• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

motorchang

Reaction score
I’ve been wanting to try a pair of olive cotton trousers for sometime now. So I’m interested.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering having Spier Mackay making a jacket for me but undecided on pattern. The PoW seems more subtle while the gun check shows more of the brown colour and hence offsets some of the versatility advantage the PoW has on the gun check due to its subtility. Suggestions (rest of wardrobe not considered)?

PoW
Screenshot_20210410_102648_com.instagram.android_edit_644122877768377.jpg

Screenshot_20210410_102644_com.instagram.android_edit_644139013788166.jpg

Gun check
Screenshot_20210410_102640_com.instagram.android_edit_644159033748580.jpg

Screenshot_20210410_102636_com.instagram.android_edit_644181545576701.jpg

Rbpp

Reaction score
Hello,
Could European customers (especially French one) tell me about their experience with duties when buying from Spier and Mackay ? I'm interested in buying a few items but I'd like to avoid some unexpected problems that may raise the final "price".

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Considering having Spier Mackay making a jacket for me but undecided on pattern. The PoW seems more subtle while the gun check shows more of the brown colour and hence offsets some of the versatility advantage the PoW has on the gun check due to its subtility. Suggestions (rest of wardrobe not considered)?

PoW
View attachment 1590585
View attachment 1590584

Gun check
View attachment 1590583
View attachment 1590582

Those are not stock cloths unfortunately, they are woven to order, minimum order quantity is 60m I believe.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Those are not stock cloths unfortunately, they are woven to order, minimum order quantity is 60m I believe.
Oh, I did not know that. When I placed an order for a couple of M&E fabrics last year with Haris, S&M's MTO coordinator he told me they could source all fabrics from the former. Maybe those limited with a minimum order are an exception. I'll check with him. Thanks.

EDIT:
Also, I saw a couple of pages back that the hemming service and hem guards were discussed. S&M will provide hem guards for an added $10 if you ask for it in the notes.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Oh, I did not know that. When I placed an order for a couple of M&E fabrics last year with Haris, S&M's MTO coordinator he told me they could source all fabrics from the former. Maybe those limited with a minimum order are an exception. I'll check with him. Thanks.

EDIT:
Also, I saw a couple of pages back that the hemming service and hem guards were discussed. S&M will provide hem guards for an added $10 if you ask for it in the notes.

That's right, just as long as they are part of the M&E stock collection - those can be purchased by the metre.

The M&E cloths in the MTO section are all stock cloths.

pyunghwa

Reaction score
It really depends on what you consider regular cotton. In comparison to cotton used for standard chinos, the quest cotton is definitely finer and smoother, and has a more luxurious feel. It has a decent drape and it holds the creases quite well.

Does the fabric have a sheen?

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Curious about their shoes (which are now on sale).

Says they are made in Portugal, are they from Carlos Santos ?

I'm looking for a fairly standard black oxford and perhaps another suede loafer. Anyone here tried their shoes?
I had a pair of their black plain toe oxfords. They where very good. Sold them because I went with the wrong size. Don't know if they are new by CS. But I will say that they are a great shoe for the money.

zewill

Reaction score
good post, terrible to hear that. Spier really needs to be made aware of this and the fact they are losing customers to that decision. I love spier and their quality and cuts but have Decided to stop ordering. My next purchases will Be higher level stuff, not in cloths but in cut (and more superficially in an item which has armholes that correspond to my body
I know spier at their price point needs to find something for the masses, but when everyone starts complaining about the same subject, it seems they need to correct something.

I received two linen field jackets today, and I'm so disappointed by the absurdly low armholes. Why are they cut like this? They're low to the point where it doesn't just feel restricting and awkward to wear, but it throws off the whole look of the jacket as well. The front chest area ends up looking strange and disproportionate when the armhole extends halfway down my ribcage. Looks like I'm wearing a jacket cut for someone a foot taller, and had the sleeve and body lengths altered to kind of make it work.

The wool field jackets from the previous season fits me almost perfectly, so this is such a bummer. I got curious, so I compared the armhole on the natural linen field jacket to some other S&M jackets/outerwear. The armhole on a size 36 linen field jacket is 3 cm lower than on a size 38 winter overcoat (measured from the shoulder to the armpit laying flat). Why?! The wool field jackets in the equivalent size (XS) also have 3 cm higher armholes.

Luckily the navy linen one isn't as bad. The armholes are 2 cm higher on it compared to the natural linen (which is still much lower than ideal, but doesn't look as ridiculous). Am I unreasonable for thinking that this is an unacceptable production tolerance? A 2 cm variation between waist or chest measurements on a casual jacket is one thing. Quite another for armhole height...

Sorry for the rant. I've been looking forward to the linen versions ever since they released the wool field jackets, so to have them ruined by something like this is quite deflating. They're so well designed otherwise, and the linen fabric feels great for a summer jacket.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Sorry if this is a repeating theme. Anyone with full body fit pics of the 5 pocket cords? And did you pick the same size as you use in the high rise trousers? Thanks!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads