• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

c.bisesar

Reaction score
Just got my sweaters as well - apologies for the crappy cell phone pics. Might take some properly lighted photos tomorrow if anyone is interested.

They weren't kidding about this thing being chunky ?

Initial thoughts:
Black Quarter Zip (L) - a little bigger than I would like, but pretty close to what I'd normally wear. I think with a wash and a hot minute in the dryer, it will be perfect. I would consider going to a medium, but I have a feeling that will end up being too tight around the gut.

Cream Chunk Cardigan (L) - Very big overall. The heft causes the whole thing to pull down even further so it's quite long. In the buttoned up picture, my waistline is between the 2nd and 3rd buttons from the top. Plenty of room and even more give, so definitely going to exchange this for a medium, possibly even a small.

For reference, I typically wear a 40R slim with very little alterations (only thing I ever get done on jackets is clean up the upper back to help with a collar roll and excess fabric.)

Attachments

• IMG_20201020_174214.jpg
    IMG_20201020_174214.jpg
    148.9 KB · Views: 150
  • IMG_20201020_174233.jpg
    IMG_20201020_174233.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 149
  • IMG_20201020_173851.jpg
    IMG_20201020_173851.jpg
    219 KB · Views: 154
  • IMG_20201020_173854.jpg
    IMG_20201020_173854.jpg
    285.9 KB · Views: 161
  • IMG_20201020_173918.jpg
    IMG_20201020_173918.jpg
    228.1 KB · Views: 199

breakaway01

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just got my sweaters as well - apologies for the crappy cell phone pics. Might take some properly lighted photos tomorrow if anyone is interested.

Initial thoughts:
Black Quarter Zip (L) - a little bigger than I would like, but pretty close to what I'd normally wear. I think with a wash and a hot minute in the dryer, it will be perfect. I would consider going to a medium, but I have a feeling that will end up being too tight around the gut.

Cream Chunk Cardigan (L) - Very big overall. The heft causes the whole thing to pull down even further so it's quite long. In the buttoned up picture, my waistline is between the 2nd and 3rd buttons from the top. Plenty of room and even more give, so definitely going to exchange this for a medium, possibly even a small.

For reference, I typically wear a 40R slim with very little alterations (only thing I ever get done on jackets is clean up the upper back to help with a collar roll and excess fabric.)
Thanks for the pictures. Just my two cents, IMO a shawl cardigan should be a little slouchy in fit—certainly not form-fitting. I like how it looks on you. If you size down the sleeves may be too short as well.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Initial thoughts:

I think for sure you can go down to a medium. Not sure about going down to a small.

c.bisesar

Reaction score
Thanks for the pictures. Just my two cents, IMO a shawl cardigan should be a little slouchy in fit—certainly not form-fitting. I like how it looks on you. If you size down the sleeves may be too short as well.
I agree that they should be a little slouchy, but this is downright baggy. Reminds me of my high school days! I feel like the pictures don't quite do justice to the size.
I think for sure you can go down to a medium. Not sure about going down to a small.
You're right, I think a medium will work well.

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting on the chonker length. Looks long on the older white model, and just about right on the younger black guy. I wonder which fit I would be - not sure I would wear it other than very casually if it looked long on me.

Appreciate any additional comments on knitwear updates, particularly with the neck width.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Initial thoughts:

I agree, kind of looks a bit baggy so a medium will do you well.
As for the 1/4 zip, do you have any older S&M knitwear? If so how would it compare to last year's sweaters? I wear a small in the crew necks and XS in turtlenecks, so just want to know if I should also size down for 1/4 zips as well to XS or stick to Small before ordering in a week or so

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Crappy cellphone pics of the moss green chonker.

Initial thoughts:
- woowee. She's a heavy one. Like I'm wearing the sheep itself.
- lapel is wide and ******
- can't even tell these are plastic buttons
- very deep v
- small button on the right side but no hole on the left. What's this for? Oh. Found the buttonhole on the left lapel. If I was to use it regularly it would defs rip.
- has a lot of give
- fits a bit long to me on the body, covers my whole butt, like a contemporary sportcoat length
- sleeves are the perfect length
- very soft. No itchy scratchy
- colour is nice; has little orange bits here and there
- I'd prefer a sixth button Instead of the tiny small one
- defs size down if you wanna wear a tshirt only underneath and want a trim fit
- unsure if I wanna stick with the Large or go down to a Medium. If I go medium it will only be slightly shorter but overall tighter and not loosey goosey old dude super casual ish
- I wear 42R contemporary in S&M and Large size generally
- that's my review. Thanks for tuning in

Awesome, thank ya sir! Looks like going Small was probably a good decision for me then.

Poser Hoser

Reaction score
Another low quality shot of a high quality shawl cardigan!

I’m around 5’9” and 160 lbs. I wear a 36 Contemporary jacket and a medium in last year’s knitwear (crew necks, v necks and lightweight cardigan). Disregarding my previous sweater size and the sizing guide on the website, I with Rick’s/Instagram’s advice of SIZING DOWN to a small and am glad I did.

In my opinion, it fits well. The back extends about halfway down the seat of my pants. The only thing I’m unsure of (which I would be interested in hearing other opinions on, especially if anyone else experienced the same fit) is that there seems to be a couple of inches of fabric which bunches up and “folds” where the chest meets the sleeve.

*EDIT: Just tried it on again and it’s a dream. I was being too knitpicky (cardigan-wearing-dad joke intended) before. Likely no one but me would notice any oddly excess fabric. I was even able to actually roll the shawl collar a little more to put more of the chest chunk into the chunky collar. There’s almost no excess in the sleeve length now that I’ve sized down, but that’ll work well with dress shirts cuffs, and I’m sure the sleeves on these things could stretch a little, too. I would be worried about shrinking in the wash but honestly don’t think I’ll machine wash this.*

While I’d originally hoped for a deeper forest/emerald green this Moss green is also pretty cool. What are everyone’s thoughts on this colour?

Attachments

• F4C55F5B-0756-48F8-9172-EBEC215C2D79.jpeg
    F4C55F5B-0756-48F8-9172-EBEC215C2D79.jpeg
    173.3 KB · Views: 213
Last edited:

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I’m around 5’9” and 160 lbs. I wear a 36 Contemporary jacket and a medium in last year’s knitwear (crew necks, v necks and lightweight cardigan). Disregarding my previous sweater size and the sizing guide on the website, I with Rick’s/Instagram’s advice of SIZING DOWN to a small and am glad I did.

In my opinion, it fits well. The back extends about halfway down the seat of my pants. The only thing I’m unsure of (which I would be interested in hearing other opinions on, especially if anyone else experienced the same fit) is that there seems to be a couple of inches of fabric which bunches up and “folds” where the chest meets the sleeve.

While I’d originally hoped for a deeper forest/emerald green this Moss green is also pretty cool. What are everyone’s thoughts on this colour?
I really like this colour, and everyone's photos of it enforces it even more. It's a nice in between colour of last year's forest green and say a light olive. Really nice.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I echo your comment about originally hoping for something like a forest green, but this looks great as well- its a solid fall color that would look great with a tattersall shirt and tan chinos (with a glass of bourbon by a fireplace, if we really want to sell the image lol). Its a much better shade in your picture than what it looked like on the website.

James1051

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I agree that they should be a little slouchy, but this is downright baggy. Reminds me of my high school days! I feel like the pictures don't quite do justice to the size.

You're right, I think a medium will work well.
So you went with your normal size for the sweaters, or sized up?

Poser Hoser

Reaction score
Its a much better shade in your picture than what it looked like on the website.

Agreed - it looks slightly more green in person and slightly more grey online.

@Poser Hoser bodies are weird. I have your measurements and am a 42R/M to L in most things.

Truth. Or my body is just old man-ish and wimpy (silver lining: this shawl cardigan suits me and my grandpa bod very well).

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads