• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

CaliforniaTux

Reaction score
Here’s the sand safari jacket. I took a 36 (my normal size) and I’m quite pleased. Pardon the messy room and dirty mirror ?

A4C9CA02-CAFB-4A37-9948-6F68C298DD39.jpeg

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here’s the sand safari jacket. I took a 36 (my normal size) and I’m quite pleased. Pardon the messy room and dirty mirror ?

View attachment 1590716
I ordered the same color (38 for me). It’s supposed to come in today, I’m very curious to see what I think of the fit/armholes based on some of the comments.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what sizes did everyone order on the field and safari jackets? The 36 safari @CaliforniaTux posted looks great, but @Imperatores is returning his field jacket because of low armholes. I’m receiving a 38 today and will post my thoughts when it comes in, but I’m wondering if as the size goes up, people are having more issue with the low armholes (so maybe a scaling issue).

dangaa

Reaction score
Out of curiosity, what sizes did everyone order on the field and safari jackets? The 36 safari @CaliforniaTux posted looks great, but @Imperatores is returning his field jacket because of low armholes. I’m receiving a 38 today and will post my thoughts when it comes in, but I’m wondering if as the size goes up, people are having more issue with the low armholes (so maybe a scaling issue).

I’m curious on this as well. I’m between a 38 contemporary and a 40 slim and am curious now if I should be ordering the 38 instead of the 40 which I had originally planned on doing.

SteveMc

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeating theme. Anyone with full body fit pics of the 5 pocket cords? And did you pick the same size as you use in the high rise trousers? Thanks!

Cross-post from the WAYWT thread, dark brown 5-pocket cord in 30 contemporary, same size as in all my dress pants. However, I'd recommend sizing up one size because the cords cannot be let out, plus the cords come in odd sizes so you can really nail down to your waist size.

Work from home day,
1615983781852-jpg.1575935

Imperatores

Reaction score
good post, terrible to hear that. Spier really needs to be made aware of this and the fact they are losing customers to that decision. I love spier and their quality and cuts but have Decided to stop ordering. My next purchases will Be higher level stuff, not in cloths but in cut (and more superficially in an item which has armholes that correspond to my body
I know spier at their price point needs to find something for the masses, but when everyone starts complaining about the same subject, it seems they need to correct something.

I feel like low armholes have been a recurring complaint for a number of their products. I don't really understand why they have this tendency towards lower armholes. It's obviously common in lower end clothing because it works for the highest possible number of people, but does that approach fit S&M's customer base? I'd be surprised if their main audience isn't guys like us posting in this thread. Certainly now during quarantine, at least. Guys that appreciate the look and benefit of higher armholes. Comparable brands like SuSu or Cavour doesn't have this issue at all. Is it a North American influence, perhaps?

I mention it in my initial rant, but I got two field jackets in 36 (and I wear 38 jackets, suits and overcoats). A navy and a natural linen. I'm keeping the navy, but will either return or sell the natural linen if anyone is interested. The armholes are significantly lower on the natural linen than the navy, so it's probably a combination of unfortunate production tolerance on an already low armhole that made my natural linen especially bad.

It would be interesting to compare armhole measurements among those of us that have received our jackets. My navy field jacket measures 27 cm from shoulder to armpit laying flat. The natural linen measures 29 cm.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like low armholes have been a recurring complaint for a number of their products. I don't really understand why they have this tendency towards lower armholes. It's obviously common in lower end clothing because it works for the highest possible number of people, but does that approach fit S&M's customer base? I'd be surprised if their main audience isn't guys like us posting in this thread. Certainly now during quarantine, at least. Guys that appreciate the look and benefit of higher armholes. Comparable brands like SuSu or Cavour doesn't have this issue at all. Is it a North American influence, perhaps?

I mention it in my initial rant, but I got two field jackets in 36 (and I wear 38 jackets, suits and overcoats). A navy and a natural linen. I'm keeping the navy, but will either return or sell the natural linen if anyone is interested. The armholes are significantly lower on the natural linen than the navy, so it's probably a combination of unfortunate production tolerance on an already low armhole that made my natural linen especially bad.

It would be interesting to compare armhole measurements among those of us that have received our jackets. My navy field jacket measures 27 cm from shoulder to armpit laying flat. The natural linen measures 29 cm.
I'm pretty sure I've read that the bulk of their customers aren't from SF. Don't know how things are now during the pandemic.

Imperatores

Reaction score
I'm pretty sure I've read that the bulk of their customers aren't from SF. Don't know how things are now during the pandemic.

I didn't necessarily mean guys that literally posts on SF, but guys that are similarly knowledgeable about and interested in classic menswear. Of course, I could be dead wrong about that. The products that always sells out almost instantly does seem to follow the tastes of our crowd quite closely, though. How many random guys do you see wearing linen safari jackets at all?

Maybe I'm underestimating the volume of basic dress shirts and core suits they sell compared to say Neo sportcoats and high-rise trousers. But even if that's the case, jackets like these in particular surely aren't aimed at a mass market audience? Hence details like higher armholes makes sense to me.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I didn't necessarily mean guys that literally posts on SF, but guys that are similarly knowledgeable about and interested in classic menswear. Of course, I could be dead wrong about that. The products that always sells out almost instantly does seem to follow the tastes of our crowd quite closely, though. How many random guys do you see wearing linen safari jackets at all?

Maybe I'm underestimating the volume of basic dress shirts and core suits they sell compared to say Neo sportcoats and high-rise trousers. But even if that's the case, jackets like these in particular surely aren't aimed at a mass market audience? Hence details like higher armholes makes sense to me.
I am pretty sure from when Rick was still posting that the core audience is not SF-minded at all. The 3r2 jackets sold poorly at retail for example because most of their shoppers didn’t understand them.

As far as the low armholes go, I have a range of jackets from different manufacturers and I have measured the armholes myself because of these complaints. It’s hard to get a precise measurement but my S&M 36R contemporary measures the same as a SuSu 36R Havana (the original model). It is about 5 mm larger in the vertical dimension compared to my Caruso jackets. I honestly can’t really perceive a difference with the jackets on. How do your armholes measure?

Imperatores

Reaction score
I am pretty sure from when Rick was still posting that the core audience is not SF-minded at all. The 3r2 jackets sold poorly at retail for example because most of their shoppers didn’t understand them.

I'd be interested to know how recent and current online sales compares to that initial impression. I wouldn't be surprised if drop-in customers off the street aren't SF-minded in the slightest, but it would surprise me if that extends to the vast majority of the online customer base as well. Looking at the SC's they've released so far this season (excluding MTO exlusives), 15 out of 31 have been Neo or double breasted. Granted, that doesn't say anything about have many they've stocked of each.

I'm not married to the idea that SF-minded customers are their main customer base, but surely we can all agree that a significant share of their products are clearly catering to that crowd? I just feel like aspects of their cuts are stuck in an awkward middle ground between mass market appeal and #menswear.

As far as the low armholes go, I have a range of jackets from different manufacturers and I have measured the armholes myself because of these complaints. It’s hard to get a precise measurement but my S&M 36R contemporary measures the same as a SuSu 36R Havana (the original model). It is about 5 mm larger in the vertical dimension compared to my Caruso jackets. I honestly can’t really perceive a difference with the jackets on. How do your armholes measure?

Yes, the suits and sportcoats aren't anywhere near as bad as these field jackets (or the natural linen in particular). You're also right that there's a bit more to how an armhole looks and feels than just a basic measurement from the shoulder to the armpit. My SuSu jackets (the old Hudson fit that is now called the Havana Pleated, I believe) and Cavour Mod 2 are both around 25 cm. My MTO and Neo jackets from S&M are hovering around 26 cm, while the single standard cut jacket I have measures 27. But when worn, the difference looks and feels much bigger than 1 cm between that standard cut and the Neo cuts I have, so I'm not sure how best to quantify the differences between armhole dimensions/cuts. I'd imagine that the chest and shoulder measurements have a part to play in it as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads