• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Barodon86

Reaction score
thanks for sharing these pics. IMO it looks great on you. which worries me a little because i'm 185lbs/5'11" and also ordered the same shirt in the same size. but i've tried a 16 contemporary on me in another S&M model and it was too big, and the measurements on the site for the 15.5 look right for me, so hopefully it works out in the chest and and stomach. i'm a 33" arm so i already know they will be too long, which is fine, i have to have the arms shortened on pretty much every sportshirt i purchase anyway.

You might be fine. The contemporary is a bit loose on me, but I wanted to try this fit compared to my usual slim. I also got a little nervous from all the shrinkage talk in this thread. :)

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
SM glen check in Marling and Evans undyed wool...
B2485546-EB84-4CF9-BA06-4D21E5360C95.jpeg

postjack

Reaction score
You might be fine. The contemporary is a bit loose on me, but I wanted to try this fit compared to my usual slim. I also got a little nervous from all the shrinkage talk in this thread. :)

it arrived today, and unfortunately it's a bit too tight in the stomach for me. :( i think S&M shirts just aren't built for my body shape.

really beautiful color and great feel to the fabric though. not worth the hassle of return, i'll hold on to it and if i can lose about 10lbs (working on it) it'll fit nicely.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
x

If you can afford it and you will enjoy it, there is no such thing as 'too much' :-D
Lol believe me... when you’ve been on SF too long, there definitely is such a thing. That said, it’s great that mobs like SM and Cavour have sprung up in the last decade or so. Back in the day, you wanted that soft shouldered, Southern Italian style of tailoring that SF’ers drool over? It was largely MTM, Bespoke, or luxury IT labels. Let’s just say, Ring Jacket was considered reasonably priced... that’s how it was.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got my first on-line MTM sportcoat yesterday. Came out really well for my first 100% online order of a tailored garment. The M&E fabrics are very nice. I know we've debated the larger than avg sleeve diameter in the past. Has anyone figured out to specify a slim sleeve?

Last edited:

jermyzy

Reaction score
Has everybody's BF orders shipped yet? I ordered mine on last Thursday and still haven't shipped.

dangaa

Reaction score
Has everybody's BF orders shipped yet? I ordered mine on last Thursday and still haven't shipped.

My first two orders placed shipped extremely quickly (next day). The subsequent orders still haven't processed yet so I don't think you are alone.

Be patient - good things come to those that wait ;)

Imperatores

Reaction score
I got my first on-line MTM sportcoat yesterday. Came out really well for my first 100% online order of a tailored garment. The M&E fabrics are very nice. I know we've debated the larger than avg sleeve diameter in the past. Has anyone figured out to specify a slim sleeve?

Do you mean MTO? I believe they only offer MTM in-store. You can't change the armhole or sleeve width for MTO jackets, unfortunately. It's the reason why I'm likely to move away from S&M for my suits and jackets. It's such a shame too, because everything else is great.

c.bisesar

Reaction score
it arrived today, and unfortunately it's a bit too tight in the stomach for me. :( i think S&M shirts just aren't built for my body shape.

really beautiful color and great feel to the fabric though. not worth the hassle of return, i'll hold on to it and if i can lose about 10lbs (working on it) it'll fit nicely.

I'm in the same boat. Tried OTR and while close, it was a tad too tight around the gut. Went MTM and after a few iterations the fit is spot on. Now I just call the downtown store whenever I need a new batch.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Do you mean MTO? I believe they only offer MTM in-store. You can't change the armhole or sleeve width for MTO jackets, unfortunately. It's the reason why I'm likely to move away from S&M for my suits and jackets. It's such a shame too, because everything else is great.

yes sorry. MTM.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads