• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hi. For the recent oxford button down shirts (cooper collar shirts), should I expect any shrinkage in the sleeves, length or anywhere else? If so, how much?

Yes. Normal shrinkage. 1/2' in the sleeves. 1/2" to 3/4" in the overall length.

reidrothchild

Reaction score
Very confusing as a manufacturer. There doesn't seem to be any real consensus. Some say too small. Some say too big. Some say just right. Who would have thought fit is subjective? lol. ;)
I did not mean that as a dig at all. I love your stuff and actually find the sizing consistent across all categories: suits, dress shirts, pants, casual wear...so I just size up in everything, and end up getting a fit that I previously thought was only achievable through MTM.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That dog won't hunt today. I think I should've gotten my order before India's issues with the coronavirus were in the news. This is ridiculous. Furthermore, if the coronavirus is causing the delay why not an email to customers whose orders are impacted explaining this to them?

We did send emails and I asked the MTM manager to send follow ups again as the lockdown was extended.

TC11201

Reaction score
I've never been a fan of too much chest drape. It looks like the jacket is too big and creates that odd fold of fabric.
Gotta take a bit of exception here. That’s Edwin DeBoise of Steed, who is an exceptionally talented bespoke tailor (I can attest personally, having three sport coats and a suit he made - his work and fitting process are meticulous and the garments easily the best fitting and most comfortable pieces of tailored clothing I own). The drape cut may not be everyone’s thing, but the jacket is definitely not too big.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
That's likely because the other brand ships via DHL Air Freight. To keep costing down - which has historically meant passing the cost savings on to us (the customers), Spier is likely using boat for transit.

For custom, we use air fright, but consolidated and redistribute from our warehouse. We're working on direct to cut timelines down.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I did not mean that as a dig at all. I love your stuff and actually find the sizing consistent across all categories: suits, dress shirts, pants, casual wear...so I just size up in everything, and end up getting a fit that I previously thought was only achievable through MTM.

Not taken as a dig AT ALL. What I was trying to say in general, is fit is very subjective. It's impossible to design a garment that will fit everyone perfectly. Your comment just cemented that as earlier it was mentioned that the sweatshirts were too big for some. Cheers.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Gotta take a bit of exception here. That’s Edwin DeBoise of Steed, who is an exceptionally talented bespoke tailor (I can attest personally, having three sport coats and a suit he made - his work and fitting process are meticulous and the garments easily the best fitting and most comfortable pieces of tailored clothing I own). The drape cut may not be everyone’s thing, but the jacket is definitely not too big.

Not saying that. I'm saying "I" don't like it. I was stating a personal opinion. I'm very well aware about the advantages of a drape cut. I just don't like the look of the extra fabric. To me, it creates a break in the cloth that my eye can't look away from. That's all.

TC11201

Reaction score
Not saying that. I'm saying "I" don't like it. I was stating a personal opinion. I'm very well aware about the advantages of a drape cut. I just don't like the look of the extra fabric. To me, it creates a break in the cloth that my eye can't look away from. That's all.
Fair enough, to each his own. Age old debate re: drape cuts. When it’s well done, I like the slightly swelled chest and love the comfort/ease of movement. It looks (and feels) relaxed to me. But when it’s when not done well, it can look really off. Like a big fabric-y mess.

pickergc

Reaction score
100% Cotton version would be under $50. Can also do it in cotton/cashmere or cotton/silk....
Or knit polo...
95DA91D8-0272-42AE-A01D-73E8ECE55EDC.gif

Rafael Loh

Reaction score

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did you alter this at all? And is it a Contemp?

Thank you, This S$M Suit 44 Conmp Is Unbelieveable, Tailoring; 1/2 inch On Sleeves, Ordered (2) Extra Pairs Of Trousers, 1) Is Cuffed and the Other Straight Hem. I Can't Believe This (both) Suit Is Still Available. I Have Both The Green And Brown...

Edit; I Have Both Green And Brown Trousers In Conmp 38 For Sale!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Staff online

Forum statistics