• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I am curious, to determine if the suit jacket is tight or not, how much should you be able to move your arms before it gets restricted by the jacket? Obviously you shouldn't do olympic activities in a suit jacket, but not ever really wearing SCs or Suits, I am unsure if my jackets are actually too tight, or if it is just me not being used to them

SoundBrewer

Reaction score
So I am curious, to determine if the suit jacket is tight or not, how much should you be able to move your arms before it gets restricted by the jacket? Obviously you shouldn't do olympic activities in a suit jacket, but not ever really wearing SCs or Suits, I am unsure if my jackets are actually too tight, or if it is just me not being used to them
I’m no expert, but I’m able to do a full day of office work activities in mine. This means driving, typing, leading meetings, going out to lunch, and all the movement these activities imply without being uncomfortable. This does not mean that at all times during these activities I look like Daniel Craig suited up in a bespoke Bond suit. That’s limited to only when posing in the mirror. ;)

compuccesory

Reaction score

High armholes contribute a lot to mobility hence why higher end suits have higher armholes. At the extreme end, costume jackets worn by dancers and other such performers may even have gussets at the armholes to allow for more movement.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The “lounge suit”, once upon a time, was something that a man would wear in casual daily activity including sports. You really shouldn’t feel much restriction. If you feel tightness with simple activities like reaching forward (driving a car or hugging someone) or overhead then your jackets may be too tight. If I had to, I could play tennis or volleyball in my suit, including overhead serves.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another thing...I keep seeing people looking for a slimmer fit but when your clothes are so slim that they actually get in the way of function, then maybe you’ve gone too far.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Custom/MTO shirt questions:

When ordering custom dress shirts, do you typically chose a placket or no placket? Do you have a specific preference for different types of fabrics (i.e. no placket on poplin, placket on oxfords and denims)?

Have anyone tried the conical cuff? I assume that the cuff size you select will be at the most narrow part of the cone?

Also - do you know if the denim fabrics will be available in the MTO section?

Thanks!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m no expert, but I’m able to do a full day of office work activities in mine. This means driving, typing, leading meetings, going out to lunch, and all the movement these activities imply without being uncomfortable. This does not mean that at all times during these activities I look like Daniel Craig suited up in a bespoke Bond suit. That’s limited to only when posing in the mirror. ;)
The “lounge suit”, once upon a time, was something that a man would wear in casual daily activity including sports. You really shouldn’t feel much restriction. If you feel tightness with simple activities like reaching forward (driving a car or hugging someone) or overhead then your jackets may be too tight. If I had to, I could play tennis or volleyball in my suit, including overhead serves.
I am mainly just concerned about the arms. When doing a hug test of sorts it is feeling tight/constricting in the inner bicep area. It feels fine pretty much every where else when doing various movements, just mainly when reaching arms forward/hug, etc.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Custom/MTO shirt questions:

When ordering custom dress shirts, do you typically chose a placket or no placket? Do you have a specific preference for different types of fabrics (i.e. no placket on poplin, placket on oxfords and denims)?

IMO, an OCBD requires a placket. Everything else is up to you. Some will say that a more "formal" shirt looks better without a placket, but if you're wearing a tie then it covers up the placket anyhow.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IMO, an OCBD requires a placket. Everything else is up to you. Some will say that a more "formal" shirt looks better without a placket, but if you're wearing a tie then it covers up the placket anyhow.
Definitely an OCBD requires a placket. Most formal shirts I find look good without a placket, but I find linen shirts to look great without the placket also. Most other shirts I opt for a placket

Enox

Reaction score

Do you have any photos of you in a suit? I'm playing around with this idea of how comfortable sport coats and suiting should be but I also really enjoy a nice slim silhouette and look. My job requires me to reach forwards, bend down, squat, etc., often while dressed up so any idea of how it looks while static would be greatly appreciated!

loaferman

Reaction score
for the pants tailoring, how accurate are they with the measurements? or should I give at least 0.5 inches for safety?

And any guide to where they measure to and from?

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marling & Evans MTO gunclub worn more casually with denim and a roll neck.

71E85BAC-9318-47E8-84E5-A16C2D928BC8.jpeg
D15124AB-8C84-4969-B700-8E33F9D838A1.jpeg
D0E24E4B-056B-43E2-B67D-615BB5573CC7.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Forum statistics

Threads