• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am wondering if the yellow is a new merino wool cardigan colour for FW, or if it is a new cotton sweater line. I just don't see that bright yellow being very versatile in the FW seasons, but may just be me as I've never seen one in the wild that colour

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
I am wondering if the yellow is a new merino wool cardigan colour for FW, or if it is a new cotton sweater line. I just don't see that bright yellow being very versatile in the FW seasons, but may just be me as I've never seen one in the wild that colour
I have a yellow cableknit cardigan styled vest from Ralph Lauren. I think it works well with most jacket and trouser colors for a middle layer. I like it with navy, or browns/greens.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a yellow cableknit cardigan styled vest from Ralph Lauren. I think it works well with most jacket and trouser colors for a middle layer. I like it with navy, or browns/greens.
Cool, the most I have really gone past the typical earth tones like grey, brown, green, etc. was a burnt orange. Haven't seen many people showing off yellow sweaters which is why I was kind of thrown off my rails lol

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
Cool, the most I have really gone past the typical earth tones like grey, brown, green, etc. was a burnt orange. Haven't seen many people showing off yellow sweaters which is why I was kind of thrown off my rails lol
Yeah, it's not a very common color for knitwear.

nqtri

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Actually that yellow got me excited. Very Drake's in some sense.

c.bisesar

Reaction score
Sort of off topic, but has anyone had experience with the Ikea Pax wardrobe?

I'm moving into a new place in November and my new room has a pretty small closet so I'm going to have a separate place to store all my stuff. The Pax system seems pretty nifty and allows me to customize the size/height of things and add drawers as well, however I'm concerned about how sturdy the clothes rail is. Throwing 10-15 sportscoats/suits on there is quite a bit of weight so I'm curious if anyone here happens to have one.

saskatoonjay

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It looks like the main differences I can tell is aesthetic differences, like the penny slot size, top moc stitching being wider on the GS, etc. and then GS also having more SPI and the butyl leather outsole compared to what looks like a standard leather outsole on S&M. Then also obviously the leather difference. GS's are definitely more expensive after conversion to CDN for me, and from the boot I just got definitely worth every penny. No duty with USPS=>CP (asked for this over UPS). I am wanting to try a S&M chukka boot to compare soon, however. Maybe later this FW
wut r u talking about

Beav

Reaction score

I'm moving into a new place in November and my new room has a pretty small closet so I'm going to have a separate place to store all my stuff. The Pax system seems pretty nifty and allows me to customize the size/height of things and add drawers as well, however I'm concerned about how sturdy the clothes rail is. Throwing 10-15 sportscoats/suits on there is quite a bit of weight so I'm curious if anyone here happens to have one.
I've had them in a couple houses. In my experience they've held up just fine, even loaded with outerwear.

stuffedsuperdud

Reaction score

I have one, the big kahuna, and overall consider it a bad purchase. First the good is that it can indeed hold a surprising amount of weight. Mine's the taller variant, which allows you to hang two rows of suits/jackets if necessary. I stuff both the top and bottom rows with suits/SCs, and neither the rails nor the holes that the bars anchor into show any signs of wear. The walls themselves are also straight, not warped or buckling. Quite surprising for what's essentially a glorified cardboard box! Interestingly, I found out the hard way that the sheet of actual cardboard that makes up the back wall is actually loadbearing...Interesting... There's also a clever screw widget that allows you to compensate for a floor that isn't perfectly level, which I appreciated.

Now the bad:
You sound excited about the modules/customization. That's a trap (that I fell into). The way they price it is, the frame to get started is very cheap, but the modules are wildly overpriced, like $30 for a drawer overpriced. This project could very easily wander into $1000+ territory. Which I guess is still much better bang for buck than lots of stuff we buy, but still, something to keep in mind.

Related to that is, the more complicated modules are not great examples of engineering. Ikea seems pretty good at enabling stupid college kids to bolt together slabs of particleboard at 90° angles but not much else. The wooden parts are again serviceable, but I also went for the slide-out shoe rack and sliding doors, and those just don't work. The racks keep on drifting forward, blocking the doors from sliding along, while the doors themselves are attached to the pax frame using crude erector set style rails that you sort of force onto the frame. The tolerances of something cobbled together like this are not going to be great, and the doors refuse to slide cleanly. I'm no professional handyman, but I'm not a slouch either, and just couldn't get the doors to slide correctly.

And of course, related to the cost, you have the usual Ikea problem where these things cannot really be moved. They're kind of flimsy when not standing still, and will start warping and bending if handled; this is exacerbated by how big this thing is. The assembly is theoretically pretty reversible, but in actuality you also can't disassemble it without causing a lot of permanent damage. Mine has survived one move, significant disassembly required, and it was a doozy. It held up and I was able to put it back together, but the way an orthopedic surgeon puts a blown ACL / MCL / meniscus back together. Works but probably isn't going to be quite the same again and for my next move I am pretty sure it will be more sensible to just abandon it.

Addendum: As I was struggling with disassembly, moving, and reassembly, I couldn't stop cursing my own vanity, as none of this would have been necessary if I had actually done what #menswear guys claim to do, namely, to buy less and buy better. A guy who has one hopsack blazer, one gray flannel suit, one pair black captoes, one pair brown brogues, and a few white shirts doesn't have these problems.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads