• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does linen even cut it really? I mean if it's 95 and humid out, I don't think it matters what you're wearing.

95 and humid, the only thing that's truly comfortable is something like shorts , sandals, and a fishing shirt (which pisses people of when I say that around here lol). That said- linen or linen/silk blends are about as comfortable as it gets in truly hot weather. Seersucker works okay but is more ideal in dry heat, and true cotton suiting (thinking something in a twill weave) isn't comfortable at all (in my experience)

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ha, so true... I always test out my warm-weather clothing at the beginning of Spring and without fail I put on a cotton suit and think "Actually, this feels just as cool as the linens". Then summer actually hits and I can't understand what I was thinking. That said, I have a half-canvas, completely unlined, seersucker sport coat that is every bit as cool as a linen sport coat, but unfortunately I have no idea who made the cloth. So I do think it's possible to have a comfortable cotton, but although I usually prefer British fabrics over Italian, I always feel that the British never really understand what hot weather means...Whenever I wear a British summer fabric I'm reminded of a journal entry I read by a British officer at a US Revolutionary War battlefield in which he attributed his Army's loss to the extreme heat that he described as inconceivable in England and contrasted the heavy uniforms of the British to the lighter, layered uniforms of the American militia who knew the summer climate.

Reminder that the British were the ones who thought Solaro was a good warm-weather fabric because science or something.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I have a question regarding price differences between types of trousers. Cotton chinos are $48 but high-rise cotton trousers are $118. Why is there such a difference in price? I'm simply curious. Thanks.

Fabrics and complexity of construction.

Chinos - Low count/rugged yarn. Simple, casual construction, faux horn buttons.

High-Rise (I assume the Quest Cotton) Fabric is from HFW/Gladson. Extra Long Staple Cotton. Very refined. Trouser construction is also more laborious, has a pleated waist curtain, gusset, real horn buttons.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Received a couple silk ties, top notch. Waiting on a MTM shirt, but with everything going on in India, not sure when it may be able to be completed -- any ideas @spiermackay?

Have several trousers set to arrive soon along with two more ties. On the trousers, going with several variations in slim 30-31, so we'll see what fits best.

We're on the phones with them every day. Possibly they will have a small group back in the factory on the 15th now. MTM is the priority and based on orders we have, they can clear those within 10 days.

norMD

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

High-Rise (I assume the Quest Cotton) Fabric is from HFW/Gladson. Extra Long Staple Cotton. Very refined. Trouser construction is also more laborious, has a pleated waist curtain, gusset, real horn buttons.

Da ****. You really say price reflects cost?
#mindblown

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a question regarding price differences between types of trousers. Cotton chinos are $48 but high-rise cotton trousers are $118. Why is there such a difference in price? I'm simply curious. Thanks.
Sir, 1). You'll Look Like You're Wearing $48 Pants, 2). You'll Look Like A Millon Bucks! :fonz:

Last edited:

Brennenman

Reaction score
Anyone try the British khaki high waisted trousers? I’m getting mine tomorrow and courious if anyone has them and how they feel about it

conak

Reaction score
Does linen even cut it really? I mean if it's 95 and humid out, I don't think it matters what you're wearing.

I have an unlined linen suit that I can wear in 95 deg with a thin linen shirt and a tie and still be comfortable. The key is no lining. Wherever there is lining becomes a sweat pool, bemberg be damned.

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I'm gonna be honest- the SC sale bums me out a little. In my size (46R) there are 11 options. TEN of them are blue/navy. Guess that saves me some money though :confused:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have an unlined linen suit that I can wear in 95 deg with a thin linen shirt and a tie and still be comfortable. The key is no lining. Wherever there is lining becomes a sweat pool, bemberg be damned.

I wish I could say the same. 95 means sweaty misery, even if I am just wearing swim trunks.

The flip side is that I can wear fresco wool and other light stuff all winter long without being cold.

sid11111

Reaction score

Just curious,what is the advantage of a pleated waist curtain? Some of my trousers have those and I just makes them harder to iron lol.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads