• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rafsan

Reaction score
For what it’s worth, I received 3 pairs of trousers with in-house hemming (2 coverts, 1 flannel), no cuffs, and they were all spot-on for the measurement and job was comparable to what I would expect from my local tailor. No issues on my end.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Just got my custom green herringbone Harris Tweed and its pretty great. I did a 3/2 roll with standard SC lapels and also patch hip pockets with flaps. (I like American Ivy details.)

@alkydrinker this looks great. Would you mind sharing pictures with the jacket on? I am considering ordering an MTO jacket with ivy details myself. Did you ask for slimmer lapels or changes in buttoning stance? Or just the standard SC with 3/2 and flap/patch?

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've only got limited experience when it comes to various dress shirt fabrics, but I've had mixed results with fine twill. In lighter solid colors, it wrinkled very quickly - between leaving my place and getting to work it looked like it had been worn all day. I have a few poplin and royal twill shirts that have worked out better for me.
Not sure I understand. Are you commenting on your general familiarity with fine twill fabric or have you handled/bought the specific shirts I asked about?

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Experience with their fine twill shirts anyone? Whats the fabric like in person?
Thanks for any info.

https://www.spierandmackay.com/product/sky-blue-fine-twill-sft-sb-c13f5-k

I have both the purple label sky blue and white fine twills with Italian spread collar, excellent shirts, no noticeable shrink when washed cold . The cloth has a very fine and soft hand, fairly easy to iron too, not crease resistant but still looks decent after a day at the office, bar the creasing around elbows which is inevitable.

Quite a few pics of me wearing these shirts on my IG page If you want to see them IRL.

Note that the non purple label fine twills i‘ve had a not such a successful experience with, the cloth to me seemed stiffer and more difficult to iron but likewise, no noticeable shrink in this one either.

DapperPhilly

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have both the purple label sky blue and white fine twills with Italian spread collar, excellent shirts, no noticeable shrink when washed cold . The cloth has a very fine and soft hand, fairly easy to iron too, not crease resistant but still looks decent after a day at the office, bar the creasing around elbows which is inevitable.

Quite a few pics of me wearing these shirts on my IG page If you want to see them IRL.

Note that the non purple label fine twills i‘ve had a not such a successful experience with, the cloth to me seemed stiffer and more difficult to iron but likewise, no noticeable shrink in this one either.
I appreciate that info. I ordered 3 purple label fine twills last night. Light blue, white and

Thank you for that information. It's exactly what I was looking for. Last night I ordered 3 purple label fine twill with Italian spread collar.
Ivory, light blue, and white.

Reaction score
I received, yesterday, the green seersucker suit, in Neapolitan cut, in a 34 short. The fabric is from Minni's. I haven't taken it to the tailor's yet, but I can tell you that the trousers are very snug in the waist. Standard 6-inch drop, so it should hit about 28. I've never had a problem with a size 28 trouser before, but I'm going to be taking these out at least an inch at my tailor's shop. Has anyone else experienced this with S&M?

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I received, yesterday, the green seersucker suit, in Neapolitan cut, in a 34 short. The fabric is from Minni's. I haven't taken it to the tailor's yet, but I can tell you that the trousers are very snug in the waist. Standard 6-inch drop, so it should hit about 28. I've never had a problem with a size 28 trouser before, but I'm going to be taking these out at least an inch at my tailor's shop. Has anyone else experienced this with S&M?
My trousers from S&M have always been true to the website measurements. Have you measured the waist on your trousers yourself?

Reaction score
My trousers from S&M have always been true to the website measurements. Have you measured the waist on your trousers yourself?

No, I haven't had the opportunity to take a measurement yet. I will measure tonight and cross-reference the site. I am also aware that, in general, S&M does allow for swapping trousers on most of their suits, so it may be a case of needing to size up the trousers on my next purchase (this one was final sale, so I'll make the best of it at the tailor shop). To be completely clear: I'm not complaining; I got the suit, a lightweight oxford shirt and a purple label shirt for $550 taxes included. By every metric, it surpasses my expectations for a product at that price point. I'm just wondering if trouser size is a bit smaller than standard in the Neapolitan cut.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm just wondering if trouser size is a bit smaller than standard in the Neapolitan cut.
It’s possible that the trousers are smaller than what is listed on the website measurements but the only way to know is to measure them. You probably already know this but rarely is a tagged 28” waist actually 28” when measured. There are variable amounts of added width depending on the manufacturer. My S&M 30” trousers actually measure 31.5” and that’s fairly typical. So be careful about thinking there is a “standard” waist size.

Reaction score
It’s possible that the trousers are smaller than what is listed on the website measurements but the only way to know is to measure them. You probably already know this but rarely is a tagged 28” waist actually 28” when measured. There are variable amounts of added width depending on the manufacturer. My S&M 30” trousers actually measure 31.5” and that’s fairly typical. So be careful about thinking there is a “standard” waist size.

Yeah, I understand. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wonder if S&M's standard 28" waist is smaller than most other companies'. Most of my 28" trousers measure at about 29 1/4" and fit very comfortably. As I said, I'll measure the trouser waist when I get to the tailor's this evening. I did manage to check and S&M leave very generous seams, so altering it to fit won't be a problem. I don't think I've gotten significantly fatter since my last suit purchase. :p

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Yeah, I understand. I guess what I'm trying to say is that I wonder if S&M's standard 28" waist is smaller than most other companies'. Most of my 28" trousers measure at about 29 1/4" and fit very comfortably. As I said, I'll measure the trouser waist when I get to the tailor's this evening. I did manage to check and S&M leave very generous seams, so altering it to fit won't be a problem. I don't think I've gotten significantly fatter since my last suit purchase. :p
I know that some runs of suits/trousers have run smaller than expected; I don't know if this is one of them, though. If it does measure significantly less than on the website, I'd let customer service know -- in the past they have given me a credit (for a future purchase) to cover alterations.

motorchang

Reaction score
S&M leave very generous seams, so altering it to fit won't be a problem.

Yeah all my jackets and trousers from SM has an inch or inch and a half seems that can be let out if needed at various points. Some brands don't even give an inch of room and that was problematic when I was still in the process of figuring out the kind of fit that suits me the best.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads