• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

zurich64

Reaction score
Need some help with sizing here, ordered the moss green fox air in 38L contemporary and feel it might be a tad too long in the body? I do know that the sleeves need to be shortened and maybe have the waist let out a tad, just unsure about the length. Also added a couple of shots with 38R sport coat for comparisons sake (definitely need the waist let out there).
thanks in advance!

View attachment 1611892 View attachment 1611892 View attachment 1611893 View attachment 1611894 View attachment 1611895 View attachment 1611896
The length looks good, for both pieces, but if 38R avoids shortening the sleeves, then that could be a better option. Did you measure the actual length on these two to see the difference?

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are you doing w/ your arms? You're probably between an L and an R, and your drop shoulder is very accentuated w/ the tweed, don't know if I would keep that unless you have a skillful tailor.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need some help with sizing here, ordered the moss green fox air in 38L contemporary and feel it might be a tad too long in the body? I do know that the sleeves need to be shortened and maybe have the waist let out a tad, just unsure about the length. Also added a couple of shots with 38R sport coat for comparisons sake (definitely need the waist let out there).
thanks in advance!

View attachment 1611892 View attachment 1611892 View attachment 1611893 View attachment 1611894 View attachment 1611895 View attachment 1611896
Go for the long and work out the break situation so the proportions between trouser and suitcoat harmonize and read as singular. The 38R looks to be cinching upwards when buttoned.

wigglr

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I know people have experience washing the Sondrio linen-cotton from searching this thread, but my searching failed to find out whether people experience shrinkage (cold wash, hang dry).
Is anybody able to speak to this? TIA

Sir_Longshanks

Reaction score
Moss green does appear long in the body. The pants are flirting with negative break territory [style preference -- looks good no break or negative if you like the style], which combined with the length of the jacket does throw off the proportions. Makes your torso look longer and legs shorter.
Yeah, trousers I just pinned up for the photo, I would plan to get them tailored to have no break.

The length looks good, for both pieces, but if 38R avoids shortening the sleeves, then that could be a better option. Did you measure the actual length on these two to see the difference?
The 38R does avoid shortening the sleeves which is nice. Difference in length is exactly 1” (2.5cm)

What are you doing w/ your arms? You're probably between an L and an R, and your drop shoulder is very accentuated w/ the tweed, don't know if I would keep that unless you have a skillful tailor.
I never really know what to do with my arms in photos. Can you explain the drop shoulder a bit more? I’m fairly new to suit related terminology.

Go for the long and work out the break situation so the proportions between trouser and suitcoat harmonize and read as singular. The 38R looks to be cinching upwards when buttoned.
I figured the cinching upward is the result from the waist being too narrow?

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Uneven shoulders. Can be corrected for in bespoke. Idk about how to adjust off the rack items.

zewill

Reaction score
you really need to find a more natural pose, don’t know what to do With your arms? What do you do when someone isn’t taking a picture? Do that!also, I usually go for a 38L. I’d rather adjust the sleeves than the length. Can’t really judge here because it’s hard on pictures with such a pose, such a break (or negative break as put by someone else).
did ou ask your significant other? I’d listen to her (or him), rather than random people you will never see or meet :)
thanks in advance!

monkey66

Reaction score
Today. First outing for navy fresco, full outfit here.
P1010420 copy.jpg

P1010410 copy.jpg

madhat

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I know people have experience washing the Sondrio linen-cotton from searching this thread, but my searching failed to find out whether people experience shrinkage (cold wash, hang dry).
Is anybody able to speak to this? TIA
I soft machine wash on cold mine and hang dry. I have had no shrinking.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
linen t-shirts and a madras jacket (and pants) have already been mentioned, but one thing I would also lie to see: oxford cloth pants.

I had a pair several years back in a light blue that was surprisingly VERY comfortable in warm weather- upgrading to a nicer fabric with side adjusters would be an instant buy for me. maybe in light plue/nantucket red (or pink)

sdjackofclubs

Reaction score
I don't dry clean anything in 100% linen, wool, or cotton.

I always throw the pants in the laundry, at 30C gentle wash, iron it, and then go for hemming. With mixed materials, like linen/cotton, or wool,silk, linen combos, washing needs to be really gentle at 20C to avoid damage. In my personal experience, linen/cotton mixes are most likely to shrink length-wise.
I was thinking about throwing my linen field jacket into the wash to soften it up a bit, and maybe shrink it ever so slightly. What do you think of that idea?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads