• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This is why I note if it fits me perfectly OTR or not. If it fits me to a T, it ain’t going to fit me after a cold wash/hang dry. Why I always like to have some room and length in my S&M shirts brand new because I know they will shrink about 0.5” after even cold wash and a hang dry

This is not good news!

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I second the low armhole issue. It's not something that can be easily modified unlike people complaining about tight fitting trousers. Riva has strong opinions, but it's equally rude to just dismiss his statements like that every single time. I find his posts helpful and frankly he probably contributed to a lot of sales to Spier Mackay with his comments on fabric. If you don't like his posts, just put him on ignore...
Because of this (Riva) Young Man, I've avoided, (Dino Filarte) this fabric! Call Me Crazy! :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Happy Thanksgiving Day...

20201126_184247 (1).jpg

We Did Not Pardon The Bird!
DSC_1473.JPG

DSC_1491.JPG

20201126_184338 (1).jpg

20201126_183716_001.jpg

America, We Can Do Better, We Will Do Better!

20201126_184151.jpg

20201126_183149.jpg

Attachments

• 20201126_183700.jpg
    20201126_183700.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 38
  • DSC_1470 (1).JPG
    DSC_1470 (1).JPG
    214.2 KB · Views: 75

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Because of this (Riva) Young Man, I've avoided, (Dino Filarte) this fabric! Call Me Crazy! :bounce2: :bounce2: :bounce2:

You are saved my friend while just yesterday I'm wondering how to get rid of the 2 brand new Filarte travel suits. The Filarte tropical fabrics are ok though since thinner. This season's travel jacket SM uses Zignone thus increased price. I expect it to be much better so you guys should keep a close eye on those (and any disc).

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Riva has strong opinions, but it's equally rude to just dismiss his statements like that every single time.
Nobody’s dismissing @Riva ‘s (over 4000) statements every single time. @masernaut did twice, so far. And somebody else made a hilarious clown meme when his pomposity became completely unbearable. I don’t think I’ll ever forget that meme.

WhyUEarly

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Nobody’s dismissing @Riva ‘s (over 4000) statements every single time. @masernaut did twice, so far. And somebody else made a hilarious clown meme when his pomposity became completely unbearable. I don’t think I’ll ever forget that meme.
I didn't mind the clown meme and thought it was funny too. I think it's pretty obvious to Riva by now that some people think he's pompous, but I don't see how him saying that the armholes are lower than SuitSupply merits a douchey "Cool story bro" twice. Gee, that's super helpful for people interested in Spier or Rick. If a poster is being pompous, sure go ahead and flame them, but don't do it when they're not making jackass statements. This is Styleforum on an suit affiliate thread, are we really going to shame people for saying they bought 11 sportscoats?

Just like the trouser fit discussion and how Rick is releasing an extra slim cut due to customer demand, a higher armhole option would be really helpful for me. I have received comments from friends saying the upper sleeves on Spier suits look disproportionate from the rest of the jacket. It's particularly noticeable in lighter color fabrics compared with navy or dark gray.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I didn't mind the clown meme and thought it was funny too. I think it's pretty obvious to Riva by now that some people think he's pompous, but I don't see how him saying that the armholes are lower than SuitSupply merits a douchey "Cool story bro" twice. Gee, that's super helpful for people interested in Spier or Rick. If a poster is being pompous, sure go ahead and flame them, but don't do it when they're not making jackass statements. This is Styleforum on an suit affiliate thread, are we really going to shame people for saying they bought 11 sportscoats?

Just like the trouser fit discussion and how Rick is releasing an extra slim cut due to customer demand, a higher armhole option would be really helpful for me. I have received comments from friends saying the upper sleeves on Spier suits look disproportionate from the rest of the jacket. It's particularly noticeable in lighter color fabrics compared with navy or dark gray.
cool story bro

flahertongs

Reaction score
As far as I can tell, yes, they’re the same - I see no difference at all. I can share pics in daylight of the two pieces next to each other if that helps.

I also have the grey Donegal jacket from 2018 and this years trouser, again I see no difference in them.
Would you mind posting a picture of the gray Donegal jacket?

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does anyone have prior experience with mills changing fabric codes? Spier & Mackay offered this sport coat in the F/W season of 2018. It's a Abraham Moon (dark) brown herringbone tweed: (courtesy @Burzan).
According to the tag of the jacket, the fabric code reads PS370 2000/16. Interestingly, when I look for that code at Moon's website, I'm getting a match for a dark ginger fabric that's orange-ish: https://www.moons.co.uk/furnishings...ols/shetland-twill/ps370-2000-16-dark-ginger/

They can't possibly be the same fabric. On another hand, I found a dark brown mix herringbone fabric that looks very similar to the jacket in question, but the fabric code reads PS370 2002-17 instead of PS370 2000-16: https://www.moons.co.uk/product/dark-brown-mix-2/

It may not be the same fabric, but it looks very similar. Spier & Mackay have said that they'll try to look into it, but I was interested in knowing if anyone has experience with mills changing fabric codes.

Alternatively, if someone else has the Abraham Moon brown herringbone jacket from F/W18 and was willing to share the fabric code inside the jacket pocket, it'd be appreciated. Maybe there was some kind of typo with the fabric code with one/some jackets.

Last edited:

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bought my first S&M suit - Navy slim fit - Fabric: Dino Filarte - size 36.

At $200USD, its a great price but us Australians also incur a $40USD shipping cost.

I'm happy and surprised that the armholes are are very large relative to SuitSupply.

View attachment 1505551
Nice fit, you’ll enjoy the S&M journey. Next up is to get a shirt with a nice large collar ;)

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads