• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone machine washed your covert trousers? it says dry clean only, but wondering if hand or machine washing will be that terrible.

Covert is all wool, yes? You don’t want to wash that. Follow the tag, dry clean only.

zewill

Reaction score
After receiving Donegal trousers in navy (slim, 33... Hesitating going to a 34.. fit is good but could do with 0.5 inch In waist) I decided to pull the trigger on the navy Donegal SC. It was the last one in 38L. Had to go for it :D waited a few days in case someone wanted to buy it before and save me the hassle of purchasing another sportcoat (really starting to have too many now) but the Donegal is just beautiful! I guess I'll have to get rid of one or two spier pieces (or suitsupply unworn pieces) to make room.. How would people pair it? navy Donegal with what Trousers with what trousers? Donegal trousers with what sportcoat color?

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not to beat this to death--as I am not even buying anything--I'm not suggesting he lower his prices further (hence no stacking), but to raise them just seemed odd to me as a marketing technique. At least keep the same prices lol

You're honestly dumb, dude. Go troll somewhere else.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is it just me, but I find Spier OTR Coat/Suit sleeves a bit roomy?

Toast!

Hihihi.jpeg

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To some it may seem strange but if you ask me it was a strategic decision to the run the liquidation sale before Black Friday.

Anyone that has been following SM knows that the majority of those pieces have been discounted for a while. By reducing the prices before Black Friday I expect Rick and his team were hoping to cash in on buyers who may or may not have been on the fence. As you've already indicated, the discounted prices were better than 20% off which is typically the most that SM will discount. Any savvy follower would have picked up a piece (or two or three).

Most retailers are competing for the same limited 'available' funds for Black Friday/Cyber Monday and with everyone holding out for that 'steal' all they did was just try to get in on that bank earlier.

I hope this doesn't negatively affect your opinion on the SM brand because inflating 'original' or discounted prices before a sale is absolutely not a practice they follow.

It's really simple. A retailer wants to train their clients not to procrastinate or wait for further discounts as if the prices just keep going down every month then everyone would be sitting on their asses not shopping until the shop goes bankrupt then they vulture in for the sweet wooly (or silky) carcasses. This way the ones who didn't shop prior to the BF 20% would be biting their teeth on missing out of getting those pieces that have been sitting in their wishlist for months since they're out of stock or are simply just $50 too expensive for their budget. I'm not blaming those who wait. It's a gamble and I'm guilty of such shopping strategy but in this crisis everyone is on waiting mode. Thank you Brooks Bros for giving me those impeccably Italian made $1500 overcoats for $235.

nzahir

Reaction score
Whose dress shirts do you guys prefer between BB, SS, and S&M

Does Brooks Brothers still make good shirts even? About 60% off with their sale and an extra code

Recently saw this shirt and its very nice. SS has a similar one, but double the cost iirc.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whose dress shirts do you guys prefer between BB, SS, and S&M

Does Brooks Brothers still make good shirts even? About 60% off with their sale and an extra code

Recently saw this shirt and its very nice. SS has a similar one, but double the cost iirc.

Twillory at $33 down from $99 just cuz it fits me better than SM's current cut. S&M also has better cut imo maybe just because they're so used to making shirts for working pros for decades but only a few pieces per season worth buying. No experience on BB shirts, but the hopsack jackets made by the recently closed factory are far more comfortable than SM while remaining slim.

JIMIG

Reaction score
Hi. Would appreciate some advice on custom shirts.

For those with 38R SC: what sleeve length do you pick?

For button down shirts: which BD collar gives the nicest roll? C22 (italian button down)?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Same issue for me (and a couple others here), which is why I will be returning my suits sadly

What... issue?

(say 99.5% of thread viewers)

Last edited:

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi. Would appreciate some advice on custom shirts.

For those with 38R SC: what sleeve length do you pick?

For button down shirts: which BD collar gives the nicest roll? C22 (italian button down)?
Everybody’s body is different. Some people that take a 38R SC may take a 34, others a 35. Sleeve length also changes a tad between cuts due to the yoke being larger or smaller. My recommendation is not go custom shirts unless you already know your size in their OTR shirts, or can measure one of your current shirts that fits you great. The benefit of going custom, is you can adjust various things, like maybe a larger yoke and a half size sleeve (i.e. 34.5” sleeve) along with many other things

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's really simple. A retailer wants to train their clients not to procrastinate or wait for further discounts as if the prices just keep going down every month then everyone would be sitting on their asses not shopping until the shop goes bankrupt then they vulture in for the sweet wooly (or silky) carcasses. This way the ones who didn't shop prior to the BF 20% would be biting their teeth on missing out of getting those pieces that have been sitting in their wishlist for months since they're out of stock or are simply just $50 too expensive for their budget. I'm not blaming those who wait. It's a gamble and I'm guilty of such shopping strategy but in this crisis everyone is on waiting mode. Thank you Brooks Bros for giving me those impeccably Italian made $1500 overcoats for $235.
Went looking for those BB overcoats, but couldn’t find them. What I did find were those Harris Tweed Walking Coats. Really like them, but I am sure there are better out there than $499USD after discount. Also nice duffel coats. May have to pay attention to them alongside S&M

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 35.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 60 38.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 17 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 27 17.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 28 18.1%

Staff online

Forum statistics