• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Artserg

Reaction score
Hello everyone!

Here are a few last FW season pieces for sale:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This isn't a SM product but I'll share it because I find them to be way better than any OEM suit hangers I've ever received from any brand. In particular the shoulder end shape keeps jacket shoulders rounded yet slim enough so you can add more jackets in your wardrobe. The hook is also the same quality as the Isaia hangers which imo is the best I've ever gotten. The price used to be $596 inc free shipping worldwide and each hanger packed individually and put in a single huge box. You can pm them and hopefully they'll give a better price. So it was $12 for a solid custom made hanger that you can put your initial or logo on.

They also have jacket only hangers which are much cheaper:

Torzano

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does it feel compared to other all season fabric SM suits? Stiffer?
I think it feels the same, maybe slightly stiffer. The fabric looks high quality. I only have another vbc worsted from Spier.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Much more comfortable and still doesn’t look like it’s about to swallow me. I’ll be making a switch to contemporary for all my future purchases.
Cool, I am tempted to try a Contemporary fit with my next sport coat. The Slim works well with me, but is tight in back area and such when moving around. Worth a shot I guess as always can return for other one, was always just worried about it swallowing me

throwawaytf02

Reaction score
Got my first S&M orders from the sport coat liquidation sale.
I got the Navy Blazer in 40s and the mid blue fun looking one in 40s as well. Both contemporary sizes.
I have a question (I'm new to dressing like this) - the fit is great - length, shoulders, etc. But I noticed the armholes are tight on me. When driving home last night, the armhole was literally stabbing my armpit. Did I buy the wrong size? Is this something worth getting tailored or should I try to return it?
Thanks for the advice!

PS, anyone buy the down parka? It looks sick and was thinking of grabbing the Navy one during the BF sale.

Hi all,
I'm reposting my question here because I never got an answer to it. My apologies if someone did and I missed it.

I'm also sorry if I'm stepping into the middle of some kind of controversy. I'm just a mid 30s dude trying to step up his game after a lifetime of t shirts, jeans, and sweaters. This is basically the first sport coat/blazer I've ever bought.

I'm sincerely just trying to learn how these are supposed to fit, and I've yet to find a good tailor in my area, surprisingly hard to find, and Covid doesn't help.

Any sincere advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi all,
I'm reposting my question here because I never got an answer to it. My apologies if someone did and I missed it.

I'm also sorry if I'm stepping into the middle of some kind of controversy. I'm just a mid 30s dude trying to step up his game after a lifetime of t shirts, jeans, and sweaters. This is basically the first sport coat/blazer I've ever bought.

I'm sincerely just trying to learn how these are supposed to fit, and I've yet to find a good tailor in my area, surprisingly hard to find, and Covid doesn't help.

Any sincere advice/guidance would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!
Hi mate and welcome. Your first purchase is a classic.

With regards to fit, if everything else fits properly, you shouldn't size up or down because of the arms. Taking the sleeves out and re-do/shape at a local tailor is a possibility, but not advised as the upper sleeve that goes into the armhole can become messed up. Basically, either live with it if the problem is in the upper arm area or change to another brand/cut. The sleeve fit (size, rotation etc) is a main reason many people go MTM/bespoke.

Several members on here have opinions on S&M sleeves: to large, to small, to low armholes etc. I find the sleeves to tight, but not excessively that it restricts my movement and could live with higher armholes but don't have a problem with them as they are currently. The discussion was had right before your post, hence why you probably haven't received any response. People were exhausted of the topic, haha.

Also, take your jacket off when driving and good luck!

Last edited:

throwawaytf02

Reaction score
Hi mate and welcome. Your first purchase is a classic.

With regards to fit, if everything else fits properly, you shouldn't size up or down because of the arms. Taking the sleeves out and re-do/shape at a local tailor is a possibility, but not advised as the upper sleeve that goes into the armhole can become messed up. Basically, either lice with it if the problem is in the upper arm area or change to another brand/cut. The sleeve fit (size, rotation etc) is a main reason many people go MTM/bespoke.

Msny members on here have opinions on S&M sleeves: to large, to small, to low armholes etc. The discussion was had right before your questions, hence why you probably haven't gotten an answer to your question. People were exhausted of the topic, haha.

Also, take your jacket off when driving and good luck!

Thank you.
If I took some pics and shared here, maybe you or others could tell me if I got the right size?

They are def tight around my belly, but I have lost 25lbs and have 10 more to go so feel confident that issue will resolve. I also guess taking out the waist/back is possible? The main things I looked for are the shoulders lining up and the length, but maybe I missed some other important things.

Also, I talked to S&M on the phone and they told me I could increase the armhole size (or lowering it?) with a tailor. Can you explain more on what you mean by it getting messed up?

Thanks again for your help!

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you.
If I took some pics and shared here, maybe you or others could tell me if I got the right size?

They are def tight around my belly, but I have lost 25lbs and have 10 more to go so feel confident that issue will resolve. I also guess taking out the waist/back is possible? The main things I looked for are the shoulders lining up and the length, but maybe I missed some other important things.

Also, I talked to S&M on the phone and they told me I could increase the armhole size (or lowering it?) with a tailor. Can you explain more on what you mean by it getting messed up?

Thanks again for your help!
Please do share pics.

If you're going to take out the waist, do it at the side seams and not the back in order to keep the balance between front and back. The con with this, is that you can't take the jacket out below the pockets as they're in the way of the size seams. But you shouldn't need to do that.

I suppose what S&M means is that you can enlarge the sleeves from the cuffs and upwards to about 2" from the armhole. This is doable at any tailor worth its salt. From this rpoint onwards, it becomes difficult and not all tailors are able to execute the alteration to perfection. In order to achieve great results in the upper area of the sleeves, the sleeve needs to be removed from the rest of the jacket, slimmed or enlarged and then refitted into the armhole and reattached. As you may have figured out by now, this creates problems as the size of the sleeve head isn't adapted to fit into the armhole anymore. If your jacket features a shirred shoulder, this might be ruined as well.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is my Small Slim Chambray Popover after a Warm Water/Low Spin Speed wash. I appreciate the extra room in the chest and shoulder area, but I am still between sizes. This may have to go into the dryer for 5-10 mins to see if I can get it to shrink a bit more, as the warm water shrunk it a bit more than cold, but still not very noticeable change.

One pet peeve is I think this shirt has white plastic buttons instead of river shell, which is kind of a disappointment knowing it is the same price as other shirts with river shell buttons. Another thing I am wondering is it seems the collar/cuffs are fused, which is very odd on a casual shirt as usually there would be no fusing at all. Something to think about

Attachments

• 44735823-515F-48AE-95F0-AB4CEEA69668.jpeg
    44735823-515F-48AE-95F0-AB4CEEA69668.jpeg
    210.8 KB · Views: 149

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads