• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Isn't reality a true Neoploitan jacket would need the sleevehead to be sewn by hand at the very least?

Here is a styleforum journal on it
Yeah, might be so. When I say Neapolitan in this context, I'm referring to the jacket model of the same name that S&M offers.

pickergc

Reaction score
I'd like some suggestions on alterations:
I bought the green minmis seersucker suit from last season. The jacket was cut smaller than usual which I believe is the common sentiment for that lot. I feel the general tightness around the armhole especially near the armpits. Where should I ask the tailor to let out? I'm especially interested in hearing from those who altered the same suit. @pickergc came to my mind first but any feedback would be greatly appreciated ☺
I let the side seams out and it helped a lot with the tightness across the mid-back/Latissimus area.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I let the side seams out and it helped a lot with the tightness across the mid-back/Latissimus area.

Seconding this. Let out the back and side seams. You should be able to get 1.5-2 inches of room. It's a great suit but a shame that inconsistencies from the factory can result in such a tight suit. Not sure if I'd ever fit in it again...

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had noticed the same and posted a Q to Rick about a month or so ago. No reply. I think the jacket in the photo is the traditional peak lapel DB. The other 6 button DB, the Standard DB, has padded, roped shoulders, more like a suit jacket

Hey, does anyone have the dark brown Minnis linen suit? Would love to see photos

I Have (Both), With No Photos, Just Buy It, Don't Wait, Don't Hesitate! (IMHO) These Are The 2 Best Suits They've Made, Flat Out! :fistbump: Brown And Green...

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I Have (Both), With No Photos, Just Buy It, Don't Wait, Don't Hesitate! (IMHO) These Are The 2 Best Suits They've Made, Flat Out! :fistbump: Brown And Green...
thank you
I tried the green linen. Had to return it, the jacket was way small. Regretable as it was beautiful.
Does the brown linen fit the same as the green? or more in line with normal sizing expectations?

Rafsan

Reaction score
thank you
I tried the green linen. Had to return it, the jacket was way small. Regretable as it was beautiful.
Does the brown linen fit the same as the green? or more in line with normal sizing expectations?
I had this same issue when I bought and tried the brown suit a few months back. Had to return because the jacket was entirely too small at my normal size.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@bicycleradical @DonRaphael

Gents, I understand you two own the full canvas John Cavendish Neo suit. I, too, own it as well, and want to hear more from you two about it. I’ve only worn it once, for a 2.5-hour presentation back in November 2020. I really, really, have high expectations for it and desperately want to like it. In fact, I thought I’d be reaching for it more often than I do. Unfortunately, that’s not the case. I have issues with the trousers and the quarters seem too open to me. This is even after having much experience with Neo sportcoats in the same size, which I love. I want to believe the suit cuts a dynamic, flattering silhouette on me, but I just ain’t seeing it with this one. I may have to chalk up the L. Or, I could be trippin’. Was there an adjustment period for you two with this suit? Hoping to initiate some dialogue so as to help me potentially see this suit in a different light and embrace it more.

I have only worn the suit twice so far, once when going out and one day at the office. My first impression was uncertain. It didn't seem right and I was unsure about the silhouette. After my second time wearing the outfit, it felt better. I feel like it fits me well. It's not absolutely perfect by all means however it is growing on me. The jacket is a hair too long and the trousers could fall more cleanly but are fair overall. Compared to S&M regular cut jackets, this one fits me better. It does not feel as slim on me as non-Neo jackets and I like how it drapes. Hopefully, this doesn't change the third time. :p

I am a little slimmer than last year so that may be part of the difference as well. Try wearing it again and see how it feels.

Rob_Gaines

Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of whether the brown Abraham Moon herringbone tweed options in the MTO fabrics are similar or identical to this brown herringbone tweed from Drakes? I know they used a number of Abraham Moon fabrics in the past but it can't tell whether or not there's currently a comparable option with S&M.

Attachments

• AW15_12_1.jpg
    AW15_12_1.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 97

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Anyone have an idea of whether the brown Abraham Moon herringbone tweed options in the MTO fabrics are similar or identical to this brown herringbone tweed from Drakes? I know they used a number of Abraham Moon fabrics in the past but it can't tell whether or not there's currently a comparable option with S&M.
Depending on the lightning, this looks like something between caramel brown and darker brown. I have both a caramel jacket and a dark brown one from Abraham Moon via S&M. They're currently stored, so can't take pics for you. The first is dark brown, the second is the caramel.
8E4A0847-6D2F-4C0C-923B-4336D6F15F49.jpeg
moon-herringbone-1-1024x1024.jpg

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads