• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think these collars (like the polo) are oversized for someone of your frame and seemingly slimmer fit preference
Yes, the collar is a tad big on a 14.5 Slim. It is the italian spread if not mistaken. Unsure if there is plans to make these go up in size scale with sizes, maybe @spiermackay can say if this is in plan for future.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yes, the collar is a tad big on a 14.5 Slim. It is the italian spread if not mistaken. Unsure if there is plans to make these go up in size scale with sizes, maybe @spiermackay can say if this is in plan for future.

I'm Starting Too Like This (Italian C13) Spread OTR Only, After A Couple Of Wash And Dry!

This Linen/Cotton, I'd Wash And Hang, Wash And Hang, I Do Want This Shirt!!! :bounce2:

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm Starting Too Like This (Italian C13) Spread OTR Only, After A Couple Of Wash And Dry!

This Linen/Cotton, I'd Wash And Hang, Wash And Hang, I Do Want This Shirt!!! :bounce2:
It’s a nice more casual, yet dressy shirt. The linen/cotton works well with the hidden placket and spread collar. I wanted the gingham, but was sold out so chose this as another summer alternative

bc78

Reaction score
Any owners of the Moon Medium Blue Tweed out there? I'm wondering if the pants would work with a navy flannel blazer or are too close in color. Thanks!

SoundBrewer

Reaction score
Any owners of the Moon Medium Blue Tweed out there? I'm wondering if the pants would work with a navy flannel blazer or are too close in color. Thanks!
I have them, and they’re a true medium blue. There’s enough contrast to wear them with a navy coat. That said, I prefer to wear them with a patterned jacket which includes some blue rather than blue head to toe.

conak

Reaction score
Why are the recently released linen shirts $5 more expensive than the last batch from a month ago?

Unsound governmental monetary policy in nearly every country in the world.

bc78

Reaction score
I have them, and they’re a true medium blue. There’s enough contrast to wear them with a navy coat. That said, I prefer to wear them with a patterned jacket which includes some blue rather than blue head to toe.

Thanks so much! Agreed that all blue won't be my first choice, just wanted to make sure the option is available

apd90700

Reaction score
Tried a clearance Suit in 38s. Went to Dillards the weekend before ordering from S&M to make sure the off the rack 38s in suit jackets fit me. Unfortunately the S&M 38s contemporary didn't fit very well -- sleeve is about .5-1.5" long, the waist of the jacket isn't tapered at all [doesn't conform to my frame, very tent like], and the pant beyond being too wide in the waist by about 2.5", it's also billowy in the leg -- probably need to bring the thigh width in about 3" and the hem about 2" -- which the slim offering wouldn't have done based on the trouser customization screen for 32". Even if I had gone with the slim fitting option, there would have needed to be alterations done after the fact looks like -- predicated on the custom trouser screen. I'm thinking the jacket might have been somewhat acceptable in a slim 38s, but the sleeve length would have been too long, and the waist may have required alterations as well. I did request the trousers be hemmed to 27.5" [Google recommendations were 27" at my height, and I believe the 27" is accurate for no break, so it'd be what I go with next], and having the requested 27.5" inseam was the best fitting measurement of the suit jacket/trouser combination. Best feature of the off the rack offering was the Navy Sharkskin material in S120 which is very nice, with good luster, drape and hand.

Overall, I would probably not buy an off the rack from S&M again, and would have opted to first buy a pair of trousers customized to measurements I specify. This way I have the control over the item dimensions since off the rack doesn't fit like most would want [form fitting]. In total the suit is not fashionably wearable without heavy alterations -- if you wanted to look like someone who buys ill-fitting off the rack clothing you probably wouldn't be reading styleforum posts :).

As a caveat emptor, for those looking at the trouser customization. Going based on Brian Sacawa's Hespoke recommendation, hem should be 13-14" for someone 5'9" [I'm 5'7"], and the slim trouser offering from S&M requires you go to a 29" default measurement for the utility to allow a 13.5" hem, you could go 30" with 13.7", but worth noting. If you really want to dial in your actual measurements to form fit, you may need to drop the perceived waist measurement below what you actually wear to allow the utility to select the measurements for a given spec [would be a good site update to correct this] -- 31" waist is my usual fit for store off the rack.

Rafsan

Reaction score
Tried a clearance Suit in 38s. Went to Dillards the weekend before ordering from S&M to make sure the off the rack 38s in suit jackets fit me. Unfortunately the S&M 38s contemporary didn't fit very well -- sleeve is about .5-1.5" long, the waist of the jacket isn't tapered at all [doesn't conform to my frame, very tent like], and the pant beyond being too wide in the waist by about 2.5", it's also billowy in the leg -- probably need to bring the thigh width in about 3" and the hem about 2" -- which the slim offering wouldn't have done based on the trouser customization screen for 32". Even if I had gone with the slim fitting option, there would have needed to be alterations done after the fact looks like -- predicated on the custom trouser screen. I'm thinking the jacket might have been somewhat acceptable in a slim 38s, but the sleeve length would have been too long, and the waist may have required alterations as well. I did request the trousers be hemmed to 27.5" [Google recommendations were 27" at my height, and I believe the 27" is accurate for no break, so it'd be what I go with next], and having the requested 27.5" inseam was the best fitting measurement of the suit jacket/trouser combination. Best feature of the off the rack offering was the Navy Sharkskin material in S120 which is very nice, with good luster, drape and hand.

Overall, I would probably not buy an off the rack from S&M again, and would have opted to first buy a pair of trousers customized to measurements I specify. This way I have the control over the item dimensions since off the rack doesn't fit like most would want [form fitting]. In total the suit is not fashionably wearable without heavy alterations -- if you wanted to look like someone who buys ill-fitting off the rack clothing you probably wouldn't be reading styleforum posts :).

As a caveat emptor, for those looking at the trouser customization. Going based on Brian Sacawa's Hespoke recommendation, hem should be 13-14" for someone 5'9" [I'm 5'7"], and the slim trouser offering from S&M requires you go to a 29" default measurement for the utility to allow a 13.5" hem, you could go 30" with 13.7", but worth noting. If you really want to dial in your actual measurements to form fit, you may need to drop the perceived waist measurement below what you actually wear to allow the utility to select the measurements for a given spec [would be a good site update to correct this] -- 31" waist is my usual fit for store off the rack.
With all due respect, it seems like you had odd expectations for an off the rack suit fitting you as if it was custom made for you. As well IMO, I would not rely on internet/google advice for measurements based on something as general as height, when there can be so much variance in proportions between individuals. You’d be much better off taking your actual measurements and comparing those to the measurement charts to get a good fit. Needing alterations to an OTR suit (sleeve length, waist, hemming) is to be mostly expected if your body measurements dictate, unless you are lucky enough to perfectly fit the base pattern.

apd90700

Reaction score
With all due respect, it seems like you had odd expectations for an off the rack suit fitting you as if it was custom made for you. As well IMO, I would not rely on internet/google advice for measurements based on something as general as height, when there can be so much variance in proportions between individuals. You’d be much better off taking your actual measurements and comparing those to the measurement charts to get a good fit. Needing alterations to an OTR suit (sleeve length, waist, hemming) is to be mostly expected if your body measurements dictate, unless you are lucky enough to perfectly fit the base pattern.
Comment -- With all due respect, it seems like you had odd expectations for an off the rack suit fitting you as if it was custom made for you.
Answer -- No, my expectations were that it would fit as well as a Dillard's otr, which it did not. Since my bar was set low, and the S&M otr did not meet those expectations, that is unfortunate.

Comment -- As well IMO, I would not rely on internet/google advice for measurements based on something as general as height, when there can be so much variance in proportions between individuals.
Answer -- The only measurement that was to my liking was the measurement I Googled, so this would be contrary to the result achieved.

Comment -- You’d be much better off taking your actual measurements and comparing those to the measurement charts to get a good fit.
Answer -- I did take my own measurements and did compare those to the size chart. I also wanted to try on an off the rack suit jacket that fit in person at a department store to ensure measurements I took weren't off base.

Comment -- Needing alterations to an OTR suit (sleeve length, waist, hemming) is to be mostly expected if your body measurements dictate, unless you are lucky enough to perfectly fit the base pattern.
Answer -- Yes, we know.

Overall -- My original post was sound. I wouldn't buy an OTR S&M only to pay to have it altered which may vary in cost by region. Better to pay more for a custom trouser and jacket to get the sizing dialed in from the beginning and avoid wasted time and money.

Last edited:

Rafsan

Reaction score
Comment -- With all due respect, it seems like you had odd expectations for an off the rack suit fitting you as if it was custom made for you.
Answer -- No, my expectations were that it would fit as well as a Dillard's otr, which it did not. Since my bar was set low, and the S&M otr did not meet those expectations, that is unfortunate.

Comment -- As well IMO, I would not rely on internet/google advice for measurements based on something as general as height, when there can be so much variance in proportions between individuals.
Answer -- The only measurement that was to my liking was the measurement I Googled, so this would be contrary to the result achieved.

Comment -- You’d be much better off taking your actual measurements and comparing those to the measurement charts to get a good fit.
Answer -- I did take my own measurements and did compare those to the size chart. I also wanted to try on an off the rack suit jacket that fit in person at a department store to ensure measurements I took weren't off base.

Comment -- Needing alterations to an OTR suit (sleeve length, waist, hemming) is to be mostly expected if your body measurements dictate, unless you are lucky enough to perfectly fit the base pattern.
Answer -- Yes, we know.

Overall -- My original post was sound.
Ok. Good luck.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads