• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

kammerer66

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same. The most drastic shrinkage was with the oxford cotton shirts for me, which unfortunately dissuaded me from purchasing more.

Speaking of which, for folks with S&M denim shirts, have you noted any shrinking after a wash? Tempted to pull the trigger on one, but want to make sure that I don't have to return due to sizing.

There is some shrinkage, but nothing excessive. This is cold wash and hang dry.

osw880

Reaction score
Ageed on the oxford. Purchased 4 at once and sleeves all became too short after one launder. Unwearable now.

Did you reach out to CS? I was about to pull the trigger on a custom shirt and now this scares me.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve experienced minimal shrinkage, not enough to affect wearability. I too measure before and after so I know what I’m working with. I find ironing them after they’re completely bone dry from laying flat or hanging helps to relax the fibers and offsets the shrinkage. I have all fabrics of Spier shirts except linen and denim.

HotDoc

Reaction score
Found this among the MTO suit fabrics. How do you think mocklino trousers would look? I guess my question is what do you guys think is the better blazer suit material: traditional fresco or mocklino?
Would be a poor choice for a suit. The fabric is textured and would wear itself through w walking or get shiny. I have a MTM jacket in Navy mockleno, it's great, but I wouldn't want pants in the same material. If you're doing a blazersuit traditional fresco is better, though honestly, I am starting to agree with others that traditional fresco is really ideal as suiting rather than for an odd jacket.

Agreed. I have both. I wouldn't make a trouser with Mocklino. While I concur that Fresco is more ideal as suiting, I think it is quite nice as a DB blazer with contrasting buttons.
IMG_20210118_075447.jpg

ULCajun

Reaction score
Ageed on the oxford. Purchased 4 at once and sleeves all became too short after one launder. Unwearable now.
It’s so hit or miss. I had two different oxfords put in the same wash with one coming out as unwearable while the other is perfect. Very frustrating!

mythage

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments. I'll give my shirt a wash and dry and hopefully it doesn't shrink too much. Can anyone also help me with the fitting of this suit? It's a 38R contemporary - I think the front looks good but the back needs work. Do you guys think it's something a tailor can fix or should I size down? I've tried the 38R slim and it doesn't really work for me, a bit tight...

osw880

Reaction score
Thanks all for the comments. I'll give my shirt a wash and dry and hopefully it doesn't shrink too much. Can anyone also help me with the fitting of this suit? It's a 38R contemporary - I think the front looks good but the back needs work. Do you guys think it's something a tailor can fix or should I size down? I've tried the 38R slim and it doesn't really work for me, a bit tight...

Have you tried 36R contemporary? I am also planning to purchase my first suit from Spier once lockdown is over. (as I am based in Toronto)

I've seen some folks mention in this thread that they can either wear 38R Slim or 36R Contemporary. I am sure more experienced forum members will chime in, but I am also curious to know. Btw, congrats on your new purchase.

Jamesbond1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thomas Mason made to measure no shrinkage and denim shirt made to measure no shrinkage. Cold wash and hang dry.

naixium

Reaction score
Hello. I'm quite new to classic menswear and this s&m item is one of my first sport coats that I've bought. It is a mid blue check in an unlined cotton. I am truly blown away by the fit and quality of this item for an online otr sale product. My friend who is a tailor honestly said that it probably doesn't need any additional alternations. Please forgive the atrocious photo quality and dirty mirror lol.

kY6sT44.jpg

Since it's summer here, I paired it with a light blue and white striped one piece collar shirt, some cream chinos and some brown suede dress shoes.

And here is the jacket. I wear a 36s slim.

cheers

Last edited:

schraiber

Reaction score

Sleeve pitch is definitely wrong, which might be causing most of the issue. It looks like it *might* be a bit big in the shoulder too, but sorta hard to separate that from the sleeve pitch issue

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The Front, Shot The Front... :fonz:

Vadim T

Reaction score
@spiermackay @SpierTeam My antivirus registers suspicious activity on the pages of site. Literal translation
Transition stopped
Malicious site:
hs-scrlpts.com

What does it mean? Please check your site.

Attachments

• 1.png
    1.png
    350.4 KB · Views: 82
Last edited:

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@spiermackay @SpierTeam My antivirus registers suspicious activity on the pages of site. Literal translation
Transition stopped
Malicious site:
hs-scrlpts.com

What does it mean? Please check your site.

The team are aware of this - it is not believed to be malicious and they are working to resolve it.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics