• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Marshdrifter

Reaction score
I'm not sure that the Neo cut will actually fit me, but that herringbone pushes all the right buttons. Might as well order it and give it a try.

mbb355

Reaction score
This is a much more elegant winter alternative than the db coat. Basically car coats are much more flexible than other designs by being more streamlined and cleaner. Plus you can style it with a belt or not. If this is cashmere blend I'd rock it.
I said the same thing—really wish it had the same luxe fabric as the overcoats, but it appears not to. Still a great coat. I also wouldn’t call this a “car coat”—it’s a balmacaan. I think car coats are shorter-length overcoats. This balmacaan has a classic knee length, which is one of its best features.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is a much more elegant winter alternative than the db coat. Basically car coats are much more flexible than other designs by being more streamlined and cleaner. Plus you can style it with a belt or not. If this is cashmere blend I'd rock it.
I said the same thing—really wish it had the same luxe fabric as the overcoats, but it appears not to. Still a great coat. I also wouldn’t call this a “car coat”—it’s a balmacaan. I think car coats are shorter-length overcoats. This balmacaan has a classic knee length, which is one of its best features.
I much prefer single breasted to double breasted, unless it is a peacoat. Next is for S&M to re-make the past duffel coats

I'm not sure that the Neo cut will actually fit me, but that herringbone pushes all the right buttons. Might as well order it and give it a try.
Please do and post photos, I don’t need more convincing, but I kind of do

throwawaytf02

Reaction score
Did you get a slim by chance? They have very slight higher armholes. Or is your chest not a 40?

As for the parka, I got one from last year and it fits and feels great would recommend. I think it was @Burzan that had a navy one from this season, so he can comment on the latest iteration
I got the contemporary. My chest measures 40 exact. I'm new to dressing nice like this tho so maybe I should have sized up? I'm guessing sizing down would have been worse and sizing up would have ruined the fit on everything else. The lines and length look great and the shoulders seem to be in the right place. It's a great fit otherwise.

The bomber looks like it's basically the parka but shorter so that's great. Did you size up or take your normal S&M blazer size?

Last edited:

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are lots of SM winter jackets that I want to get in more lux fabric blends. Specifically the safaris and that coat. Let's say a 50/50 wool cashmere blend. Or for summer an E Thomas linen wool silk blend. Would be a good entry point for most to start wearing anything other than sportjackets.

dangaa

Reaction score
There are lots of SM winter jackets that I want to get in more lux fabric blends. Specifically the safaris and that coat. Let's say a 50/50 wool cashmere blend. Or for summer an E Thomas linen wool silk blend. Would be a good entry point for most to start wearing anything other than sportjackets.

Please no.

This means i'll have to spend more money ;)

Beav

Reaction score
Yeah I agree - the safari has a lot of potential to be done in seasonal fabrics. I was thinking a linen would be awesome.

mbb355

Reaction score
I bought the Spier navy overcoat and the black pea coat from F/W 2019. I wear the overcoat all the time but returned the pea coat. The difference came down to the fabric. The overcoat’s indulgent wool/cashmere was a pleasure to wear and draped beautifully, while the pea coat’s scratchy, spongey wool was a chore. I’ve seen others here swear by Spier’s pea coat, I don’t quite get it.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@XxLogo I think the only SB coat I find wearable in winter are Balmacaans due to how high they button up.

Standard SB coats with a lapel look like the chest is far too deep to provide any warmth. They look cool though.
E. Thomas blend in safari jacket? I didn't even know I wanted this, but I do now.

gackt

Reaction score
I've been wanting a long belted coat the past few winters but kept passing up nice offerings from Camoshita and the like due to price. I think I'll finally go for the balmacaan though, just need to decide whether to size up.

It'll go nicely with the navy shawl cardigan I ordered a couple weeks back.

postjack

Reaction score
about to admit my sartorial ignorance. just received my first pair of high rise trousers w/ side tabs (mid grey flannel). i was mystified when i couldn't find any belt loops, and it dawned on me that you aren't supposed to wear a belt when you have side adjusters lol. which is exciting to me because as much as i love the look of a good belt, functionally they are always a pain **********. these trousers with the higher rise will stay put just fine without a belt.

i love the trousers, and the waist fits me perfectly. i think i'll be buying a lot more high rise S&M trousers moving forward.

in this same shipment was a cable knit sweater. i'd ordered one in large a few weeks back but returned it because it was too big on me. it was certainly cozy but just felt a little too slouchy. i'm bigger, 185 lbs 41" chest, but i like a sweater to be a little bit more form fitting. the medium will work better for me.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I bought the Spier navy overcoat and the black pea coat from F/W 2019. I wear the overcoat all the time but returned the pea coat. The difference came down to the fabric. The overcoat’s indulgent wool/cashmere was a pleasure to wear and draped beautifully, while the pea coat’s scratchy, spongey wool was a chore. I’ve seen others here swear by Spier’s pea coat, I don’t quite get it.

It looks wicked cool with the collar popped up. That ulster collar is so good. Hand warmer pockets are good, too. It's my transitional winter stage 1 to winter stage 2 coat.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Welp, Spier taking more of my money. Navy and black LS polos and navy and black turtlenecks incoming (as well as western shirt replacements- we’ll see how those work out). I start a new job next week, this is my justification lol.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for following up! I see you have a furry friend (in the background). Does the fabric on the coat seem to attract fur? Looking for something that I won't have to lint roll every time I wear it...
Unless they changed the fabric on this years to better repel fur, whenever I took the coat out of the closet the fur from the fur trim would be all over the coat along with animal hair from around the house. With it being navy also, didn’t help because you could see it all ?

I never tried the first version, the cloth is said to be updated on this years parka. I can confirm though, it does pick of fur pretty easily.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads