• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chatelet

Reaction score
How much did it run you?

I am contemplating returning it, but not sure yet.

Anyone else have bicep areas that are too loose?
It was like $80 but I’m in Australia so all tailoring is expensive.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Got my slate blue check suit in today (went with contemporary fit). Blue is more pronounced than online images show, in a good way though. Loving the look of it and subtlety of the pattern. Will take better pictures tomorrow when there's some natural light.

Some quick fit pics. Unbuttoned for first two, buttoned for last. Would appreciate guidance on where adjustments should be made. Upon first glance, the sleeves probably need to be shortened some.
View attachment 1503377 View attachment 1503378 View attachment 1503379
What size is this?

chatelet

Reaction score
This, to me, sounds like you think a jacket sleeve should be snug around the upper arm? I get the sense that many people think that tailored clothing should be form fitting. I think that tailored clothing should be cut to flatter your body. If you have skinny legs or arms, why call attention to that with skinny jacket sleeves and trouser legs? I want my jacket sleeve to hang cleanly, and to accomplish that there has to be some room between my arm and the jacket sleeve.

And if the goal is to wear form-fitting clothing, why aren't dress shoes designed to fit the shape of your foot precisely? Those would be very odd looking shoes indeed.
Before we get into casting aspersions on taste, can we realise that people are talking about different tailoring, not different end results?

We all buy different sizes and cuts and have different bodies. When I say ‘baggy’ you are thinking of how your suits fit and you say they are not baggy. But maybe I have smaller arms and they fit looser than yours.

Look at @FlyingHorker picture above. That’s fine - I would not tailor them. But that is not how mine look, so I do tailor them.

It’s possible we’re all looking for a similar end result, but some sizes/cuts/body shapes take tailoring to get there and others do not.

Stylewords

Reaction score
Got my slate blue check suit in today (went with contemporary fit). Blue is more pronounced than online images show, in a good way though. Loving the look of it and subtlety of the pattern. Will take better pictures tomorrow when there's some natural light.

Some quick fit pics. Unbuttoned for first two, buttoned for last. Would appreciate guidance on where adjustments should be made. Upon first glance, the sleeves probably need to be shortened some.
View attachment 1503377 View attachment 1503378 View attachment 1503379
I think you need to size down or try the slim.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
35.5 if like earlier styles.

Thanks! Makes it tough to justify a shirt that I won't be wearing any time soon. Don't wanna be going out to shorten the sleeves.

JIMIG

Reaction score
I am contemplating a linen suit for the occasional cocktail/garden party’s in a post-pandemic era.

Interested in hearing your thoughts on color. I have narrowed it down to these three Minnis Irish linen fabrics. It will be single breasted neo.

I have a light (Northern European) complexion and medium brown hair.

Which one would you chose? Thanks!

Attachments

• B93D8933-6974-4B66-B30D-63D476112804.jpeg
    B93D8933-6974-4B66-B30D-63D476112804.jpeg
    100.3 KB · Views: 45
  • 014F4BC6-E10B-4709-879F-C9BA06054831.jpeg
    014F4BC6-E10B-4709-879F-C9BA06054831.jpeg
    118 KB · Views: 62
  • 185E121B-8901-480E-9244-E0057D396CB7.jpeg
    185E121B-8901-480E-9244-E0057D396CB7.jpeg
    86.9 KB · Views: 96

stuessi

Reaction score
Hi all, does anyone have any real life pictures of the navy or rust donagal polocoat?

stuessi

Reaction score
Thanks for the picture, great coat! Do you have more pics in daylight? Are there any donegal specks visible or is it plain navy?

Reaction score
Got my padded vest a week ago and notice it attracts lint like crazy. Anyone else have a similar experience or have any tips to deal with it?

Joefitz

Reaction score
Can anyone comment on the quality of the shoes? They seem like great deals if there is a Black Friday sale

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am contemplating a linen suit for the occasional cocktail/garden party’s in a post-pandemic era.
Which one would you chose? Thanks!
Would do cream or taupe. Consider a double breasted if it's really for such a limited range, could be fun!!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 45 40.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 44 39.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 5 4.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 18 16.2%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 25 22.5%

Forum statistics

Threads