• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe 1.5cm wider through the chest and body when laid flat on a slim 16.5
Thanks. Did you size down? I was thinking about sizing down but wondering if I’d have trouble pulling it on over my shoulders because no stretch

Rafsan

Reaction score
? Almost looks brown next to the bottle green. Is that how it looks IRL?
It’s definitely an earthier shade of green when compared to the bottle green, but when worn it is very clearly green. A great shade of green.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks. Did you size down? I was thinking about sizing down but wondering if I’d have trouble pulling it on over my shoulders because no stretch

I've never owned S&M popovers, but I've owned a bunch from other brands- they definitely need to be a little bit bigger to pull them on. I'll post thoughts/fit pics when I get mine in tomorrow, but I went with my normal size personally (15 Slim)

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
What is the point of a popover compared with a shirt if you need to get a baggy fit just to put it on?

It officially marks the point where you own 50+ button-front shirts and need an excuse to keep buying more shirts. Source: I started buying popovers a few summers ago but stopped myself at three.

They are a fun, casual, slightly different garment. Mine aren't overly baggy but I wouldn't call them slim. I think the fit is good. One is from J. Crew, two are from Abercrombie, of all places. A linen, a madras, and a chambray.

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It officially marks the point where you own 50+ button-front shirts and need an excuse to keep buying more shirts. Source: I started buying popovers a few summers ago but stopped myself at three.

They are a fun, casual, slightly different garment. Mine aren't overly baggy but I wouldn't call them slim. I think the fit is good. One is from J. Crew, two are from Abercrombie, of all places. A linen, a madras, and a chambray.
Basically this. Most of the style of a button up with less utility.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the point of a popover compared with a shirt if you need to get a baggy fit just to put it on?

I feel like its a middle ground in formality between a polo and a full button dress shirt. A good example of this is Reyn Spooner popovers vs their regular full button shirts- *technically* the full-button ones are considered more dressy than than the same print in a popover.

Popovers are also just a different detail on a shirt that I enjoy- I think linen or linen blend popovers with a summer suit is a great semi-casual look

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really like the richness of the Fox Air brown trousers. I think the color is quite versatile. I imagine it would pair well with my sportcoats below and dark brown suede loafers. Now I wish I had bought the full suit lol.

View attachment 1593436
Yes! All these combos work well.

Really? They are a warm tobacco and work really well as an odd trouser. Chocolate/Darker browns shoes work well. Even Black loafers would be sharp. Jackets. All over the place. Blues, Greens, Creams all would be good pairings.

Agreed, I treat this color similar to how I would pair dark khaki, pretty much goes with anything, except a similar shade of brown.
This shot is fantastic!

Yes, yes it is.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
This:
Popovers are also just a different detail on a shirt that I enjoy- I think linen or linen blend popovers with a summer suit is a great semi-casual look

+ everyone is not obsessed with shirts being slimmed down to the max...a looser fit can look great. It's not 2010 anymore.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If you enjoy wearing smocks, then go ahead.

I don't think that's a fair comparison, that's like saying your two options are painted-on skinny or Brooks Brothers tent-like "traditional fit". I wear primarily slim fit shirts and cant stand shirts with a ton of excess fabric (Brooks Milano fit makes up a not-insignificant percentage of my closet and fits me about as close to MTM as I've gotten OTR). While popovers are slightly roomier to accommodate pulling it over your head, that doesn't at all mean its a baggy fit.

My slim-fit ones come in tomorrow, I'll post an analysis and comparison to some other shirts.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads