• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't mind the clown meme and thought it was funny too. I think it's pretty obvious to Riva by now that some people think he's pompous, but I don't see how him saying that the armholes are lower than SuitSupply merits a douchey "Cool story bro" twice. Gee, that's super helpful for people interested in Spier or Rick. If a poster is being pompous, sure go ahead and flame them, but don't do it when they're not making jackass statements. This is Styleforum on an suit affiliate thread, are we really going to shame people for saying they bought 11 sportscoats?

Just like the trouser fit discussion and how Rick is releasing an extra slim cut due to customer demand, a higher armhole option would be really helpful for me. I have received comments from friends saying the upper sleeves on Spier suits look disproportionate from the rest of the jacket. It's particularly noticeable in lighter color fabrics compared with navy or dark gray.
I think anyone should be up for a higher armhole, especially on the slim fit. Not only does it look better, it feels better with better mobility. Will Rick do it? Maybe eventually as an experiment. Will I stop buying S&M Sport coat’s because of it? Hell no ?
So, I agree with @Riva

nevaeh

Reaction score
At the risk of stepping smack dab into the middle of a heated debate here, I would like to ask a question about larger armholes. Is the discussion here referring to the same concept as “high armholes” often mentioned elsewhere? I am curious why some here consider larger armholes good for RTW, when one of the factors repeatedly cited as a benefit of bespoke is the availability of high armholes (which I may be mistakenly presuming as being smaller) with the latter?

I have no agendas or preferences; simply, I’m asking because I’m learning about this and would like to learn more!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
At the risk of stepping smack dab into the middle of a heated debate here, I would like to ask a question about larger armholes. Is the discussion here referring to the same concept as “high armholes” often mentioned elsewhere? I am curious why some here consider larger armholes good for RTW, when one of the factors repeatedly cited as a benefit of bespoke is the availability of high armholes (which I may be mistakenly presuming as being smaller) with the latter?

I have no agendas or preferences; simply, I’m asking because I’m learning about this and would like to learn more!
I would say OTR/RTW companies go with larger arm holes simply for the fact that it can fit the most body types in one size. S&M definitely has smaller armholes compared to cheap mall brands, but will never be the likes of bespoke. You have the think, the higher you raise the armhole means the less amount of people you can fit in that size so it means less sales. However, if it is too large of an armhole, people who know about it won’t buy it because they know it doesn’t look or feel good. You have to find the balance between armhole size and the amount of people you can fit and sell to. I think Rick has found a nice middle ground here, but still could be a touch smaller.

throwawaytf02

Reaction score
Got my first S&M orders from the sport coat liquidation sale.
I got the Navy Blazer in 40s and the mid blue fun looking one in 40s as well.
I have a question (I'm new to dressing like this) - the fit is great - length, shoulders, etc. But I noticed the armholes are tight on me. When driving home last night, the armhole was literally stabbing my armpit. Did I buy the wrong size? Is this something worth getting tailored or should I try to return it?
Thanks for the advice!

PS, anyone buy the down parka? It looks sick and was thinking of grabbing the Navy one during the BF sale.

JayDee90

Reaction score
I have a question (I'm new to dressing like this) - the fit is great - length, shoulders, etc. But I noticed the armholes are tight on me. When driving home last night, the armhole was literally stabbing my armpit. Did I buy the wrong size? Is this something worth getting tailored or should I try to return it?
Thanks for the advice!

PS, anyone buy the down parka? It looks sick and was thinking of grabbing the Navy one during the BF sale.
Bahah what great timing with armhole-gate

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the advice!

Did you get a slim by chance? They have very slight higher armholes. Or is your chest not a 40?

As for the parka, I got one from last year and it fits and feels great would recommend. I think it was @Burzan that had a navy one from this season, so he can comment on the latest iteration

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Here's my awesomely cool story: Most bottom priced suit buyers like SM clients due to the lack of shopping experience don't understand proper proportions and the benefits of bespoke qualities like higher armholes which have been extensively discussed online. People want bigger armholes just because it feels more comfortable which is fine if again they are proportionate. On the SM slim cut however to many it doesn't look right and if you're expecting Rick to copy almost exactly whatever Italian bespoke house that was the template of the current cut then the only flaw that is the rtw give away is the huge armhole. I'm personally just asking for 2 cm higher and on the Slim only. Nobody here dared to post pics wearing a SM jacket while raising one of their arms.

If your jacket's armholes are cutting into your biceps then most likely it's not the size of the armhole but you need a different sized jacket or the cut just isn't for you.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Question for European S&M buyers: do you ship directly to Europe or use a proxy service? If you use the latter, I'd like to get in touch with you.

For years and until recently I used a forum member who was willing to receive several orders, repack them and ship to me, which saved me some money. But for some reason, in the midst of my shopping spree, he decided he doesn't want to do it anymore when I told him that 2-3 orders are on their way. Problem is, I've already placed the orders with Spier & Mackay that they're currently finalising with destination to the member's address. As such, I'm stuck between a rock and a hard place with ~12 MTO SCs lingering potentially without any address to send them to. So I need to find a replacement address.

So yeah, if there's anyone here that uses a proxy willing to receive, do some repackaging and shipping out, let me know. I wish my proxy would've informed me about his sudden change of heart before I placed all these orders.

Last edited:

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
Today I think I will purchase the brown linen suit.as Its the last one available in my size. That is unless one of you fine gents want to save me some money and buy the last one in my size.

EddieK

Reaction score
Is anyone else debating waiting to see Cyber Monday's sales?
I feel like I'm going to buy a bunch of stuff on black friday sale...And then on monday there'll be an even more amazing sale and I'll buy even more stuff...Then maybe move out to the streets

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is anyone else debating waiting to see Cyber Monday's sales?
I feel like I'm going to buy a bunch of stuff on black friday sale...And then on monday there'll be an even more amazing sale and I'll buy even more stuff...Then maybe move out to the streets
This sale ends Monday at midnight, so I assume this is also the Cyber Monday Deal if I had to guess

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So folks, does anyone own the Wrinkle Resistant Sportshirts? I may have come up on a job in my field with casual dress code, but still want to wear my button up shirts. How are they? I’d probably buy all 6 if the feedback is good

EddieK

Reaction score
This sale ends Monday at midnight, so I assume this is also the Cyber Monday Deal if I had to guess
Do you mean Sunday at midnight?
Because that would allow the Cyber monday sale to start

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads