• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'm pretty sure he was exaggerating. I hope and don't think anyone in here is buying clothes instead of paying bills.
Yes, I was joking ? I make sure bills are paid, along with paying myself first into savings before buying anything lol

JayDee90

Reaction score
Might come across as a pet peeve but fiscal and financial are not synonyms. You may want to start saying "financially responsible" when refering to budgetting personal wealth.

And worry not, for those who know it will always be in style ;)
This is why one should not work and forum at the same time. I should know better. Appreciate the correction.

Not being snarky but are 'refering' and 'budgetting' the actual Americanized spelling?:eek:

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Yea let's get real. We're all here because we think SM offers clothes that are up to our high quality standards fabric and construction-wise but at the lowest prices possible. I see many here inc myself who used to buy suits and jackets 2-3x times the price but has mostly gone SM now. If it's the same damn fabric and the construction is actually more durable than most Italians it's common sense regardless of price to just buy the better product. SM offerings are very well thought out like the latest parka it's quite cheap because it's synthetic blend but also comes with the protective properties one looks for in a parka but they didn't skimp on putting real fur for the collar where it's important to have genuine stuff. This is why some SF store owner was complaining that SM copies the Italians while selling at wholesale prices and therefore SM clothes are not authentic. I just think SM's better. Waiting to see the new safari offerings...

Link to SF store owner's complaint?

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
We're all here because we think SM offers clothes that are up to our high quality standards fabric and construction-wise but at the lowest prices possible....This is why some SF store owner was complaining that SM copies the Italians while selling at wholesale prices and therefore SM clothes are not authentic. I just think SM's better. Waiting to see the new safari offerings...

This is something I was thinking about. On the surface, it does have an unappealing Zara / H&M vibe to it, i.e. high street guys put up something and then a few days later, something similar appears on SM at a much lower price. But the difference is, SM went through a lot of the same supply channels to source the same materials, according to the same timescales (6+ months from conception to available online?), whereas the other guys like Zara will find a shortcut and put out a shoddy knockoff in a day using their ethically shady supply chain. In other words, SM isn't copying as far as I can tell; rather, they are just watching the exact same #menswear trends as everyone else, and responding the same way. I am still wary of the covert suit though. :)

Where Rick and Co. has the true edge to me is, AFAIK none of them has shown up at Pitti or some other sausagefest and made a pompous toolbag arse of themselves on social media. Nice clothes but minus the oblivious peacocking. Not too many of the high-end guys can say that.

CaliforniaTux

Reaction score
A quick shot of the oatmeal peacoat. The fabric is even more appealing in person. It’s a keeper!

1E4976A6-0745-4651-8FEB-04B14E6BC438.jpeg

Fancy Pants

Reaction score
Longshot but if anyone wants to trade a 44 in the Bottoli Green Donegal for a 46 I would love to. I hoped it would work for me but the shoulders are just a little too large.

Another note - I haven't seen any pics on here but the camel shawl is absolutely a showstopper. Ordered the charcoal and the camel and while I like both, the camel is so rich looking. Straight Steve McQueen as described. I am a 44 off the rack with S&M and honestly both the XL and the L fit me. Pretty difficult to decide actually but the XL is just a hair too lumpy and looks more like I bought a vintage grandpa sweater, which don't get me wrong can be cool, but the L just looks more refined.

yungchomsky

Reaction score
I'm curious what the collar is like on the western shirts. Hoping it's unlined and not heavy/stiff.

gianm

Reaction score
Other two colours for the safari jacket look more practical. Red one is interesting.

hschrapel

Reaction score
Other two colours for the safari jacket look more practical. Red one is interesting.
Im on the fence about these safaris. Part of my loves the look, the other half makes me feel they're very "cartoonish". Like, I feel they're a bit costumey. Would you wear it to a meeting? To the office? Or just casually?

Kurps

Reaction score
Another note - I haven't seen any pics on here but the camel shawl is absolutely a showstopper. Ordered the charcoal and the camel and while I like both, the camel is so rich looking. Straight Steve McQueen as described. I am a 44 off the rack with S&M and honestly both the XL and the L fit me. Pretty difficult to decide actually but the XL is just a hair too lumpy and looks more like I bought a vintage grandpa sweater, which don't get me wrong can be cool, but the L just looks more refined.

What are you seeing with sleeve length between the two? I’m a 44L and in a perfect MTO world probably a 36.5 sleeve on shirts. Leaning towards a Large but sleeve length is my only holdup.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads