• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Went with hoodies.Quality was had for the price paid, yes. Sizing was very wierd I thought. Had to go for an XL and sleeves still very short and so was the overall length. Usually wear 38L sc, so yeah to be expected but for me to go XXL was unheard of especially being 6ft2 165lbs....
White under Stitching was very wierd and a lot had to be pulled out manually with still a lot being stuck by the grey over Stitching...Maybe I was unlucky.

When you buy hoodies from a suit maker instead of decades proven Champion. Perhaps better drape or shoulder shirring?

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a review of Spier’s MTO suit program? Curious if you were happy with the process , delivery time (website says 6-7 weeks), measurements come out accurate?
I had an order for a suit placed in late August, it arrived late October. I didn't change my jacket size, but I did max out the width of their contemporary trousers. Everything fit wonderfully, nice stitching, full canvas (back during the free upgrade) which was worth it. I wish the pleats were deeper, but they're still good looking. As long as you don't mind waiting (potentially) a couple of months, I would say it is worth it, especially if you can catch a discount, or a future full canvas upgrade.

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
Can anyone give me a review of Spier’s MTO suit program? Curious if you were happy with the process , delivery time (website says 6-7 weeks), measurements come out accurate?
I did the charcoal sharkskin, here's a decent shot of it.

Attachments

• 20201202_212109.jpg
    20201202_212109.jpg
    345.2 KB · Views: 146

mjd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
I disagree. Went with hoodies.Quality was had for the price paid, yes. Sizing was very wierd I thought. Had to go for an XL and sleeves still very short and so was the overall length. Usually wear 38L sc, so yeah to be expected but for me to go XXL was unheard of especially being 6ft2 165lbs....
White under Stitching was very wierd and a lot had to be pulled out manually with still a lot being stuck by the grey over Stitching...Maybe I was unlucky.

I 100% agree that the sizing was very very odd. I had to go up 2 sizes to get something that shrunk down to a bit roomy but not overly large. The first one I purchased was in my regular size small and it was almost form fitting. I am 5 foot 6, 135 pounds, not a size Large by any stretch of the imagination. Since it was final sale, the size small purchase went to my under 5 foot and 75 pound 10 year old, and it fit him perfectly.

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So what was the motivation or intention for posting worn affiliate products again? Not enough likes on IG? In SF at least back in the old days we try to improve each other.
Ahhh... the good ol days of Phat Guido, Vox, Manton, Foo et al... days long gone, amigo. Makes me nostalgic. Vox’s article on coherence in dressing was especially insightful.

Good times... good times...

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ahhh... the good ol days of Phat Guido, Vox, Manton, Foo et al... days long gone, amigo. Makes me nostalgic. Vox’s article on coherence in dressing was especially insightful.

Good times... good times...

Phat would probably love many of the colorful SM pieces. I especially enjoyed the non-politically correct banters that probably got someone banned or quit SF. Just imagine what they think of the pics posted in this thread (as I reserve their comments offline).

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm new to the MTO program having just received my first order, but I'm very pleased with it. I put in an order in late September and received it today. So, it took about 2 months.

The fit came out great. I'm between a 42 and 44 contemporary, so I usually opt for the 44 on the assumption that it's easier to take things in than let them out. The MTO allowed me to dial in a fit in between those two sizes. I'm very happy with the fit and it seems to be accurate.

My only minor problem problem is I should have taken an extra 0.5" off the sleeve length. Maybe I should have not gone with the working button holes. But, SM made them the length I told them to, so I can't fault them for that.

Too bad my jacket didn't arrive a day sooner. Now that I'm sure of the measurements, I'd have been tempted to take advantage of the promotion. At least it's better for my wallet.
You could still take 0,5" off of the sleeve at a tailor without it looking weird.

Last edited:

ColdEyedPugilist

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Phat would probably love many of the colorful SM pieces. I especially enjoyed the non-politically correct banters that probably got someone banned or quit SF. Just imagine what they think of the pics posted in this thread (as I reserve their comments offline).
I hear ya, mate. Very different SF back then.

Jlee80

Reaction score
I had an order for a suit placed in late August, it arrived late October. I didn't change my jacket size, but I did max out the width of their contemporary trousers. Everything fit wonderfully, nice stitching, full canvas (back during the free upgrade) which was worth it. I wish the pleats were deeper, but they're still good looking. As long as you don't mind waiting (potentially) a couple of months, I would say it is worth it, especially if you can catch a discount, or a future full canvas upgrade.
Good to know the measurements and sizing is all working out well. I’m still in the “wear a suit to work” everyday world so I’m looking into trying the MTO out. My wardrobe is pretty straightforward (dark solids, flat front uncuffed trousers) so I assume all should work out just fine.

HotDoc

Reaction score
Cool, I am tempted to try a Contemporary fit with my next sport coat. The Slim works well with me, but is tight in back area and such when moving around. Worth a shot I guess as always can return for other one, was always just worried about it swallowing me

I have the same issue with the Slim tight in back area but works well otherwise. So I had the back centre seam out by my tailor.
I have 3 Contemporary jacket and I find that I had to do more extensive (hence expensive) alterations to make them suit me, except the Green Seersucker . And also the armhole is lower in Contemporary ?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Yea sizing seemed a bit odd, but shop the fit not the size on the tag. Who cares if it is an XXL, as long as it fits great that’s the main thing ??
I 100% agree that the sizing was very very odd. I had to go up 2 sizes to get something that shrunk down to a bit roomy but not overly large. The first one I purchased was in my regular size small and it was almost form fitting. I am 5 foot 6, 135 pounds, not a size Large by any stretch of the imagination. Since it was final sale, the size small purchase went to my under 5 foot and 75 pound 10 year old, and it fit him perfectly.
I am 3” taller than you, and got a small also. Was very slim, but liked it. Ended up getting a Medium for exclusively house wear during these times as it is looser fitting and more comfortable
I have the same issue with the Slim tight in back area but works well otherwise. So I had the back centre seam out by my tailor.
I have 3 Contemporary jacket and I find that I had to do more extensive (hence expensive) alterations to make them suit me, except the Green Seersucker . And also the armhole is lower in Contemporary ?
Cool, may stick with Slim for now. How much did you let the back seam out? It seems my issue is only when doing the hug test when it gets tight in the back & bicep region

cyclemanic

Reaction score
MTO Guabello Blue Brown Guncheck (order placed on 27 September, delivered 1 December after a few days in holding at the UPS facility).

Was initially afraid that the blue would stand out a lot more, but thankfully -- for my preferences -- it's the brown that draws the eye.

Juxtaposed with the standard Filarte navy hopsack for colour reference:

IMG_7410.JPG

IMG_7404 copy.JPG

Would see if the waist could be let out a little and the jacket skirt tightened by an alterations tailor (the skirt flare isn't obvious here as my arms were brushing it back in the pic above). Anyone knows if this can be done?

@spiermackay @SpierTeam any chance of introducing hip circumference into the MTO program?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads