• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

mbb355

Reaction score
I think lot of this talk about high-rise vs mid-rise is pointless without talking about body proportions. If you have a relatively short torso you might look fine with a 10 inch rise but comical with rise over 11 inches. On the other hand, if you have a long torso you'll benefit from having higher rise.

This is Michael Phelps who's 6'4" but has only a 30 inch inseam. His extreme proportions that allowed him to be arguably the greatest Olympic athlete of all time also disqualifies him for OTR trousers.

View attachment 1480761

The closer to the average proportion you are the more likely high-rise and mid-rise becomes a question of taste. For people farther away from the average you don't really have a choice. I personally think the rise of SM and most OTR trousers run a bit short so it's nice to have the high rise option without having to go custom.
I mean sure but I think the point is that in recent years/decades, the trend has been toward lower rises, and fans of Spier and classic menswear rightly lament that trend. Rises should generally be higher because, your point about individual nuances notwithstanding, most people will look better in a higher rise that accentuates and divides the body at the natural waist, which is the natural dividing line between top of the body and bottom. Of course there are exceptions--that doesn't undermine the general rule.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I mean sure but I think the point is that in recent years/decades, the trend has been toward lower rises, and fans of Spier and classic menswear rightly lament that trend. Rises should generally be higher because, your point about individual nuances notwithstanding, most people will look better in a higher rise that accentuates and divides the body at the natural waist, which is the natural dividing line between top of the body and bottom. Of course there are exceptions--that doesn't undermine the general rule.

High-rise = more room in the seat and thighs. As someone who isn't 6 foot 140 lbs, I prefer high-rise trousers.

abantigen

Reaction score

Yeah I get that completely and I think that's the general consensus here. I guess my comment was aimed at people who say the rise is already high enough without maybe realizing they're built differently.

wilcthree

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
A lot of you guys are professionals when it comes to posting fit pics. I am not. Here’s my best attempt, though. After many rounds, here’s the best of ‘em. I admire folks who are more skilled than I in this. Tried to get a couple shots of the covert twills in action, which my tailor saved and was able to make wearable.
Sportcoat: SM shepherds check
Shirt: SM fine twill
Tie: Knottery grenadine
Trews: SM covert twills
Shoes: Yanko Belgians; Meermin suede oxfords
C2CE7696-76E7-4341-87A0-A5C21A6D8B3E.jpeg

Attachments

• 1C5D9529-F748-4ACA-9BCA-EBEDE6A5C85F.jpeg
    1C5D9529-F748-4ACA-9BCA-EBEDE6A5C85F.jpeg
    174.1 KB · Views: 113
  • 3FC3EF85-BC6C-4256-97B0-00D8A5C773C4.jpeg
    3FC3EF85-BC6C-4256-97B0-00D8A5C773C4.jpeg
    167.8 KB · Views: 113
  • 059C85B1-4EA3-4221-B242-CE0DEDA53541.jpeg
    059C85B1-4EA3-4221-B242-CE0DEDA53541.jpeg
    244.7 KB · Views: 117
  • 726F6608-B836-4BDB-9016-84C24FC34D5B.jpeg
    726F6608-B836-4BDB-9016-84C24FC34D5B.jpeg
    217.5 KB · Views: 114

Bidouleroux

Reaction score
A lot of you guys are professionals when it comes to posting fit pics. I am not. Here’s my best attempt, though. After many rounds, here’s the best of ‘em. I admire folks who are more skilled than I in this. Tried to get a couple shots of the covert twills in action, which my tailor saved and was able to make wearable.

Dang, really hope they make these stone coverts again.

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well done ny friend.

I have this SC as well and love it. Looking forward to hear your thoughts on this year's iteration of thus jacket. I've abstained from acquiring it as I'm afraid it'll look to similar. Also, the mentioning of black in it kind of put me off. Love to hear your thoughts on both those matters once in your hands.

Thank you Sir. I have seen a closeup of the the swatch of the red Moon and i'm confident it's different enough, the pattern scale is also larger than this one I believe. The website pics I feel are a little over exposed.

@dapperclassic, this is probably my personal favorite outfit from you. I usually see you wear full suits, which you do very well, but this smart casual look is exactly what I'm aiming for.

Sorry for the belated response, I'm on the other side of the globe...

Many thanks my friend. I don't actually wear full suits often, I mix and match separates mostly if that's what you meant?

For those of you with side tabs on the trousers, I have a question. I know they function to adjust the waist, but how much adjustment is able to be cinched down? Is it like an half an inch in the waist or maybe an inch?

Around 0.75". S&M trousers come up quite large on the waist I found.

DonRaphael

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you Sir. I have seen a closeup of the the swatch of the red Moon and i'm confident it's different enough, the pattern scale is also larger than this one I believe. The website pics I feel are a little over exposed.
Looking forward to a comparison once you receive it. Maybe I'll acquire it myself if it's different enough.

orange fury

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wondering how these compare to last year's covert twill weave trousers @spiermackay
Would purchase all of them immediately if I was assured they fit significantly looser than last seasons covert
What was the issue with the coverts?

yeah, I bought a couple pairs last season and they were waaaay too slim in Contemporary- like, skintight against my calves. They also seemed 1/2-3/4” too small in the waist for my usual size. Thankfully there was quite a bit of excess fabric, so they’re fine now that they’ve been let out.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
yeah, I bought a couple pairs last season and they were waaaay too slim in Contemporary- like, skintight against my calves. They also seemed 1/2-3/4” too small in the waist for my usual size. Thankfully there was quite a bit of excess fabric, so they’re fine now that they’ve been let out.
Damn. I hope those Guabello are similar to the Sondrio's denim cotton/linen.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads