• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to try Spier's tuxes, but I see many of them do not come with the satin striped trousers. I wonder why. For those who own Spier tuxes, how are they?

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I really want to try Spier's tuxes, but I see many of them do not come with the satin striped trousers. I wonder why. For those who own Spier tuxes, how are they?
They're nice. Cute girls don't notice there isn't a satin stripe.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're nice. Cute girls don't notice there isn't a satin stripe.
That may be true, but my wife's eyes are trained to notice the inconsistency. That and tuxedo trousers usually are made with a satin stripe; this is what separates them for ordinary trousers. I tend to skew towards traditionalism when it comes to black tie.

dangaa

Reaction score
@wilcthree

I'm not sure which pair you are looking at but the separates have the satin stripe so I'm pretty sure the pants that come with the suit do as well.

Guabello Black Tuxedo Trousers

1606712220213.png

The corresponding suit does also have the 'stripe' in the product details. Spier CS should be able to clarify.

Guabello Black Tuxedo Suit

1606712287786.png

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That may be true, but my wife's eyes are trained to notice the inconsistency. That and tuxedo trousers usually are made with a satin stripe; this is what separates them for ordinary trousers. I tend to skew towards traditionalism when it comes to black tie.
Wife always has the final say, so if she likes satin stripes, boy, you best get some pants with satin stripes.

I don't personally care for them either way tbh, the only time I ever felt like I needed a tux with satin stripes was a wedding reception at Banqueting House in London. I was grossly underdressed for what I showed up at lol.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@wilcthree

I'm not sure which pair you are looking at but the separates have the satin stripe so I'm pretty sure the pants that come with the suit do as well.

Guabello Black Tuxedo Trousers

View attachment 1507243

The corresponding suit does also have the 'stripe' in the product details. Spier CS should be able to clarify.

Guabello Black Tuxedo Suit

View attachment 1507244

Yeh, I noticed that there are separate trousers with the stripe. But in the above links, the trews that are pictured with the tuxedo do not a satin stripe. I wonder why the discrepancy.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wife always has the final say, so if she likes satin stripes, boy, you best get some pants with satin stripes.

I don't personally care for them either way tbh, the only time I ever felt like I needed a tux with satin stripes was a wedding reception at Banqueting House in London. I was grossly underdressed for what I showed up at lol.

Ah, man. Why don't you like the satin stripes on the trews, good sir?

dangaa

Reaction score

Yeh, I noticed that there are separate trousers with the stripe. But in the above links, the trews that are pictured with the tuxedo do not a satin stripe. I wonder why the discrepancy.

Guess it looks like we have options ;)

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ah, man. Why don't you like the satin stripes on the trews, good sir?
I dunno, it's just not a necessity to me. I don't think people really notice smaller details like that. My wife doesn't care about minute details that much either, so it works out for me.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i like mine (I have the wool/mohair midnight navy), but I haven’t had the chance to wear it yet, so I haven’t had alterations made yet. I’ve had discussions with my tailor about adding the satin stripes, because it bothers me that it doesn’t have them. I’m super OCD about having absolutely “correct” black tie outfits though.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i like mine (I have the wool/mohair midnight navy), but I haven’t had the chance to wear it yet, so I haven’t had alterations made yet. I’ve had discussions with my tailor about adding the satin stripes, because it bothers me that it doesn’t have them. I’m super OCD about having absolutely “correct” black tie outfits though.

You can easily have those added. Cheap and efficient.

carterjones

Reaction score
All this tuxedo talk makes me wish Spier would make a U-shaped tuxedo waistcoat option perhaps in MTO for those who would wear one in lieu of a cummerbund. They've got black tie shirts, jackets, & trousers, but no vest sadly. It would probably be very niche and very few would buy it so I suppose it may not make sense for them to develop such an item.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You can easily have those added. Cheap and efficient.
Yep, I’m just going to have it done when I take them in to get them hemmed. Mine was also part of the initial run where the factory accidentally put on belt loops instead of side adjusters, so I’m going to have those removed and brace buttons added.

Mariokartfever

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I got the second one - no stipe on the pants, one of my few gripes. Otherwise it's a sick piece and a great deal.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads