• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

carterjones

Reaction score
Yes to all.
Is that a yes to closer in length to the topcoat or the balmacaan? Seems the balmacaan comes in about half a foot longer in length, hoping that it will be longer since a lot of trench coats these days follow the trend of being above the knee (which tends to cover the torso from rain rather well, but then the water just streams onto your knees and upper thighs).

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
have you purchased them for a sportcoat? Who do you go through? I have a navy linen jacket that I’ve been thinking about swapping the buttons for white MoP
I have not purchased MOP buttons for a sportcoat, but that's a good idea. I don't think they will be as thick as shirt buttons though I haven't seen 4mm thick sportcoat buttons before. I've only ever bought buffalo horn to replace the cheap plastic buttons on stuff I get from Banana / J.Crew etc.

I go through ETSY from a seller called "The Thackery" and also Yiu Wah Button. The link is here: Smoke Mother of Pearl (MOP) Suit Buttons (ywbutton.com)

dukenukem4ever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
do you use a sewing machine or just do it by hand with a needle and thread?
All done by hand with needle and thread. I bought a cheap sewing kit off of Amazon and learned from googling. After I got pretty good with sewing a button on a shirt the traditional way I thought it would be pretty cool if I learned how to do crow's feet stitching which took a little bit longer. But it's worth it and I like the way it looks. Especially so if you use a different colored thread from that of the garment you work on because that makes it stand out much more. White thread on white MOP no one will notice lol.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
do you use a sewing machine or just do it by hand with a needle and thread?
I don’t think a home sewing machine would work well for sewing a button on a sportcoat or suit jacket where you don’t want the thread to go all the way through.
Here is a guide from @jefferyd that has worked well for me. Takes me about 10 minutes per button but I’m slow.

Angel91

Reaction score
Hello guys! Any European customers would like to share the experience of ordering from S&M?

Last edited:

yungchomsky

Reaction score
5 pocket cords and washed cotton jacket

5323CECB-406A-4858-AEEF-997E9974F357.jpeg

Nonchalance.shop

Reaction score
@spiermackay
The Quest Cotton hi rise, Khaki, has a yellow undertone in the photo. Does the photo accurately represent the color iRL? Hope so, I kind of like the color as photographed.

Hi,
I just received this one yesterday and the IRL color is the same as the picture on the SP website. I tried to take a picture but my Iphone 5 doesn't honnour it!

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Potatoe

Reaction score
Boarded the Safari hype train. Received it and immediately thought... when and where the heck would I wear this thing when it’s >90 out. Likely nowhere so it’s going back. This was the last 40 if anyone is looking for it. What I do like is the length and waist position compared to the F/W field jacket. I really hope they do this cut in a F/W version
If you get some tan shorts and a cute hat, you will have a perfect costume for Halloween.
:)

Potatoe

Reaction score
Nice, I'm loving my 5 pocket cords. It's looking like they'll be my gateway drug to the world of Spier & Mackay (S&M just didn't look right in that sentence!).
Yes I also have to comment on how much I love the cords.
I love the sweaters as well.

Duke Santos

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My Green pair. They're a little loose, but I've lost a bunch of weight lately. I'll probably give them 5 or 10 minutes in a medium dryer and see what that does and then take them in for hemming.

qp75Fe.jpg

Shirt: Thomas Pink
Belt: AE Ranger Street
Shoes: AE Leiden Weaves

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Is that a yes to closer in length to the topcoat or the balmacaan? Seems the balmacaan comes in about half a foot longer in length, hoping that it will be longer since a lot of trench coats these days follow the trend of being above the knee (which tends to cover the torso from rain rather well, but then the water just streams onto your knees and upper thighs).

Balmacaan length. Below the Knee. Humphy Bogart Style.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Hello guys! Any European customers would like to share the experience of ordering from S&M?

Ordering is easy. Depending on your country, you may get hit with Duties/VAT charges. We do offer a 50% credit on the duty portion to help offset it. Just email CS with your order# and copy of the receipt.

We ship via UPS, so speed is fairly good. Usually less than a week.

Returns suck as we can't offer a pick up service yet. Not going to lie about that. So returns are at the buyers expense UNLESS there is a product defect.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
My Green pair. They're a little loose, but I've lost a bunch of weight lately. I'll probably give them 5 or 10 minutes in a medium dryer and see what that does and then take them in for hemming.

View attachment 1595200

Shirt: Thomas Pink
Belt: AE Ranger Street
Shoes: AE Leiden Weaves

Congrats on the weight loss! Cords look great!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Staff online

Forum statistics