• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Agree. I can’t tell
Based on that, I'm not even sure that it'd make a good SC. The pattern might just be to small for that, which would in fact make a better suit. It's a Minnis stock photo, so I'm fairly sure S&M won't be able to help either.

I fell into a trap like this last fall. Ordered a dark brown VBC fabric for a MTO jacket. The herringbone pattern looked large in scale and the fabric looked rather dry and cool. Upon arrival, it was apparent the pattern was actually smaller than I had envisioned (not small enough for it to make a perfect conservative suit, and not large enough to be a perfect SC) and the fabric itself had some sheen to it. It does work as a SC, but it's neither perfect nor what I was looking for 100 %. Am now considering adding a pair of trousers to make it a somewhat casual suit (being brown helps).

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Vox Jr wearing @spiermackay :slayer:
Screenshot_20210419_144907.jpg

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
I recommend you find the right size from the OTR selection then from there, make the adjustments on your MTO. The adjustments are actually very limited so you'll be keeping most of the S&M signature shape/style. If you don't find anything that works OTR, then I highly doubt you'll be able to make something custom that fits 10/10.

That's disappointing as none of the OTR options are large enough. I'm a 45 extra long. I tried a 44L three years ago and it was too small in every regard.

EDIT: apparently you can go up to much larger sizes. Max length with a 45 is 34.3" which should work.

Capture.JPG

Last edited:

TheLawBeard

Reaction score
I've been eyeballing that Minnis Black & White POW Fresco MTO fabric, for a suit. For a sport jacket its a no brainer, but having trouble imagining whether it works as a suit. Anybody seen a fabric like this as a suit? Will it just appear as another gray suit from a distance, or will it be perceived as black and white, which is what I would want. Thoughts? @spiermackay ?

So I was curious about this too. I found https://luxire.com/products/minnis-fresco-black-white-prince-of-wales-checkfresco_0510#/ which I *think* is likely the same fabric.

sid11111

Reaction score
My only gripe about them is that the rib collar doesn't hold its shape for long.
I second this. Very decent fabric for the price. Great fit. Lousy collars which really makes the t shirt look much poorer quality overall than it actually is.

I love wearing it but the collar curling up really stops me from wearing them anywhere other than around the house.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads