• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

hamnjam

Reaction score
I don't think so, but to each their own, I guess. I can't bring myself to wear high rise trousers, especially if I'm not wearing a jacket—feels too Urkel. But I like the clean look of side tabs.

I wore side tab high rise with double pleats flannel trousers yesterday and I felt very much like Urkel yesterday. The jacket wasn't worn 95% of the day yesterday as I was in the office. I'll have to see if I can get used to it.

How many times did you try the trousers before moving on?

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I wore side tab high rise with double pleats flannel trousers yesterday and I felt very much like Urkel yesterday. The jacket wasn't worn 95% of the day yesterday as I was in the office. I'll have to see if I can get used to it.

Curious for all the people that feel this way...how much longer is the rise on the "high rise" than what you normally prefer? For a pair of dress trousers, 11" is pretty much the absolute minimum rise I am interested in. So the S&M high rise are, for me, basically just "normal rise".

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For those of you with side tabs on the trousers, I have a question. I know they function to adjust the waist, but how much adjustment is able to be cinched down? Is it like an half an inch in the waist or maybe an inch?

inTROYspection

Reaction score
Curious for all the people that feel this way...how much longer is the rise on the "high rise" than what you normally prefer? For a pair of dress trousers, 11" is pretty much the absolute minimum rise I am interested in. So the S&M high rise are, for me, basically just "normal rise".

I'd say that I like my trousers to sit just below my bellybutton, which means the rise is probably 10-10.5". I think there are a number of factors that contribute to whether high rise trousers are advisable (e.g., jacket vs. no jacket, age and stage, body shape, work environment, etc.). For instance, if one has a doughy midsection, then by all means go high rise, as the low rise chinos with the spare tire over the top isn't a good look.

But personally, I'm not trying to radically deviate from the norms of dress within my social milieu, and high rise pleated trousers would certainly put me out on the margins.

inTROYspection

Reaction score

I tried on high rise trousers once, and I just couldn't take myself seriously. I think others can look great in them, including many SF members who post fit pics. But as I mentioned in my last post, my social context (including the hyper-casual dress "code" at my office) makes the high rise thing unappealing to me. Mid rise all the way.

SteveMc

Reaction score

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I'd say that I like my trousers to sit just below my bellybutton, which means the rise is probably 10-10.5". I think there are a number of factors that contribute to whether high rise trousers are advisable (e.g., jacket vs. no jacket, age and stage, body shape, work environment, etc.). For instance, if one has a doughy midsection, then by all means go high rise, as the low rise chinos with the spare tire over the top isn't a good look.

But personally, I'm not trying to radically deviate from the norms of dress within my social milieu, and high rise pleated trousers would certainly put me out on the margins.

I would need a 14" rise in order to get my trousers to my belly button.

SteveMc

Reaction score
Has anyone heard or seen if the sizing on cardigans/vnecks changes this year? Specifically the necks since they were humongous last year. @spiermackay

From S&M customer service response to the same question:

1603206502008.png

mbb355

Reaction score
The Guabello flannels in the high rise and at 280g sounds like an exceptional option for Mexican weather, right? :bounce2:
In seriousness, if you want to wear flannel but worry about the heat, get a looser cut. The air flow will help keep you cool. Plus, with trousers like that you'll most likely be indoors in temperature-controlled environments, no? Go for it if you like the look, you'll have plenty of occasions to wear even in Mexico.

abantigen

Reaction score
I think lot of this talk about high-rise vs mid-rise is pointless without talking about body proportions. If you have a relatively short torso you might look fine with a 10 inch rise but comical with rise over 11 inches. On the other hand, if you have a long torso you'll benefit from having higher rise.

This is Michael Phelps who's 6'4" but has only a 30 inch inseam. His extreme proportions that allowed him to be arguably the greatest Olympic athlete of all time also disqualifies him for OTR trousers.

1603205937841.png

The closer to the average proportion you are the more likely high-rise and mid-rise becomes a question of taste. For people farther away from the average you don't really have a choice. I personally think the rise of SM and most OTR trousers run a bit short so it's nice to have the high rise option without having to go custom.

Ebichuman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The lack of clear communications on the sizing is annoying. I could swear that Rick (or someone quoting Rick) said that they changed the length of some sweaters (it would be helpful to know which sweaters we're talking about). We also know that shawl cardigans run large so people are advised to size down but none of this is as clear as it should be. They could have added garment size and model measurements to the pictures recently added to the site - this would make it much clearer and prevent multi-rounds of questions or, worse yet, people buying multiple sizes only to return those that don't fit. Cant see this as being efficient or cost effective for Spier.

Betelgeuse

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
In seriousness, if you want to wear flannel but worry about the heat, get a looser cut. The air flow will help keep you cool. Plus, with trousers like that you'll most likely be indoors in temperature-controlled environments, no? Go for it if you like the look, you'll have plenty of occasions to wear even in Mexico.
Yeap, most of the time indoors. That's why I don't have a lot of flannel trousers, actually, just two. So, something with a tighter weaver at 280g instead of 330g sounds like a good option.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 81 36.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 83 37.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.4%

Forum statistics

Threads