemed the best mix for me.

For context I'm 5'10" and 198# (been steadily getting in shape but still have the dad bod tummy and squats make my thighs and glutes bigger).

Shoulder 19"
Chest 42.5"
Sleeve 24"
Jacket Waist 41.5"
Trouser Waist 37.5"
Hips 41.5"
Thigh 23"

Overall I think the jacket looks great without having done any alterations besides shortening the sleeves, but I'm wondering if it's too long or if the chest is too big. I had to get the sleeves shortened several inches and the jacket hem ends below my thumbs. Every guide I read on how a suit should fit has the jacket hem ending around the knuckle on the thumb (as do the pictures I see of all you fine gents on here) so it makes me wonder if I should have tried a 44 short.

So I guess my questions are as follows:

1) Is it too long? Should I try a 44 short? Or do I just have short arms relative to my height and it looks in balance to my trousers and I should live with it?

2) This coat has the unpadded spalla camicia shoulders. Is there a big difference between how this style and the ones with lightly padded shoulders fit?

3) With a drop 6, the 44R suit will put me in 38 contemp pants. I'm wearing J Crew 770 chinos in a 34 waist and although they were tight I fit into the Brooks Bros 36 regent pants I tried on. The thigh is tight for me on both those though, so maybe the 38 would be good and can just tailor down the waist and seat?

My gut feeling is to order a 44R and just have the sleeves shortened and pants waist and seat taken in if necessary, but I keep wondering if it would make sense to try a 42R and see if it would be better to have the sleeves shortened a little less, and jacket and pants waist let out. It seems like everyone says that the Spier's fits run small/tight though so it would be silly to order something to try on that doesn't seem like it would fit (if Spier's contemporary fit is slimmer fitting than the Brooks Bros Regent fit then the 42R would probably not work). Also, I'm a professional musician (jazz trumpet) so I need to be able to raise my arms to play and the sportcoat I just got allows me to do that but it feel like if it were any tighter across the back it would be difficult to do so.

I should have posted this hours ago in order to get timely advice, hopefully some night owls are still up.

Cheers and thanks for all the amazing looks y'all are rocking. It's inspiring me to get back into my menswear game.

PS disregard the poor fitting dress trousers I put on to take pictures. I'm in need of getting them tailored and some new ones that fit better, which is yet another reason I'm asking for sizing advice here!

PXL_20210802_213145989.jpg PXL_20210802_213209880.jpg PXL_20210802_213218128.jpg

jermyzy

Reaction score
@blewnote1 I'm not the most experienced member, but from the front I think it looks good. I'm also a fan of unpadded shoulders. I think length looks okay (seems to reach where you fingers curl). But from the side-view the vents are flaring out.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads