• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would love to see all these ivy features as well.

Back on page 4179 you can see pics of my MTO attempt at something resembling ivy in green herringbone Harris Tweed. The most significant feature being flaps on patch hip pockets, but also I paired a 3/2 with the smaller standard lapels. Tho, as I noted in my older post, the pockets come up short on the ivy vibes without lapped seams.

The other feature I'd love to see (which I requested but was told it wasn't possible) is a throat latch. This would allow you to make kindof an English hacking jacket. Theoretically, a throat latch should be an easy feature to add, I see throat latches on cheap, mass produced jackets all the time. At the same time, if S&M isn't getting a bunch of requests, there probably wouldn't be the will to add the option. Tho, I bet if they added a removable throat latch to some RTW tweeds, it could spark a little wow factor to get ppl who already have some tweeds to reach in their wallets once again. And, if it's removable, it wouldn't be a deterrent to anyone who didn't like it.

Taking the hacking jacket theme one step further, would be adding an option for bellows hip pockets, which would be totally awesome.

If you add the throat latch and bellows patch pockets to a Harris tweed, you're a belt away from a Norfolk lol.

I'd definitely buy one, but you want to talk about a niche item...

SmoothLefty

Reaction score
I'd add that I think a true undarted sack fit would be a niche enough item that it wouldn't sell well (maaaybe on AAAC, but they'd probably complain about it not being MiUSA). Seems like it'd need to be a super limited GMTO, but even then, a sack fit (and hook vent for that matter) would be a significant alteration to the standard cut.

Agreed. I'd be fine with darts if we got the rest of the Ivy details.

alkydrinker

Reaction score
If you add the throat latch and bellows patch pockets to a Harris tweed, you're a belt away from a Norfolk lol.

I'd definitely buy one, but you want to talk about a niche item...

Idk, I have a semi-recent PRL brown herrringbone tweed with bellows pockets and throat latch - but importantly NO beltback - and it reads as a contemporary piece. Ralph has done these details alot over the decades without driving off the cliff into the Fedora Lounge abyss.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk, I have a semi-recent PRL brown herrringbone tweed with bellows pockets and throat latch - but importantly NO beltback - and it reads as a contemporary piece. Ralph has done these details alot over the decades without driving off the cliff into the Fedora Lounge abyss.

That's fair- thinking about it I did have a PRL tweed with a throat latch at one time.

Last edited:

schraiber

Reaction score
Hey guys/Spier,

I’m thinking of getting the olive lightweight chinos:

Are they a true olive, or are they more like a grey-green? The pics show a distinctly cool and grey colour with some green in it.

Any daylight pics would be appreciated!
I have a pair and they're much more liek a grey-green, I think actually without looking closely you might almost think they're grey. Still definitely distinct from something like charcoal though.

jdhoop

Reaction score
Does anyone know the differences between the "double breasted" and "traditional peak lapel - double breasted" MTM suit patterns? It looks like the peaks might be lower on the traditional option, but there isn't a description.

Thanks!

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Need a suit for a summer wedding and all my suits are in storage across the country. Thanks never ending pandemic.

What's your guys favorite hot-weather S&M suit?

From a couple seasons ago, the honey linen/silk blend suit. It's incredible, I actually might be wearing it to a wedding next month

afterthesuit

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone know the differences between the "double breasted" and "traditional peak lapel - double breasted" MTM suit patterns? It looks like the peaks might be lower on the traditional option, but there isn't a description.

Thanks!
There's a flatter gorge shape and slightly less belly to the lapels on the trad one, if I remember correctly. I think @spiermackay talked about it a day or 20 pages ago haha

JIMIG

Reaction score
For those who have received items (shorts or safaris) in the current cream linen fabric: does it look cream IRL? In some of the pics I have seen, it looks more white than cream.

apd90700

Reaction score
S&M vs Black Lapel custom suit. Anyone bought both and have an opinion?

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Don't have an opinion on Black Lapel but start w/ the company whose RTW products/house cut you prefer because it's often used as the template for custom work. My experience w/ Spier & Mackay in-person MTM was excellent and I'm ecstatic with the fit and appearance of the final product.

_dm_so_

Reaction score
This question has probably been asked here, but when will there be more linen fabrics in custom shirts section? ?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads