• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Rassul-3D

Reaction score
So Im looking to incorporate some orange into my SC wardrobe. Is anyone able to comment on how this looks as SC? I really want something with orange that is versatile as possible.
Screenshot (326).png

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
You snooze you lose. Should have ponied up the big bucks and paid full price if you wanted them so bad.

the first time I read this I was like “man, that’s kind of harsh”...but you’re absolutely right. If I see something I’ve wanted for a long time and HAVE to have (navy Neo sportcoat, gray flannel Neo suit, Neo seersucker suit), I don’t even consider waiting for a sale.Too often I’ve either been too late or gotten the OOS email.

and let’s be honest, the prices of pretty much everything are a bargain at full MSRP when compared to other places

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Couldn’t justify full price (since I already have multiple from other makers), so I was waiting for the sale, and sure enough, they were included. Navy and burgundy velvet dinner jackets both incoming.

the way I look at it, pre-COVID, I had several opportunities around Christmas each year to attend black tie or black tie optional parties. I LOVE wearing velvet jackets to those (with everything else black tie appropriate), so when things eventually get back to normal, I’ll be able to get plenty of use out of this stuff.

dangaa

Reaction score
Couldn’t justify full price (since I already have multiple from other makers), so I was waiting for the sale, and sure enough, they were included. Navy and burgundy velvet dinner jackets both incoming.

the way I look at it, pre-COVID, I had several opportunities around Christmas each year to attend black tie or black tie optional parties. I LOVE wearing velvet jackets to those (with everything else black tie appropriate), so when things eventually get back to normal, I’ll be able to get plenty of use out of this stuff.

That burgundy is fire. I'm secretly wishing it goes out of stock in my size lol

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That burgundy is fire. I'm secretly wishing it goes out of stock in my size lol

typically with velvet I prefer shawl collars, but I had a burgundy velvet peak lapel (self-faced) several years back that I loved (and fit horribly, looking back at pics). They killed it with these two jackets, the navy specifically looks exactly like the Tom Ford version

admittedly, like I mentioned, I actually already have 3 other velvet jackets (navy, burgundy, and kind of a slightly darker blue sapphire color). I’m justifying this purchase by saying these two are higher quality than the others, and the others don’t have satin lapels, so TECHNICALLY it’s different (lol).

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So Im looking to incorporate some orange into my SC wardrobe. Is anyone able to comment on how this looks as SC? I really want something with orange that is versatile as possible. View attachment 1504515
Screenshot_20201125_173418_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201125_173421_com.android.chrome.jpg
Screenshot_20201125_173431_com.android.chrome.jpg

I believe that both these are versatile, especially the former, being based around brown.

Last edited:

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
the first time I read this I was like “man, that’s kind of harsh”...but you’re absolutely right. If I see something I’ve wanted for a long time and HAVE to have (navy Neo sportcoat, gray flannel Neo suit, Neo seersucker suit), I don’t even consider waiting for a sale.Too often I’ve either been too late or gotten the OOS email.

and let’s be honest, the prices of pretty much everything are a bargain at full MSRP when compared to other places
That is often what happens with me. I kind of get greedy with the sales, so often end up waiting and they go OOS. I had a White Linen Shirt and a White Linen/Cotton Shirt in the clearance I wanted when it first came out, along with the XS Light Gray Sweatshirt, all with one in stock over the past few months. End up going OOS, and I regret not buying it and sucking up the $8 shipping when I KNOW I would’ve gotten much use out of them. Note from self, if it goes down to 1-2 Left In Stock, purchase before you regret lol

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That is often what happens with me. I kind of get greedy with the sales, so often end up waiting and they go OOS. I had a White Linen Shirt and a White Linen/Cotton Shirt in the clearance I wanted when it first came out, along with the XS Light Gray Sweatshirt, all with one in stock over the past few months. End up going OOS, and I regret not buying it and sucking up the $8 shipping when I KNOW I would’ve gotten much use out of them. Note from self, if it goes down to 1-2 Left In Stock, purchase before you regret lol

that’s where I’m glad they have the item counts available when it drops below 3 in stock- when I see that pop up it starts the clock for me, if it doesn’t pop up then I know I can prioritize other stuff first

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
that’s where I’m glad they have the item counts available when it drops below 3 in stock- when I see that pop up it starts the clock for me, if it doesn’t pop up then I know I can prioritize other stuff first
Yes I am glad too, however I sometimes never take advantage of it lol

theh00d

Reaction score
I only have two sportscoat for f/w. The brown glen plaid fox flannel and a oatmeal donegal from harris tweed. Any recommendation for a third sportscoat (Even though I don't wear one often haha)?
I'm liking the abraham moon - Brown & Red Shetland Gun Check Tweed or the houndstooth (RTW). But maybe I should get a plain textured sportscoat that would be more versatile instead?

unnamed.jpg

500x1000px-LL-bceab176_HarrisOatmealDonegal.jpeg

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
I only have two sportscoat for f/w. The brown glen plaid fox flannel and a oatmeal donegal from harris tweed. Any recommendation for a third sportscoat (Even though I don't wear one often haha)?
I'm liking the abraham moon - Brown & Red Shetland Gun Check Tweed or the houndstooth (RTW). But maybe I should get a plain textured sportscoat that would be more versatile instead?

View attachment 1504614
View attachment 1504615

I actually picked up the brown/cream houndstooth RTW and a MTO of the abraham moon - Brown & Red Shetland Gun Check Tweed, I wonder which is more versatile.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1504614
View attachment 1504615
Navy or green should be next. Definitely navy if you're looking for versatility.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This. If its Must Have, you buy when it drops and pay full msrp, which is always reasonable. Waiting for sales is a gamble, sometimes you win sometimes you lose.

The other thing is, this year in particular, you just can't be carrying too much unsold inventory. Rick and the crew, like most small businesses, are in survival mode right now. For that reason, for guys who can do so, add a full price item or two to your sale carts this season. Help move the full margin inventory as well as the sale stuff.

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Another perk of buying when it's new/just dropped is you actually get to wear it for the full season. I've definitely purchased things new from S&M that later go on sale in my size but whatever frustration over that $100 or so is outweighed by the joy in already having and getting to wear the item.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 89 37.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 39 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 37 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads