• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
S&M Overcoat, suit & shirt.

always love your photos and fits!
I think that you would benefit from just a little waist suppression on the DB jacket.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Is it okay if the shoulders of a coat are 0.9 inches more than the shoulders of a sportcoat? For the fabric as thick as navy polo.
What do you think is optimal value of this number?
Yes, I think an inch wider is about right for comfortable layering over a jacket.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m actually hoping for some shrinkage. The collar, chest, length and sleeves are a little big on me. It is very disappointing that we have to size up and hope for shrinkage to work out. S&M have to do a better job with quality control. I inquired on IG about sizing and was told that the the collars on the knits will shrink about half an inch. That’s a lot. That kind of information should be on the product page for everyone to see.
I'm not sure why they're not garment washed to get rid of shrinkage.

The only con I can see is they'll be more faded. Which...will happen anyway with washing polo shirts.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’m actually hoping for some shrinkage. The collar, chest, length and sleeves are a little big on me. It is very disappointing that we have to size up and hope for shrinkage to work out. S&M have to do a better job with quality control. I inquired on IG about sizing and was told that the the collars on the knits will shrink about half an inch. That’s a lot. That kind of information should be on the product page for everyone to see.
From what I understand, the product dimensions are pre-wash in the size charts. I kind of feel like it should be the opposite. It should give measurements of what the garment will be AFTER one cold wash/hang dry, or even one chart for both. I’m not buying clothes to just wear them until they need to be washed, or spend an extravagant amount on dry cleaning cotton shirts.

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
I guess none of my shirts I just got are gonna fit after a wash now. Better prepare the donation bag and enjoy the good times spent. I really never heard of clothes shrinking from cold water washes.

This is why I note if it fits me perfectly OTR or not. If it fits me to a T, it ain’t going to fit me after a cold wash/hang dry. Why I always like to have some room and length in my S&M shirts brand new because I know they will shrink about 0.5” after even cold wash and a hang dry

ptfly

Reaction score
I'm not sure why they're not garment washed to get rid of shrinkage.

The only con I can see is they'll be more faded. Which...will happen anyway with washing polo shirts.
Knits in general have higher shrinkage than woven fabrics. Average cotton knit would be -8% in length. Stitches like waffle could be double that. Without blending the fabric with a synthetic the best way IMO is to get the majority of the shrinkage out before cutting (fabric wash). Cost more but you can get the knit shrinkage down to around 3 or 4% after the garment is washed/dried.
Woven shrinkage is generally much less than knits. Personally I have never seen/used a woven shirting fabric with shrinkage as much as I have seen on some of the SM shirts. Must be in the finishing of the fabric and yarns selected. This is the only brand I have to size up a full inch in the sleeve length to get it to fit.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I guess none of my shirts I just got are gonna fit after a wash now. Better prepare the donation bag and enjoy the good times spent. I really never heard of clothes shrinking from cold water washes.
100% cotton will shrink a little bit guaranteed, if it wasn't washed and dried before cutting. Usually in length.

The extent of the shrinkage is the problem though.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Knits in general have higher shrinkage than woven fabrics. Average cotton knit would be -8% in length. Stitches like waffle could be double that. Without blending the fabric with a synthetic the best way IMO is to get the majority of the shrinkage out before cutting (fabric wash). Cost more but you can get the knit shrinkage down to around 3 or 4% after the garment is washed/dried.
Woven shrinkage is generally much less than knits. Personally I have never seen/used a woven shirting fabric with shrinkage as much as I have seen on some of the SM shirts. Must be in the finishing of the fabric and yarns selected. This is the only brand I have to size up a full inch in the sleeve length to get it to fit.
The thing is too, I feel like the fit is fine after the first wash and hang dry. Then it has the audacity to shrink again the next time I wash it cold/hang dry. Not as much as the first time, but still shrinks again. Hell I can’t even get some other brand’s 100% cotton shirts to shrink this much in a warm wash/medium heat dry ?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How does one fix sweater snags? First wear with my chunky cardigan today and our 14 week old puppy decided it would be fun to put her teeth in it and pull

mjd

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Anyone own the Jumper boots? Just pulled the trigger on some black ones in 7.5D. First pair of non-brown boots for me.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 89 37.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 88 37.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 38 16.1%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads