• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

c.bisesar

Reaction score
I agree, kind of looks a bit baggy so a medium will do you well.
As for the 1/4 zip, do you have any older S&M knitwear? If so how would it compare to last year's sweaters? I wear a small in the crew necks and XS in turtlenecks, so just want to know if I should also size down for 1/4 zips as well to XS or stick to Small before ordering in a week or so
Unfortunately I haven't got any any of their older sweaters. I ordered a bunch of their v-neck sweaters mid last year in large and I recall them being about the same size as the large quarter zip I've got now, but it was quite a while back and I returned them because the neck was far too deep to wear standalone so I would take that with a grain of salt.
So you went with your normal size for the sweaters, or sized up?
In this case, I technically sized up by getting a large. Charts and Instagram comments suggested a medium for a 40, but I typically wear large when I get S&M t-shirts and polos so I took a gamble.

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Another low quality shot of a high quality shawl cardigan!

I’m around 5’9” and 160 lbs. I wear a 36 Contemporary jacket and a medium in last year’s knitwear (crew necks, v necks and lightweight cardigan). Disregarding my previous sweater size and the sizing guide on the website, I with Rick’s/Instagram’s advice of SIZING DOWN to a small and am glad I did.

In my opinion, it fits well. The back extends about halfway down the seat of my pants. The only thing I’m unsure of (which I would be interested in hearing other opinions on, especially if anyone else experienced the same fit) is that there seems to be a couple of inches of fabric which bunches up and “folds” where the chest meets the sleeve.
I’m in the minority here clearly, but I think this is a little small/tight. See the tension on the placket when it’s buttoned up? Honestly think @c.bisesar ’s sweater fits better.

chenzhongbi

Reaction score
Another low quality shot of a high quality shawl cardigan!

I’m around 5’9” and 160 lbs. I wear a 36 Contemporary jacket and a medium in last year’s knitwear (crew necks, v necks and lightweight cardigan). Disregarding my previous sweater size and the sizing guide on the website, I with Rick’s/Instagram’s advice of SIZING DOWN to a small and am glad I did.

In my opinion, it fits well. The back extends about halfway down the seat of my pants. The only thing I’m unsure of (which I would be interested in hearing other opinions on, especially if anyone else experienced the same fit) is that there seems to be a couple of inches of fabric which bunches up and “folds” where the chest meets the sleeve.

*EDIT: Just tried it on again and it’s a dream. I was being too knitpicky (cardigan-wearing-dad joke intended) before. Likely no one but me would notice any oddly excess fabric. I was even able to actually roll the shawl collar a little more to put more of the chest chunk into the chunky collar. There’s almost no excess in the sleeve length now that I’ve sized down, but that’ll work well with dress shirts cuffs, and I’m sure the sleeves on these things could stretch a little, too. I would be worried about shrinking in the wash but honestly don’t think I’ll machine wash this.*

While I’d originally hoped for a deeper forest/emerald green this Moss green is also pretty cool. What are everyone’s thoughts on this colour?
I think the fit is spot on. Based on your sizing suggestion, I should get small as well but just discovered that the smalls are all gone in the off white color. Guess I'll be waiting patiently for any returns then

Poser Hoser

Reaction score
I’m in the minority here clearly, but I think this is a little small/tight. See the tension on the placket when it’s buttoned up? Honestly think @c.bisesar ’s sweater fits better.

To each their own, but regarding your comment about tension on the placket, I can confidently tell you there is none - the small is fairly roomy around my shirt waist. The reason for the curve in the placket, which I believe is what you’re referring to, is that the shawl collar is heavy, and when it’s worn open like this (top button or technically top two buttons undone) with the shawl sitting lower on the shoulder, the placket shifts accordingly. If I wear it buttoned up, the placket is straight. If I went with my usual medium, I think the fit would be extremely relaxed, and not very tailored looking; it all depends on the look you’re going for. All of that said, I will say this size down from my usual has everything shorter than I’m used to *in jackets*. This Small cardigan only extends to my wrists, whereas my contemporary jackets from Spier extend to my thumb knuckle region. Though I’m not sure comparing sweaters to jackets is helpful; just trying to help anyone looking for as much info as possible on sizing.

Last edited:

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
To each their own, but regarding your comment about tension on the placket, I can confidently tell you there is none - the small is fairly roomy around my shirt waist. The reason for the curve in the placket, which I believe is what you’re referring to, is that the shawl collar is heavy, and when it’s worn open like this (top button or technically top two buttons undone) with the shawl sitting lower on the shoulder, the placket shifts accordingly. If I wear it buttoned up, the placket is straight. If I went with my usual medium, I think the fit would be extremely relaxed, and not very tailored looking; it all depends on the look you’re going for. All of that said, I will say this size down from my usual has everything shorter than I’m used to *in jackets*. This Small cardigan only extends to my wrists, whereas my contemporary jackets from Spier extend to my thumb knuckle region. Though I’m not sure comparing sweaters to jackets is helpful; just trying to help anyone looking for as much info as possible on sizing.
Thanks for the info. It’s great to get POV from many people. The cardigans overall look a bit too long in the body and possibly too short in sleeves to my eye. Still, I am tempted to add one to my wardrobe.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don’t think that’s tension from being too small- it looks like it’s a combination of only two buttons being done and the weight of the cardigan. You can see some excess material in the chest, and that’s with what looks like an ocbd underneath.

edit: I should’ve kept reading apparently, I see @Poser Hoser said exactly the same thing I was thinking lol

dluce76

Reaction score
Are the covert fabrics available for MTO? I've always had issues w RTW fit and have completely dialed in my MTO fit.

Poser Hoser

Reaction score
I don’t think that’s tension from being too small- it looks like it’s a combination of only two buttons being done and the weight of the cardigan. You can see some excess material in the chest, and that’s with what looks like an ocbd underneath.

edit: I should’ve kept reading apparently, I see @Poser Hoser said exactly the same thing I was thinking lol

Bang on, @orange fury ! Looking at all of the shots posted so far, it seems to me that if one wants a more tailored fit, they should size down; for a relaxed fit, stick with your usual size perhaps? I think the fit of @masernaut ’s cardigan is great, personally. Perhaps he could even just wash his and get the shorter length he’s looking for? And while I don’t think the fit of @c.bisesar ’s cardigan is too far off, what I notice is the drastic shoulder seam that extends below his armpits, which suggests to me that he could definitely size down.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the info. It’s great to get POV from many people. The cardigans overall look a bit too long in the body and possibly too short in sleeves to my eye. Still, I am tempted to add one to my wardrobe.

In a nutshell, that is what I'm experiencing. Short sleeves, long body. An ideal fit for someone who has a long torso but short arms!

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
In a nutshell, that is what I'm experiencing. Short sleeves, long body. An ideal fit for someone who has a long torso but short arms!
I have a feeling the chunkyness of the sweater is what leans it to being too long, which is probably a good thing as it will definitely keep you warm looking at all of the pics lol

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I tried on high rise trousers once, and I just couldn't take myself seriously. I think others can look great in them, including many SF members who post fit pics. But as I mentioned in my last post, my social context (including the hyper-casual dress "code" at my office) makes the high rise thing unappealing to me. Mid rise all the way.

And it's fine if you have a high natural waist and want to wear a highrise except that most of the pics posted in SF looked dispropotionate without the shirt at least monotoned to the pants. Trend overshadows basic deficiencies reduction.

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Marling & Evans jacket and tobacco fresco trousers.

7BA7703F-ECA4-42D5-83EC-65B294B3C1BC.jpeg
91245BAD-5B22-4ED0-B1EB-EDC432254FF0.jpeg

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads