• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JohnMRobie

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
B082A20C-CC18-4CD5-A472-E44683568291.gif

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I am thinking of ordering a mto shirt and mto sportcoat. Due to the situation in India, would the shirt and jacket have to both be finished first from china and india and then sent together to me? or shipped separately from each country as they are completed? I don't mind waiting as clothes are not that urgent but just to get an idea.

Made separately, shipped separately.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
I've been wondering this as well. I've seen a fabric avaliable in the custom suit, jacket and trouser section but not amongst waistcoat fabrics. Do we just email customer service and ask for a price quote?

If it can be made into a jacket, it can be made into a waistcoat. Technically, it should be in both. If it's not, the MTM manager, needs to be made aware. You can DM me the link to the item and I can have Mike add it.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@spiermackay Is it possible to request pockets like these through MTO? Not sure what to call them, jetted hacking pockets?

86b48045-b0b6-44f4-9fcb-4448ce2a0231.jpg

Those have a slight curve to them. A sraight angled jet is possible, as the jet is the same as a hacking pocket without the flap. But this curve, I don't think we can do as the jets are curved as well.

thisfits

Reaction score
If orders are going to be delayed this long there's no way in hell you can make me think I'm wrong for expecting an explanation.

To be fair, this isn't an unreasonable expectation.

When we choose to shop small, we can't compare the expectations to the likes of Amazon & Target. The tech stack & sheer amount of employees makes it like comparing apples to orangutans

Considering there are probably dozens if not hundreds of MTO orders that are in multiple stages of production it would be probably unrealistic to have a specific email drafted pertaining to your production schedule. Would you be satisfied with a blanket email notifying you of a delay with no realistic timeframe provided?

Yes, but the spectrum from S&M to billion-dollar retailers is quite wide, and there's room for improvement. For example, Beckett Simonon is another DTC company with a MTO model, and I found even pre-COVID they did an excellent job of setting expectations by proactively communicating (over-communicating, even) about delays. During COVID, they were quick to let customers know about a local government shutdown, and explaining their plan both for delayed orders and the livelihoods of their factory workers. I came away impressed and satisfied as a customer. They did this without offering a timeframe for when orders would be delivered, IIRC.

I'm pretty sure Rick is doing everything he can, including absorbing ridiculous air freight costs as he's already outlined in this thread, to get product delivered.

This.

I'd pay the extra money if it means I get my purchases in a timely manner. And, I think a lot of other people would too. I don't think $25/$35 dollars more would make Spier customers not buy products from them.

I dunno ... earlier in this thread someone was asking about a $5 increase in the price of linen shirts from last season.

100% agree a heads up would be nice. But you could also reach out and I'd be willing to bet they'd have gladly given you an update if they had access to some info different than what you're seeing.

Have you emailed customer service?

This. I have a fairly high tolerance for delays when it comes to MTO from small retailers (I had an order in with ToJ during their legendary collapse back in 2014), so I just roll with it and reach out when I think it's appropriate.

For S&M, I had a MTO suit order much earlier in the pandemic. I reached out a week or two after the normal delivery window passed, and Haris was quick to get back to me with what he knew. Good enough for me.

Viatu's gripes are fair, but he hasn't answered the question about emailing customer service yet.

FWIW, this weekend I received a MTO sport coat I ordered on March 20. I find that remarkably fast and very impressive. Overall, I'm pleased as a customer, especially in light of everything else they've delivered on in the past year and a half.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Yearly interest check on if anyone else wants an English Drape cut in MTO?

To my eyes, it occupies a nice middle ground from current Neopolitan tailoring and a structured British cut.

74415299_238465667124201_6691902808471255487_n.jpg

I've never been a fan of too much chest drape. It looks like the jacket is too big and creates that odd fold of fabric.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Seconding advice to size up on the sweatshirts. I'm between L and XL in most brands, and the XL SM hoodie fits me more like a Medium in other brands. It is very slim.

Very confusing as a manufacturer. There doesn't seem to be any real consensus. Some say too small. Some say too big. Some say just right. Who would have thought fit is subjective? lol. ;)

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone get the white chambray either the popover or BD? How heavy is this weave? do you think it's suitable for a hot summer?

Up close they look kinda heavy. I'm talking about this one:
View attachment 1603837

Yes a bit heavy. Open weave and do breathe, but these showed up much later than they were supposed to. Great casual shirts. I've been test driving one for a few months and really like how casual it is. Think of it as a VERY casual OCBD.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Question for @spiermackay and the thread: any interest in Spier & Mackay knitted t-shirts?

I was inspired to pick one up from Uniqlo last year after seeing this thread's own @pickergc wear it with a S&M jacket, and I was surprised at how much I liked it. Along with a similar short-sleeve sweatshirt from Todd Snyder, it kinda became a goto pandemic WFH piece for me, layered under a chunky cardigan.

More luxe versions in fine cotton or wool start around $90; I'm curious what pricepoint S&M could hit.

100% Cotton version would be under $50. Can also do it in cotton/cashmere or cotton/silk....

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Curious, does the search function in MTO shirt fabrics every work for others? It's never worked for me. Type in my query and hit enter (or click the magnifying glass) and nada.

Also, does anyone know the difference between chambray twill and "normal" chambray?

Chambray twill is a twill weave. Normal chambray is a plain weave.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads