• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

EddieK

Reaction score
Usually they would belong to the same roll of fabric, thus there shouldn't be any variance. I think S&M stocks all their fabrics that are available through MTO. Thus, this should be a non-issue.

However, I purchased a jacket 3 seasons ago. I wanted to add the matching trousers this season and was told that they don't stock the fabric anymore and that they would need to order it from the supplier. In this case, S&M disclosed that there's a risk of a slight variance in shade.
Thanks for the reply, appreciate this

EddieK

Reaction score
Another cigar linen/cream quest cotton day. Somewhat cooler and dryer than usual here in Korea today so I took advantage of it and wore a tie. Oh how glad I am to have these in my warm weather arsenal. Shirt is the blue bengal stripe released recently. Wish the collar was bigger but it does the job.

View attachment 1632689
Bit off topic, but how is the formalwear/ classic attire in Korea? Do men usually dress well? I've seen some posts on blogs from some really well dressed men living in Korea.
I feel like it's pretty rough here in Toronto.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did anyone get a green gun club from spier in size 40 when instead you should’ve received the fox brothers jacket instead? Cause that’s what I got in today by mistake lol
Well, I Have A 42Conmp, Blue Peak Lapel With White Buttons Coming In Today! Let's Keep Our "Fingers" Crossed!

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Spier & Mackay Guabello navy hopsack. I like this jacket so much that I purchased the jacket as a DB as well with two additional trousers to complete the suit(s).
View attachment 1633141
View attachment 1633147
I was thinking of getting the Guabello DB as well. I live in South Florida and was wondering if you can describe the weight and breathability of the hopsack as per my rather warm and humid climate.
Thank you

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hello everyone, seems like no one has posted pics of the Cerruti hopsack and a lot of you wanted to see if compared to the E. Thomas. So here ya go, I minimally edited the pictures to showcase what they look like in person.

Overall, the cerruti feels very luxurious. Key difference is it's more sturdy. Feels like it can hold it's shape better whereas the E.Thomas has a softer feel, probably due to the cashmere. While the E.T. is more of a blue blue hopsack, the cerruti has a sort of steel gray/almost purple like tone although it's very very low key up close. Lastly the texture is almost rougher compared to the E.T yet seems like it has better airflow. Both fairly lightweight but the cerruti more so.

PS: Selling this E.T since it's a size smaller (38R contemporary).

@DonRaphael here ya go mate!
Thank you VM for posting these photos, have been hoping someone would post a comparison of the ET and the Cerruti. I'm a sucker for navy SCs and the ET is a favorite. So, are photos 1-3 the Cerruti, 4-6 the ET and in 7 and 8, is the Cerruti in front of the ET?

MrFingers

Reaction score
That is correct!! I would love to keep the ET as it’s still diff enough from the cerruti but it just doesn’t fit me :/ I hope the time comes when I may be able to get it’s as MTO or they drop a similar one

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
keep the ET as it’s still diff enough from the cerruti
That's what I was hoping to hear! LOL I have the ET, it fits great, no way I give it up.
The only Q for me is whether the Cerruti offers enough different to justify adding it to the ET.
And your photos say Yes. (wife says No, but the photos do not lie :lol: )

dogjaeja

Reaction score
Full Canvas Upgrade promo is running - I have a few questions on fabrics...

Does anybody have long-term experience with the Irish Linen & Quest Cotton from Minnis?
Would either of them happen to fade or feature wrinkles over time?
Can they be worn a bit rough, casually, and be washed as needed?

I would prefer a fabric that does feature the above - as I would like to get a suit or separates (2 patch pockets & high waist trousers) to use as a very casual beater suit - in black.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I was thinking of getting the Guabello DB as well. I live in South Florida and was wondering if you can describe the weight and breathability of the hopsack as per my rather warm and humid climate.
Thank you
I'm not familiar with your particular climate unfortunately. But I can tell you that the fabric is breathable and very lightweight. It's unlined, which helps it breath as well. I use it in hot weather, but I can't imagine that it's as humid in northern Europe as in Florida. If this is a general issue/concern, you might want to stick with linen instead.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm not familiar with your particular climate unfortunately. But I can tell you that the fabric is breathable and very lightweight. It's unlined, which helps it breath as well. I use it in hot weather, but I can't imagine that it's as humid in northern Europe as in Florida. If this is a general issue/concern, you might want to stick with linen instead.
Thank you for the information.

Verniza

Reaction score
I have the VBC one go for that instead.

I would think the green linen is a lot better more versatile
Edit: though I would prefer the green linen as suit though

Thanks for the input guys. I was a bit concerned about my existing wardrobe and how these would fit in.

Here you go brother. I saturated the pictures so the green would show the way it appears in real life. It's probably not as lively as it seems in my edits but I think it's close enough. The blue is also not that strong lol.

Also if you can, swing both of them. I was in the same mindset, only got the linen cause I already had the pants. But id suggest the VBC if you don't feel like wearing it as a suit.

Thanks MrFingers my man. I did pull the trigger on the linen instead of the VBC as it seemed more versatile with my existing stuff.

Couldn't really imagine what trousers to pair with the VBC at this point of time maybe I'll pull the trigger on it in the next sale after I have some hands on time with the linen. Or when there's some picture of it in action here.

Hope S&M is paying you a cut of sales you're generating from your posts ;)

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
E. Thomas wool/silk/linen blend
IMG_20210702_074510.jpg
IMG_20210702_113017_edit_326451381513207.jpg
IMG_20210702_113111.jpg

MrFingers

Reaction score
Thanks for the input guys. I was a bit concerned about my existing wardrobe and how these would fit in.

Thanks MrFingers my man. I did pull the trigger on the linen instead of the VBC as it seemed more versatile with my existing stuff.

Couldn't really imagine what trousers to pair with the VBC at this point of time maybe I'll pull the trigger on it in the next sale after I have some hands on time with the linen. Or when there's some picture of it in action here.

Hope S&M is paying you a cut of sales you're generating from your posts ;)
Probably the same as with the linen! I thought cream, khaki, blues, browns would all go well. It’s just the color is more on your face it seems. Still hope to get it if it hits the sales! And haha thanks!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads