• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So I have to say that although completely unnecessary the Spier guys reached out to offer a resolution. They did nothing wrong to begin with and completely unnecessary but as always they go above and beyond. Solid products, prices and customer service. Not sure what else you can ask for!
Glad to hear this worked out. Hopefully the resolution is good for both parties

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What are your thoughts on a micro houndstooth for summer? Seems to consist of brown, cream and navy. Weight is 265 gsm.
10278-059-5-02.jpg
10278-059-5-01.jpg
10278-059-5-03.jpg

EDIT
Spoke to Rick regarding one of the jackets discussed earlier. He confirmed that there was no gray in the jacket. I asked again and he confirmed that it's dominantly brown, but couldn't rule out that it might have some brownish gray.
Screenshot_20201130_232348_com.android.chrome.jpg

Last edited:

mbb355

Reaction score
What are your thoughts on a micro houndstooth for summer? Seems to consist of brown, cream and navy. Weight is 265 gsm.
View attachment 1507744 View attachment 1507745 View attachment 1507746

EDIT
Spoke to Rick regarding one of the jackets discussed earlier. He confirmed that there was no gray in the jacket. I asked again and he confirmed that it's dominantly brown, but couldn't rule out that it might have some brownish gray.
This is great. What is it/where's it from? I generally prefer larger-scale patterns in F/W, and smaller-scale patterns (like this one) in S/S.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting--I'd never seen it before and must have missed it. It's really nice.
It crossed my mind last month but ended up acquiring the RTW version for F/W. But the more I look at it, the more I'm liking it. Especially for S/S. It adds yet another dimension with the navy. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger.

mbb355

Reaction score
It crossed my mind last month but ended up acquiring the RTW version for F/W. But the more I look at it, the more I'm liking it. Especially for S/S. It adds yet another dimension with the navy. I'm really tempted to pull the trigger.
It also seems kind of rare. It's not often you find a lightweight houndstooth suitable for spring/summer.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It also seems kind of rare. It's not often you find a lightweight houndstooth suitable for spring/summer.
It does have the same colour scheme as both the E.Thomas brown gun check and E.Thomas faded gun check which I already have. But as you said, this one is kind of rare...
79479-1-24522-1.jpg
79425-4-5.jpg

mbb355

Reaction score
It does have the same colour scheme as both the E.Thomas brown gun check and E.Thomas faded gun check which I already have. But as you said, this one is kind of rare...
View attachment 1507785 View attachment 1507786
Not sure about the bottom gun check. I am familiar with the top one and think the houndstooth is different enough for two reasons. First, the top gun check is warm in tone, with a yellowish-brown base. The houndstooth is cooler in tone, with a grayish-beige base. Second, the top gun check is predominantly silk/linen, if I remember correctly. The houndstooth is 100% wool. So it will be a little sleeker, and less slubby. In fact, while the top gun club is pretty much exclusively a S/S jacket, the houndstooth is probably more suitable for year-round wear.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure about the bottom gun check. I am familiar with the top one and think the houndstooth is different enough for two reasons. First, the top gun check is warm in tone, with a yellowish-brown base. The houndstooth is cooler in tone, with a grayish-beige base. Second, the top gun check is predominantly silk/linen, if I remember correctly. The houndstooth is 100% wool. So it will be a little sleeker, and less slubby. In fact, while the top gun club is pretty much exclusively a S/S jacket, the houndstooth is probably more suitable for year-round wear.
You are correct on all points. I'm trying to find a way out, but you're not giving me any option. Enabler...

Ladislav

Reaction score
Fit looks good. Minimal shrinkage. I suspect that some people use a different definition of "cold wash" and "hang dry" when they claim excessive shrinkage.
So speaking of hang dry, do You spin it or You just remove the access of water by hand?

hschrapel

Reaction score
Fit looks good. Minimal shrinkage. I suspect that some people use a different definition of "cold wash" and "hang dry" when they claim excessive shrinkage.
Yeah, what defined a "cold wash"? As per guidance in this thread to cold wash, I set my washing machine to its minimum temp, being 30 degrees, and so far not much shrinkage on a few things. Is there a better way? By hand?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Am I the only one who is not feeling the new padded-shoulder/flap-pocket sportcoats? It's a formal style that doesn't look right in plaid, multicolored fabrics. I'm also not sure of this style more generally. At that point, why not wear a suit? I don't see the need for these kinds of formal English-style sportcoats when the softer, Italian style is so much more attractive and versatile.

Exactly, why not a suit? And so English it's like going back to 10 years ago. It's good that there is an alternative to those wanting more structure but the flap pockets plus the fabric choices killed it. I'd have gotten some if patched.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads