• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
@spiermackay is there any plans to alter the cut on the high rise contemp trousers? I'm sure I'm not the only one that still feels as though the contemp is still too tight in the thighs, and having to sizing up once or twice and tapering the waist seems to be the common consensus. Seems like people are calling out for an edit to the OTR pattern.

Really? For example the 34 already has a 27.5" thigh, that's in line with most competitors in this space.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Anyone with the dress chinos? Are they really dry clean only? I bought a couple pairs not realizing that designation, and that just won’t work for my purposes. Will need to return if I can’t wash at home.

Also, an “athletic fit” would be huge. Nothing y’all currently offer fits me in any real way without sizing up and major alterations to waist and leg end

Mostly because of the curtained waist. There is Interlining in the waist and the post wash, ironing is tricky. You can safely wash them at home in cold/air dry. Just be mindful of when you iron the waistband.

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
As it should be!:-D

In other news, someone was asking for pics of any of the Guabello tobacco wool pieces. Well, there they are (assuming they are still in the box; I’ll know when I get home).

Maybe not enough TLC by UPS or maybe not the greatest packing job. We’ll see what’s inside.

View attachment 1591910
View attachment 1591919

That did not leave our warehouse like that, I can promise you that. WTF.

Click821

Reaction score
Need some fit advice. Im a 38R in the Havana SuitSupply with no need for tailoring. In the neopolitan cut in the same size would a good fit out of the box?

spiermackay

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Need some fit advice. Im a 38R in the Havana SuitSupply with no need for tailoring. In the neopolitan cut in the same size would a good fit out of the box?

Same size in contemporary would need a tiny bit taken in at the waist. Neapolitan is supposed to be a slightly fuller cut as is.

Slim is a little slimmer overall compared to the Havana.

Imperatores

Reaction score
The armholes on the linen should be the same as on the wools. The only thing adjusted was the shoulder width by 2 cm. On a 40, the armhole height from the centre back should be 27 cm, which is fairly standard and considered a higher armhole. You may have got something off spec. Send it back.

Linen is notoriously difficult to work with, it shifts around a lot in the machine and has a tendency to stretch under the needle. Linen will never fit the same as wool unfortunately unless we add some stretch.

I'm glad to hear that you haven't deliberately lowered them from the wools. You've added a bit of room in the chest and waist as well, no? Will you be using the same shoulder width and general pattern as the wools for upcoming FW field jackets, or are these linens the new standard? 27 cm armholes on size 40 sounds very reasonable. A lot more reasonable than 29 on my size 36, which appears to be an unfortunate off spec product then.

Good to have you back, btw. The thread is much better when you're participating. Will you be adding field jackets to the new MTO outerwear selection?

Alright, here’s a data point on the Safari jacket (ignore the super-elegant Lululemon shorts and Margaritaville t-shirt). Reminder that I normally wear 38L contemporary or 38R contemporary Neo, I’m a 38” chest, 32” waist, 34.5” sleeve, 15” neck, and 5’11”/155. This jacket is a 38:

The armholes look okay here, but I'd have to agree that the jacket itself probably isn't the best look for you. A bit shapeless and sloppy, and the color, belt and length combines to make it a bit much. I personally feel that the field jacket looks much better than the safari and blends into a modern wardrobe much easier. Provided that it fits well and the color isn't too attention grabbing. The safari needs to be expertly paired and fit near flawlessly to avoid looking a bit affected and costumey, imo.

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
Yeppers. Many people still stuck in "skinny" fit mentality.

For me it's the seat really more than the thighs (too much kettlebells). An athletic fit would be great but I don't think there'd be enough demand to justify it outside of an MTO pattern maybe.

Hieronymous

Reaction score
Hi Rick, do you know what the deal is with the Fox Air suits? For some reason they don't seem to be showing up on the website anymore! Thanks

schraiber

Reaction score
Same size in contemporary would need a tiny bit taken in at the waist. Neapolitan is supposed to be a slightly fuller cut as is.

Slim is a little slimmer overall compared to the Havana.
Yeah this is exactly my experience. Havana sits right between slim and contemporary in the same size

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm glad to hear that you haven't deliberately lowered them from the wools. You've added a bit of room in the chest and waist as well, no? Will you be using the same shoulder width and general pattern as the wools for upcoming FW field jackets, or are these linens the new standard? 27 cm armholes on size 40 sounds very reasonable. A lot more reasonable than 29 on my size 36, which appears to be an unfortunate off spec product then.

Good to have you back, btw. The thread is much better when you're participating. Will you be adding field jackets to the new MTO outerwear selection?

The armholes look okay here, but I'd have to agree that the jacket itself probably isn't the best look for you. A bit shapeless and sloppy, and the color, belt and length combines to make it a bit much. I personally feel that the field jacket looks much better than the safari and blends into a modern wardrobe much easier. Provided that it fits well and the color isn't too attention grabbing. The safari needs to be expertly paired and fit near flawlessly to avoid looking a bit affected and costumey, imo.

agreed on it not being the best look for me, I actually decided to go ahead and return it later this week. I found something else that will be more useful for me that I went ahead and placed an order for

Hudson

Reaction score
To pile onto this - Slim and Extra Slim chinos in high rise (10.5"-11") and you would be catering to so many people that are without a solid standby! I would LOVE this. Wore the slim high rise dress trousers for my wedding and fell in love with the fit, and instantly wished I could get the same with a chino.
High rise casual chinos would be an insta buy for me.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow. So they’ve been sitting in your closet for a year untailored?! What’s the hold up?!
Sport coat from S/S18 still unused and in need of tailoring, lol
IMG_20210413_080630.jpg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads