• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrFingers

Reaction score
Rick may be able to tell you exactly how much you can let out in the seat. I let out the waist and had the seat taken out at the same time.

If I recall correctly it was on a pair of coverts from last season that didn't have too much give in the fabric. Worked like a charm.

Good luck and report back!
Thank you very much! Let’s just hope it’s not a pricey alteration as I’d have to do it to about 6 pairs ?

yungchomsky

Reaction score
Spier polo on film
lake.jpg
lake2.jpg

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Can anyone suggest whether I should stick with my current size (32 contemporary) or size up and take in the waist and lower leg? My thighs are too damn thick for these and it seems to affect my ability to keep my crotch looking normal. I can’t seem to put my phone and wallet in the pockets but then again I’d rather not do that anyways. I mean some pics they look great, and they’re not uncomfortable per se, I just wonder if a bigger size would fit me better. Thoughts?
If it were me, I would size up as those look tight in the seat and crotch. In addition to seeing if there’s enough room in the seat to let them out (doubtful), you can ask your tailor about letting out the upper thigh. I know that doesn’t sound like it makes sense because the thighs fit fine, but my tailor recently did this on a pair of pants that were too tight in the seat and crotch, and the tweek alleviated the crotch/seat issue. Another upside is that it is apparently a simpler/cheaper alteration.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Told y’all there was a theme this week- all Spier, featuring new linen shirt:
6AA1BAD4-63CC-4860-9F17-FEB26667694A.jpeg

07E91A4B-C101-412F-8B11-6734A513F751.jpeg

For whatever reason this shirt doesn't photograph well- it looks super wrinkled in the first pic, but it's not at all in person. Probably a combination of the office lights and the variegated fabric.

Last edited:

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
This is the navy hopsack blazer. I went with a 40S, but I’m wondering if I should try a 40R next time. I did try a 40R S&M jacket a while ago and IIRC it looked too long. 29.5” jacket length is my sweet spot.

Thoughts?

Attachments

• 2DB09E59-1406-4FCC-99C8-6F58FF9ADA90.jpeg
    2DB09E59-1406-4FCC-99C8-6F58FF9ADA90.jpeg
    162.4 KB · Views: 100

Stylewords

Reaction score

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is the navy hopsack blazer. I went with a 40S, but I’m wondering if I should try a 40R next time. I did try a 40R S&M jacket a while ago and IIRC it looked too long. 29.5” jacket length is my sweet spot.

Thoughts?

Can you get a full length photo from the front and side? It will be easier to tell.

bicycleradical

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It does look a tad short however that is how sportcoat outfits tend to be and imo, is acceptable.

It would be worth trying the R to see if it works better.

ULCajun

Reaction score
Good idea.
I’m the same in between sizes. It’s the buttoning position of the S that I don’t like. I dabbled into the R and yes, a little long in the back but feels much better. I don’t need more size 40 competition though…
Of course now I feel as though I need to replace all of my 40S jackets

Connemara

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Does look a tad short. I think the R will fit you perfect

I'll try an R to see how it looks.

It does look a tad short however that is how sportcoat outfits tend to be and imo, is acceptable.

It would be worth trying the R to see if it works better.

Right. To my eye, it's on the shorter side of acceptable, but it's not "too short."

I’m the same in between sizes. It’s the buttoning position of the S that I don’t like. I dabbled into the R and yes, a little long in the back but feels much better. I don’t need more size 40 competition though…
Of course now I feel as though I need to replace all of my 40S jackets

If I like the R, I will have the same reaction. :fu::fu::fu:

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks good. Which jacket is that?

Linen blazer from last year. I think I got this for something like $80-$90 when they were doing that big jacket sale where they were just trying to get rid of inventory, ended up being an incredibly useful jacket.

Could probably stand to shorten the sleeves though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads