• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Jason12

Reaction score
menswear brands seem to be doing linen or blended polos or knits. Inis meain gradient ones are quite well known. rubato has a cashmere/linen and luca faloni does a pure linen. key for polos seems to make the collar not too floppy or the material stretched out

Last edited:

weeqi

Reaction score
Does anyone know if SM suits/sport coats generally have excess material enough for a tailor to turn the non functioning sleeve buttons functional? I rather enjoying embracing my Miami roots and rolling back my suit supply jacket sleeves.

anonymouz

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know if SM suits/sport coats generally have excess material enough for a tailor to turn the non functioning sleeve buttons functional? I rather enjoying embracing my Miami roots and rolling back my suit supply jacket sleeves.

That's doable. You shouldn't need any excess material to get that done.

Jlee80

Reaction score
I’ve got two suits and a sport coat at the tailor right now having functional buttonholes done. Should have them back later this week. I’ll let you know how it turns out!

Jlee80

Reaction score
I’ve got two suits and a sport coat at the tailor right now having functional buttonholes done. Should have them back later this week. I’ll let you know how it turns out!
Should have added, they are all items from Spier and Mackay

Rafael Loh

Reaction score
My fiance took this S&M suit to a bad tailor, who unfortunately shortened the jacket too much. We are hoping to salvage it for our wedding; is it all that bad??
Honestly it looks fine. One trick is to wear trousers closer to your waist.

SpierTeam

Reaction score
Possibly interested in MTO tuxedo. Noticed you can change details on MTO shirts and jackets for tuxedo features (satin lapels, pleated front, etc), but didn't see the option for trousers or waistcoats (no options for satin stripe down the leg, nor u-shape waistcoat + satin buttons). Can these be requested in the notes? Also is it possible to ask for no vents (traditional in black tie)?

Absolutely, we can do the satin stripe down the leg on the trousers and U-shaped vest with satin buttons. We're working on adding these options to the website, however in the meantime just leave a comment during the checkout process and/or send an email with your order number to [email protected].

I would love to take advantage of the Marling & Evans sale for MTO sports coats, but I'm pretty risk-adverse, and it is very hard to imagine what a jacket looks like from a small piece of fabric. It would be great if Spier & Mackay could post a few more pictures of finished jackets. I have my eye on a few of the darker, more conservative colors right now (Navy Glenn Check, Black & Gray Glenn Check, and Brown PoW). Any help S&M?

We would love to have a sample of each jacket to showcase, unfortunately there's just so many fabrics and mills that it's impossible to sample everything. We can however provide more pictures of the fabric swatch we have on hand. Also, take a browse through the Marling & Evans Instagram page, they showcase quite a bit of their collection and it may provide some more context to what the finished jacket will look like.

Joe Schmoe

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My fiance took this S&M suit to a bad tailor, who unfortunately shortened the jacket too much. We are hoping to salvage it for our wedding; is it all that bad??

It looks fine to me. I looked at it carefully for flaw and nothing jumped out. Since you pointed one out, I guess the jacket length is...maybe... a little short, but it's well within normal range, and who cares? The overall look is excellent. Congratulations on getting married!

Litigation Cures All

Reaction score
@spiermackay

(1) Can I request buttons be sewn with shanks when ordering MTM shirts?

(2) Can I machine wash (on delicate, cold water, in wash bag for protection) your merino wool sweaters (quarterzip specifically)? Online it said I could do so, but the tag says dry clean only. I lay it flat to dry on a drying rack afterwards.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
What is the material? Cotton, linen, or mixed? Up to one-inch shrinkage in sleeves may happen with mixed materials at warm washes. Is your medium wash at 60C? Safe is 20-30C at gentle cycle.

It was the lightweight oxford. Thanks for the tips, I've always used medium/cold setting so not sure what the actual temperature is, never had a problem with other shirts or clothes as long as I air dried.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
I washed my shirt in molten lava and sent it down to dry next to the fires of hell. I now only show a tiny amount of cuff when I wear my blazer. Should I get in touch with customer service?

Dumb post and not productive at all.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads