• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
And for those asking about Balmacaan sizing, I went up to a 42 in last years. It fits snug in the shoulders and upper back, the sleeves were short and needed to be lengthened even on the size up. I actually could have gone up to a 44 but knew the length would then really not work for me.

I did confirm the sleeves on this new one have been lengthened, and they added more room to the upper back/shoulder. I wouldn't mind if the sleeve strap was a touch wider and lower, but that's minor. I'll try a 42 again in the new one.

Here's a pic I had on the phone from last years

7984EEAC-1D58-452B-98F3-5141556492FA.JPG

mbb355

Reaction score
And for those asking about Balmacaan sizing, I went up to a 42 in last years. It fits snug in the shoulders and upper back, the sleeves were short and needed to be lengthened even on the size up. I actually could have gone up to a 44 but knew the length would then really not work for me.

I did confirm the sleeves on this new one have been lengthened, and they added more room to the upper back/shoulder. I wouldn't mind if the sleeve strap was a touch wider and lower, but that's minor. I'll try a 42 again in the new one.

View attachment 1506166
Did the collar on the balmacaan stand up well and hold its shape? Some similar collars can be a little flimsy or floppy. Love the look of the bal with the collar up

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1506166

Rick recommended on Instagram to order the same size as sportcoat to wear over top. Size up if you hit the gym haha.

mbb355

Reaction score
Rick recommended on Instagram to order the same size as sportcoat to wear over top. Size up if you hit the gym haha.
Yeah the website itself says the same. But the website and Spier also gave this advice for last season’s overcoat, and as I noted the overcoat was still just a touch snug. Though as I also noted, this bal seems to have a more generous fit than the overcoat anyway, plus they made it even more generous this year relative to last, which leads me to believe that taking your sportcoat size is the way to go.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Did the collar on the balmacaan stand up well and hold its shape? Some similar collars can be a little flimsy or floppy. Love the look of the bal with the collar up

Stands up well for sure

Rick always says same size and it never works for me, it's always way to snug over a sportcoat for my liking. Personal preference I suppose. Even the polo coat I went to a 42 and the armholes and upper back could use more room. I could easily go up to a 44 but would rather not mess around altering the waist and shortening the sleeves, that one needs it's shape. It's obviously fine in the 42 and still works over a sportcoat. I think the coat also needs to sort of form to the body, so mobility should improve a bit as the stiff cloth softens up with wear.

2020-11-24 10.24.41_edited.jpg

Also, shots of taupe knit polo and the Marling houndstooth MTO in case anyone is considering during the sale.

2020-11-24 10.20.59_edited.jpg

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm still very confused how the sleeve for the balmacaan is measure. Size chart says for 38S, sleeve (from neck) is 28.5 but then isn't that the same way to measure shirt sleeve, in which i wear 33-34? Then all the sleeves for the coat seem short on me.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Stands up well for sure

Rick always says same size and it never works for me, it's always way to snug over a sportcoat for my liking. Personal preference I suppose. Even the polo coat I went to a 42 and the armholes and upper back could use more room. I could easily go up to a 44 but would rather not mess around altering the waist and shortening the sleeves, that one needs it's shape. It's obviously fine in the 42 and still works over a sportcoat. I think the coat also needs to sort of form to the body, so mobility should improve a bit as the stiff cloth softens up with wear.

View attachment 1506177

Also, shots of taupe knit polo and the Marling houndstooth MTO in case anyone is considering during the sale.

Nice color variation on the coat. Probably the most exciting coat fabric from SM this season.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You might not want to wait that long. There are only a couple left in my size.
I see that, 3 left in my size. I really don’t want to spend $478 plus tax knowing how much I already spent this month, but if it goes down to 1 left in stock I am pulling the trigger IDC ?
There are lots of SM winter jackets that I want to get in more lux fabric blends. Specifically the safaris and that coat. Let's say a 50/50 wool cashmere blend. Or for summer an E Thomas linen wool silk blend. Would be a good entry point for most to start wearing anything other than sportjackets.
Okay now that E. Thomas blend would be wonderful, although I figure they would stick to that Indian mill for Jacket fabrics. I am sure they produce a nice Linen blend. Although, imagine a E. Thomas blend Chore Coat, now that would be a great Spring/Summer jacket lol

View attachment 1506166
Okay, I really like this Balmacaan design, never seen it before and now it looks like the ideal coat for my lifestyle. Don’t think I can afford it this year, but definitely on next years list
I'm still very confused how the sleeve for the balmacaan is measure. Size chart says for 38S, sleeve (from neck) is 28.5 but then isn't that the same way to measure shirt sleeve, in which i wear 33-34? Then all the sleeves for the coat seem short on me.
They are indeed measured from the neck like the other raglan items, like the parkas. Basically the shirt sleeve is measured from the half-yoke down to the end of cuff, while these shoulders are measured from the neck, or where the raglan sleeve ends and is started to be stitched to the body. Hope this somewhat helps

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay now that E. Thomas blend would be wonderful, although I figure they would stick to that Indian mill for Jacket fabrics. I am sure they produce a nice Linen blend. Although, imagine a E. Thomas blend Chore Coat, now that would be a great Spring/Summer jacket lol

Most of my safaris are MTO silk blend with either linen or wool or both. They're downright fantastic and better than my pure linen and wool ones. Although the G Inglese ones are very airy with a nice hand.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Where are those caramel needle cord trousers....

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPS decided to bless me this Saturday with my S&M delivery I guess, wasn’t expecting it. I will go into detail hopefully later when I have time, but from first impressions if you haven’t gotten one of those corduroy shirts yet, they are so damn soft it’s incredible. Do recommend you pick up this season

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The new LS polos might be my fave thing I've bought from S&M. The new cut is perfect, the collar roll is beyond perfect.
Looks good! Can you provide sizing info? Looking to potentially purchase one soon.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads