• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think it's a great move. The color scheme (simple tan, brown and blue/navy) in the pattern will lend itself to every combo.

It's so tough with these swatch pics but I *think* the pattern is small enough that it mostly resolves to solid from a short distance. As I only wear jackets in the business casual work environment, I thought it would be a bit more formal of a sport coat than some of the other larger houndstooth patterns.
Judging by the swatches and the fact it's called 'micro', it should at least be half the size of the houndstooth currently offered RTW. It should be close in scale to what Riva posted.

EDIT
Order placed for the brown micro houndstooth 10278-059/5-MTO-J. At $340 for MTO it was to good of a deal to pass up on.

Last edited:

quigleysr

Reaction score
The navy/brown micro houndstooth looks to be the same fabric that was run OTR for a 3-piece suit last year that I had been eyeing up. There were still a few pairs of pants separates available on the site until recently but it looks like they are sold at this point. Google pointed me to this blog, and while you can't zoom in to see the detail, it should give you a good sense of the scale.

https://www.arakeinprogress.com/post/spier-mackay-black-friday-sale-picks

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The navy/brown micro houndstooth looks to be the same fabric that was run OTR for a 3-piece suit last year that I had been eyeing up. There were still a few pairs of pants separates available on the site until recently but it looks like they are sold at this point. Google pointed me to this blog, and while you can't zoom in to see the detail, it should give you a good sense of the scale.

https://www.arakeinprogress.com/post/spier-mackay-black-friday-sale-picks
Thanks. That is a great looking suit and further confirms my belief that it'll make a great sport coat. I actually believe it'll look even better as a somewhat less formal jacket featuring patch hip pockets compared to the one in the link.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Judging by the swatches and the fact it's called 'micro', it should at least be half the size of the houndstooth currently offered RTW. It should be close in scale to what Riva posted.

EDIT
Order placed for the brown micro houndstooth 10278-059/5-MTO-J. At $340 for MTO it was to good of a deal to pass up on.

Yeap Zignone red check full canvas at $465 is a pretty damn good deal for almost bespoke-like (to me) MTO.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
rust donegal in slim 30, wished it was more brighter and orange irl so not sure if keeping. Plus with covid it might be awhile for me to get it altered. But besides hemming any other changes recommended?

View attachment 1507687
View attachment 1507688
View attachment 1507689
These are very slim to the point where I thought they were khakis or 5 pockets. That leg circumference at your ankle is very tight IMO. Perhaps it's an illusion without a hem, but it looks like those can barely make it over your shoe tops.

lpast

Reaction score
Here is a shot of the Wheat Hopsack. Previous pictures motivated the purchase during the liquidation sale.

Attachments

• PXL_20201130_042505774.jpg
    PXL_20201130_042505774.jpg
    276.3 KB · Views: 122

JayDee90

Reaction score
Here is a shot of the Wheat Hopsack. Previous pictures motivated the purchase during the liquidation sale.
Texture looks great. I sat this one out after seeing it in store and thinking it leaned a bit too warm for my taste (I think your picture may mute the yellow a little bit).

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

theh00d

Reaction score
Looks good. I bought this in 32 slim and really like it. Had no color like it.
It was my first Fall purchase of the season.

Thanks! And, awesome! I was wondering who else brought it because I've barely seen any mention of this colorway except maybe once?

That's an impressive off-the-rack fit and interesting color that should work well with navies and forest greens up top.

Thank you those are definitely my top two color choices to pair with them.
Any others that would work?

Looks brilliant. The color looks much nicer here than on their website as well. Much less orange. Makes me wonder what the charcoal donegal looks like in person. I've been on the fence about those. How do they feel compared to something like a 340gsm flannel?

They have a rougher hand but the texture is great. I love the small specks of colors throughout. It's more of a medium weight than my heavy weight tweeds. If you already have flannels covered, I think charcoal donegal can be quite useful and versatile especially in that colorway compared to Rust.

These are very slim to the point where I thought they were khakis or 5 pockets. That leg circumference at your ankle is very tight IMO. Perhaps it's an illusion without a hem, but it looks like those can barely make it over your shoe tops.

Ah thank you for the feedback you might be right.
I will see how they'll look like when the tailor pins it up properly.

mbb355

Reaction score
Thanks! And, awesome! I was wondering who else brought it because I've barely seen any mention of this colorway except maybe once?

Thank you those are definitely my top two color choices to pair with them.
Any others that would work?

They have a rougher hand but the texture is great. I love the small specks of colors throughout. It's more of a medium weight than my heavy weight tweeds. If you already have flannels covered, I think charcoal donegal can be quite useful and versatile especially in that colorway compared to Rust.

Ah thank you for the feedback you might be right.
I will see how they'll look like when the tailor pins it up properly.
Re: color combos, my inclination is to use dark colors up top, i.e. dark sportcoats or sweaters. The reason is that these trousers are richer and bolder, so we need something rich and bold up top to make sure the eye remains drawn to your face, not to your legs or feet. That's why rich, bold colors like navy and forest green were my quick picks. After those two, I think dark brown might work. With a dark brown jacket and these trousers, I'd use a pale blue shirt or something similar to offset all the browns and cool down an otherwise warm outfit. Charcoal could work, but that might be a stretch. I'd need to see it to evaluate. With these trousers, I'd stay away from pale, faint beiges or greys up top. Those will give you a bottom-heavy look that's incongruous, displeasing to the eye, and best avoided. Again, these aren't the most versatile trousers in the world, but that's fine. Versatility isn't everything. What you lose in versatility, you gain in originality and visual interest. And navy, dark green, dark brown, and perhaps charcoal (that's roughly a descending order of best matches) still give you plenty of options.

Imperatores

Reaction score

I've been eyeing both the charcoal and the navy. A few guys have posted pics of the navy, but I haven't seen the charcoal yet. I'm thinking that this donegal fabric could be an excellent opportunity to add a pair of navy odd trousers to my rotation, with no risk of the orphaned suit trouser look. If they're not too warm to be worn outside of the colder winter days, I may just get both of them.

Anyone have pics of the Guabello Medium Gray Wool/Cotton trousers in the wild? Also wondering how they feel compared to a 100% wool flannel pant. I know these are F/W release pants but the 280gsm weight makes me think they could be decent all-weather pants.

I thought the same thing about possible all-weather wear, so I picked up the medium gray and dark green. Took delivery of them today, and I'm quite pleased with them. They wear much lighter than a typical pure wool flannel, and is probably even more comfortable. The drape is excellent despite the lighter weight, although they definitely wrinkle a bit easier than a traditional flannel. I can see myself wearing these for all but the hottest summer days. The official product pics are quite accurate to how they appear in person.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads