• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Imperatores

Reaction score
To those who have tried the linen field jackets -
From looking at the size charts, if I wanted to wear the field jackets as a casual sport coat substitute (so with only a shirt beneath), I should size down to achieve a more sport coat-like fit? Eg. if I am a 38 in the SC, I should get the field jacket in a 36?

Yes, that is what I did. I wear 38 sportcoats and suits, but took a 36 linen field jacket. Very comfortable fit with a bit more room through the chest and waist than a SC, but not so much that it looks too slouchy. The drawstring adds a lot of shape. Depending on your height it might not entirely cover your behind, though.

There's actually plenty of room for more than just a shirt underneath, in my case. I could wear a cable knit turtleneck under it if I wanted to (and it made any sense to).

CorozoButton

Reaction score
Yes, that is what I did. I wear 38 sportcoats and suits, but took a 36 linen field jacket. Very comfortable fit with a bit more room through the chest and waist than a SC, but not so much that it looks too slouchy. The drawstring adds a lot of shape. Depending on your height it might not entirely cover your behind, though.

There's actually plenty of room for more than just a shirt underneath, in my case. I could wear a cable knit turtleneck under it if I wanted to (and it made any sense to).
Thank you so much for the input. Mind if I ask which colour you went for?

Imperatores

Reaction score
Thank you so much for the input. Mind if I ask which colour you went for?

Sure, I initially went for the navy and the natural linen, but returned the natural linen as it had some off spec measurements (way too low armholes). I'm very pleased with the navy, though. I would've gotten the moss green as well if it didn't sell out so quickly. If you want to wear it slightly more dressed up I'd say the navy is the obvious choice.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I promise, my last plug for M&E, but I do love their fabrics. I think they'd be great for MTO outerwear. Natural collection has some decent heft to it at 720g, and is rather soft for tweed. My Zanieri herringbone polo coat is great, but relatively lighter and more scratchy too.

In my head, MTO outerwear buyers would like fabrics like these.

Love this fabric, and the length of the coat!

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
I'm inching towards my first MTO sport coat purchase but I confirmed with CS that the only lining colors are black, navy, and burgundy. I'd like my first purchase to be a seersucker jacket but I'm wary about a dark-colored lining showing through (navy is the only reasonably close color option for a blue or navy seersucker IMO). It seems odd that white is not a lining color option but what do I know? I could pay the $20 upcharge for an unlined jacket.

For folks who've purchased quarter-lined summer/light-colored sport coats, what is the color of the lining?

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm inching towards my first MTO sport coat purchase but I confirmed with CS that the only lining colors are black, navy, and burgundy. I'd like my first purchase to be a seersucker jacket but I'm wary about a dark-colored lining showing through (navy is the only reasonably close color option for a blue or navy seersucker IMO). It seems odd that white is not a lining color option but what do I know? I could pay the $20 upcharge for an unlined jacket.

For folks who've purchased quarter-lined summer/light-colored sport coats, what is the color of the lining?

For RTW, the only summer weight suit I have with white lining is a white 100% linen suit from a couple years ago. My honey silk/linen suit from 2019 (I think that's the blend) has a burgundy lining, my seersucker suit from last year has a black lining, and my Solaro suit from last year (I think) has a burgundy lining- all quarter-lined, and I haven't had issues with the lining showing through.

All that said- If it were me, I'd probably opt for unlined on a summer weight jacket

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All my RTW SS SCs feature navy lining.

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
For RTW, the only summer weight suit I have with white lining is a white 100% linen suit from a couple years ago. My honey silk/linen suit from 2019 (I think that's the blend) has a burgundy lining, my seersucker suit from last year has a black lining, and my Solaro suit from last year (I think) has a burgundy lining- all quarter-lined, and I haven't had issues with the lining showing through.

All that said- If it were me, I'd probably opt for unlined on a summer weight jacket

Would you mind posting a few pics of the seersucker suit showing the lining?

JayDee90

Reaction score
I would be more concerned with canvassing showing through a very dark but porous fabric (say heavier fresco or hopsack) but I don't think that has ever been an issue.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sure:
F14852F8-3F00-444D-850C-EB7A1E1125A2.jpeg
2AFA2C94-24E7-4F85-B9D3-7D7995BCAAC5.jpeg

this is the Hardy Minnis one from I think beginning of last year. I took this pic in direct sunlight, but there’s no transparency to it

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks! That alleviates any concern.

No problem! I should add that it helps that the fabric has such a distracting pattern- even if the lining did show through, I doubt it would be noticeable. The white linen suit though...I understand why they went with white lining on that lol

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I've mentioned this a few times. Denim can be arranged, but you won't get the hi/low effect on the seams if we just do cut/sew. Without that effect the shirt looks a bit dull.

The other option is do what PC does and open MTM denim to an order window, collect all orders and and do a group wash.
Got an example of it? Or, since it can be arranged, is it possible to pay for one and be the guinea pig so everyone will know? I'm actually curious if that way will make it possible to sneak into semi-formal wear.

ericgereghty

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Have you ever considered suit fabrics in charcoal/brown and dove grey @spiermackay? If not RTW/OTR, maybe through MTO? I'd definitely be in for both.

Dove grey (@Alan Bee)

Charcoal/brown

+1. Would LOVE to see the lightest grey Fresco made up as a suiting option. Mid-grey is great, butttttt I also have 2 of them already lol

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 16 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.2%

Forum statistics

Threads