• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hamnjam

Reaction score
There have been some questions about fit on the Chunky Cardigan, so I thought I would post my experience as I ordered in both the SMALL and MEDIUM.

I wear 38R contemporary sports coat. I'm 173cm (5 foot 8?) and around 75kg (165lbs?)

Because they are so chunky, I think it's all about preference. The first pic is the MEDIUM and the second is the SMALL. I went with the SMALL.

PXL_20201025_205715474.jpg
PXL_20201025_205821562.jpg

Last edited:

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score
Chiming in to report that I am happy with the L in the chunky cardigan, and that it fits about the same as my other L sweaters, despite the dimensions on paper being much smaller. There is a ton of stretch in the sweater so along with the raglan sleeve you will have a lot more give than normal. Length-wise, it covers about half my butt. I am about 5'9" 220lbs and normally wear a 44R - 46S (or 46R for S&M since there's no S), with an ideal jacket having 19.5" shoulders, 23" chest, and about a 30" BOC. Shirt is 17.5 x 35.

Interestingly my mom used to make me these things as a kid, which I never liked because they weren't as cool as some gaudy children's synthetic jacket, and it was hard to be active in one so I was always taking it off and then losing it (temporarily thank goodness or else there'd be hell to pay).

hamnjam

Reaction score
Now time to ask for some opinions! Thanks in advance.

Menswear novice here who is looking to build out a small wardrobe. I work in a professional setting where most people dress on the casual side, so I'm leaning towards the casual spectrum of menswear. A BROWN fall/winter sports coat seems like a good addition and have settled on a subtle brown herringbone pattern. As it seems like the F/W RTW releases are all but over, I'm looking towards the MTO route and have identified a few fabrics.

I think the Abraham Moon - Mid Brown Herringbone Tweed is the safest bet. Very subtle herringbone and a neutral brown. I do really like how the Abraham Moon - Tobacco/black looks but am worried that it will have a reddish tinge therefore not as versatile.

Lastly, the Marling & Evans - Dark Brown Herringbone is another consideration. It's got more texture and the herringbone pattern is louder. I like it (much like Harris Tweeds) but maybe too much of a countryside vibe to it.

What are some thoughts here? Photos below.

Abraham Moon Mid Brown.jpg
Abraham Moon black tobacco.jpg
Marling Evans Dark Brown.jpg

pickergc

Reaction score
Chiming in to report that I am happy with the L in the chunky cardigan, and that it fits about the same as my other L sweaters, despite the dimensions on paper being much smaller. There is a ton of stretch in the sweater so along with the raglan sleeve you will have a lot more give than normal. Length-wise, it covers about half my butt. I am about 5'9" 220lbs and normally wear a 44R - 46S (or 46R for S&M since there's no S), with an ideal jacket having 19.5" shoulders, 23" chest, and about a 30" BOC. Shirt is 17.5 x 35.

Interestingly my mom used to make me these things as a kid, which I never liked because they weren't as cool as some gaudy children's synthetic jacket, and it was hard to be active in one so I was always taking it off and then losing it (temporarily thank goodness or else there'd be hell to pay).

5'10"/205/46R/17-36

Do you have any fit pics?

this seems like a weird AOL chatroom convo...

I'm a XXL in the polos, and would imagine kints as well. I was instructed to take an XL in the chunky cardigan, so I'm a little surprised to hear you went with an L.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Re-stock of oxfords are on the site now for those waiting to get their fix lol

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say, I'm rather surprised that several of the newly dropped SCs seems to not have sold as much as I thought. I don't know how many of each size S&M usually stocks, but several jackets seem to have all sizes available still. Maybe people are hoping for a site wide sale soon?

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I must say, I'm rather surprised that several of the newly dropped SCs seems to not have sold as much as I thought. I don't know how many of each size S&M usually stocks, but several jackets seem to have all sizes available still. Maybe people are hoping for a site wide sale soon?

Maybe it's just this year's circumstances? Like for me, I no longer wear SCs around or to office anymore so I don't really care much about the new SCs.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Also, could be due to this time in the year. S&M usually have flash sales on items starting the first Monday of November I do believe

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Might be the circumstances, but they're temporary. If there's a piece that fills a void in your wardrobe, I don't see why you shouldn't fill it unless you're expecting a new status quo regarding lifestyle because of Covid.

Also, wouldn't mind a flash sale.

dangaa

Reaction score
Anyone else having issues with the cart? I keep adding shirts but they keep getting removed when I get to the secure checkout stage.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads