• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • We would like to welcome House of Huntington as an official Affiliate Vendor. Shop past season Drake's, Nigel Cabourn, Private White V.C. and other menswear luxury brands at exceptional prices below retail. Please visit the Houise of Huntington thread and welcome them to the forum.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hpreston

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Trying to build out my sport coat rotation for work and was looking for some suggestions. Client facing role (post covid) 5 days a week. Have a SM navy hopsack, but looking for another 4 or so jackets to add to the mix. Perhaps a dark brown/pattern, guncheck, different shade/pattern blue, green? Trousers are all various shades of mid/light gray, light brown, stone. Live in North Carolina so winters are moderate and I run hot so tweed is out for me and 100% linen in summer is too casual. Any help/suggestions appreciated. Thanks!

This is a good read IMHO

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mbb355

Reaction score
As someone else who runs hot, I just want to say that you shouldn't dismiss tweed automatically. To be honest, I don't find my tweed jackets to be any less comfortable/warmer than my other jackets. For me, I'm either going to be hot and uncomfortable or I'm not. Linen, for example, never saves me from feeling uncomfortable if it's hot out.

Bringing it home with a real world example, I honestly can barely tell the difference between my Moon tweed (360 gsm) and my Drago linen/wool (260 gsm) from S&M.
Totally agree with this, particularly if the tweed is only quarter-lined. By forgoing tweed, you're dismissing a lot of the best available options

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Zignone brick donegal

9452E285-E979-4EBC-979E-F9BBF4C6789A.jpeg

E73E215B-CF93-40ED-A47C-1BC383602D78.jpeg

tripreed

Reaction score
Totally agree with this, particularly if the tweed is only quarter-lined. By forgoing tweed, you're dismissing a lot of the best available options

Yes, quarter-lining is a game-changer. I love that the majority of SM jackets come this way.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A1. The richness of the brick is captured excellently here. As an owner of this sportcoat, it can have a tendency to photograph lightly. Great job with getting the hue right. Good combo as well.

Thank you Sir! It‘s a true gem of a fabric and another SC that remained deep in sale, so happy I got this one.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So one thing that's been bothering me with all these drops is the lack of light grey trousers. I see there is one light grey flannel, but that's without the side-tabs. But even then, there's worsted light greys and all kinds of others missing. And these tend to be sold out very, very quickly. I hope Rick is working on delivering more light greys.

JayDee90

Reaction score
So one thing that's been bothering me with all these drops is the lack of light grey trousers. I see there is one light grey flannel, but that's without the side-tabs. But even then, there's worsted light greys and all kinds of others missing. And these tend to be sold out very, very quickly. I hope Rick is working on delivering more light greys.
I was thinking the same about the covert. While the stone may read more grey in person a true mid/light grey would likely be more useful, especially compared to charcoal

ShibuiC

Reaction score

This. I have my heart set on a light grey in the same shade as the VBC that are up, but want the high rise version. Wish Rick was here just to confirm if there are more on the way so I could give the new arrivals page a much needed break.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 55 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 59 39.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 15 10.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 26 17.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 26 17.3%

Forum statistics

Threads