• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Here's my awesomely cool story: Most bottom priced suit buyers like SM clients due to the lack of shopping experience don't understand proper proportions and the benefits of bespoke qualities like higher armholes which have been extensively discussed online. People want bigger armholes just because it feels more comfortable which is fine if again they are proportionate. On the SM slim cut however to many it doesn't look right and if you're expecting Rick to copy almost exactly whatever Italian bespoke house that was the template of the current cut then the only flaw that is the rtw give away is the huge armhole. I'm personally just asking for 2 cm higher and on the Slim only. Nobody here dared to post pics wearing a SM jacket while raising one of their arms.

If your jacket's armholes are cutting into your biceps then most likely it's not the size of the armhole but you need a different sized jacket or the cut just isn't for you.
That’s enough. I’ll unfollow this thread now.

araziza

Reaction score
here’s a few

82295EDF-92EC-4C36-9B77-4B58684CC710.jpeg

7BD1A024-0554-4753-88D6-D0A81DE7FAF9.jpeg

40A77AFB-DC06-45E1-B46B-C4ECE2FC8223.jpeg

Instagram: @dapperclassic
Man, I'm a huge fan of your watch collection. I especially love the skyfall. This one is the brown seiko cocktail time limited edition with the power reserve hand on the dial, right? Anyways, your pictures (and outfits) are always really well put together...

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for European S&M buyers: do you ship directly to Europe or use a proxy service? If you use the latter, I'd like to get in touch with you.

For years and until recently I used a forum member who was willing to receive several orders, repack them and ship to me, which saved me some money. But for some reason, in the midst of my shopping spree, he decided he doesn't want to do it anymore when I told him that 2-3 orders are on their way. Problem is, I've already placed the orders with Spier & Mackay that they're currently finalising with destination to the member's address. As such, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with ~12 MTO SCs lingering potentially without any address to send them to. So I need to find a replacement address.

So yeah, if there's anyone here that uses a proxy willing to receive, do some repackaging and shipping out, let me know. I wish my proxy would've informed me about his sudden change of heart before I placed all these orders.

I use MyUS for everything. Even items from Italy goes there first to be repacked into a huge box along with other items. A lot cheaper.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my first S&M orders from the sport coat liquidation sale.
I got the Navy Blazer in 40s and the mid blue fun looking one in 40s as well.
I have a question (I'm new to dressing like this) - the fit is great - length, shoulders, etc. But I noticed the armholes are tight on me. When driving home last night, the armhole was literally stabbing my armpit. Did I buy the wrong size? Is this something worth getting tailored or should I try to return it?
Thanks for the advice!

PS, anyone buy the down parka? It looks sick and was thinking of grabbing the Navy one during the BF sale.

Wow! Say It Ain't So, You Sit And Drive In Your Suit Coat? This Would Make A Great Survey, Who Drives Home/Work In Suit Jackets/SC?

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Wow! Say It Ain't So, You Sit And Drive In Your Suit Coat? This Would Make A Great Survey, Who Drives Home/Work In Suit Jackets/SC?

I actually do because the sun here is hellish and the reason for wearing a sc is for sun protection not warmth. And I already have 60% tint on the windows.

stro

Reaction score
i've managed to reduce my reliance on a car to the point that i often just forget about taking the jacket off before driving now. i don't find it any less comfortable, though it's not great for the lapels. but i don't ever end up caring much other than that initial "goddammit" 10 seconds after i buckle up. i'm usually much more annoyed that i had to go somewhere outside of walking range in the first place.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i've managed to reduce my reliance on a car to the point that i often just forget about taking the jacket off before driving now. i don't find it any less comfortable, though it's not great for the lapels. but i don't ever end up caring much other than that initial "goddammit" 10 seconds after i buckle up. i'm usually much more annoyed that i had to go somewhere outside of walking range in the first place.

"Dammit there goes my pure linen lapel's roll!"

stro

Reaction score
lol yeah, the fact that > 50% of my time in a suit is spent in a linen suit probably has a lot to do with my attitude.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
That’s enough. I’ll unfollow this thread now.
I honestly wish you'd stay on this thread and continuing posting. It's equally important for there to be voices disagreeing with Riva. I do wonder if some of it is just miscommunication due to regional cultural differences. I'm from the Northeast so speaking bluntly and cursing is the norm.

I genuinely did not find that post by Riva to be offensive and I do raise my hand as a bottom priced suit buyer because I can't afford a fancy bespoke suit like Riva does, who for the record buys the same supposed bottom priced sports coat I do :eh:. If anything, Riva is only making himself look bad by saying these things.

I didn't have an issue with your post, but it's the truth that people have been taking potshots at Riva for years over the tone of posts, albeit well-deserved most of the time. Where I'm from, it's actually more insulting to be passive-aggressive than outright cursing in someone's face.

My last comment on this spat. Back to menswear.

Oh I should add, @WorldsGr8estKid looks like a boss! Doesn't matter about the armholes either way

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I honestly wish you'd stay on this thread and continuing posting. It's equally important for there to be voices disagreeing with Riva. I do wonder if some of it is just miscommunication due to regional cultural differences. I'm from the Northeast so speaking bluntly and cursing is the norm.

I genuinely did not find that post by Riva to be offensive and I do raise my hand as a bottom priced suit buyer because I can't afford a fancy bespoke suit like Riva does, who for the record buys the same supposed bottom priced sports coat I do :eh:. If anything, Riva is only making himself look bad by saying these things.

I didn't have an issue with your post, but it's the truth that people have been taking potshots at Riva for years over the tone of posts, albeit well-deserved most of the time. Where I'm from, it's actually more insulting to be passive-aggressive than outright cursing in someone's face.

My last comment on this spat. Back to menswear.

Oh I should add, @WorldsGr8estKid looks like a boss! Doesn't matter about the armholes either way

What potshots? Anyone who ain't sensitive please raise your hand ;)

mjd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else debating waiting to see Cyber Monday's sales?
I feel like I'm going to buy a bunch of stuff on black friday sale...And then on monday there'll be an even more amazing sale and I'll buy even more stuff...Then maybe move out to the streets

I bought to avoid them running out of stock on things like specific boot sizes and shirt sizes. But, I am looking forward to what Monday may bring.

nevaeh

Reaction score
Bought my first S&M suit - Navy slim fit - Fabric: Dino Filarte - size 36.

At $200USD, its a great price but us Australians also incur a $40USD shipping cost.

I'm happy and surprised that the armholes are are very large relative to SuitSupply.

View attachment 1505551

Looks nice, but a few alterations are necessary. You should have a tailor shorten the sleeves, so that a quarter to half inch of shirt cuff shows. From this angle, the trousers look fine, but they may need some adjustments to the waist or length—a tailor will be able to assess these areas. But great suit purchase.

This is all separate from the Great Armhole Debate of 2020. ?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads