• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

nevaeh

Reaction score
I suspect this falls squarely in the "SF buyer vs. 'nomal' buyer" difference. I don't think I've seen 5 people in my entire life wearing side tabs in real life. I would be that the majority of S&M's customers strongly prefer belt loops.

That's a fair point and I can see why they maintain belt loops as a primary offering. I ask for side tabs for entirely selfish reasons!

I'm curious, though, to know the breakdown with S&M customer base between normal and style-conscious folks. In previous interviews, I remember Rick mentioning that SF is a major marketing effort for them.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suspect this falls squarely in the "SF buyer vs. 'nomal' buyer" difference. I don't think I've seen 5 people in my entire life wearing side tabs in real life. I would be that the majority of S&M's customers strongly prefer belt loops.
I feel like this is due to the fact that most people wear pants that are a size or two too big in the waist and need a belt to keep it up, or the fact that a majority of people don’t know what side tabs even are, and everyone knows what belt loops are.

I think if most people knew what side tabs are and how it’s much easier to adjust to small weighty fluctuations and don’t have to buy a nice leather belt, they would opt for them over belt loops.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trees are changing colours, but how am I supposed to wear my S&M fall stuff when it is mid July temps here on the East Coast? Lmao

Attachments

• 63E6316A-D3D6-428B-A86C-86E3388BF2D8.jpeg
    63E6316A-D3D6-428B-A86C-86E3388BF2D8.jpeg
    57.2 KB · Views: 84

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I feel like this is due to the fact that most people wear pants that are a size or two too big in the waist and need a belt to keep it up, or the fact that a majority of people don’t know what side tabs even are, and everyone knows what belt loops are.

I think if most people knew what side tabs are and how it’s much easier to adjust to small weighty fluctuations and don’t have to buy a nice leather belt, they would opt for them over belt loops.

Counterpoint - Nobody at my office wears a sport coat (I mean, I do occasionally, but I'm the only one). I personally wouldn't wear side tabs without a sport coat, I just think it looks weird not to have a belt on in that situation. Also, I get tired of people asking me if I forgot my belt.

SteveMc

Reaction score

Exactly!
I detest belts. I can never get the holes to match my waist and almost always need to punch new holes.
Not to mention the hassle every visit to the bathroom. Wish S&M will offer more options with side tabs..

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Counterpoint - Nobody at my office wears a sport coat (I mean, I do occasionally, but I'm the only one). I personally wouldn't wear side tabs without a sport coat, I just think it looks weird not to have a belt on in that situation. Also, I get tired of people asking me if I forgot my belt.
Idk about that, I think it looks perfectly fine. Without a belt it just seems more streamline in your silhouette. The belt is an accessory, yes, but it can also cut your body in half. Whenever I don't have to wear a belt I don't. Worst case scenario, just let the other people know that this is another way of keeping your pants up without needing a belt.

Whenever your pants fit great without a belt, and your pants have belt loops, it just looks weird if you don't wear a belt. So, you're stuck with using a belt mainly to just make the pants not look weird, or potentially getting them removed at the tailor. Hence, side tabs; it's the best of both worlds.

Exactly!
I detest belts. I can never get the holes to match my waist and almost always need to punch new holes.
Not to mention the hassle every visit to the bathroom. Wish S&M will offer more options with side tabs..
I have a small waist, so most brands don't even carry my size in a belt. I have tried the ratchet belts, which are definitely a great design, but after wearing for a while the buckle is so bulky that is just sticks out and doesn't look good. So, I stopped wearing them most days and opt for my Meermin Belt

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Idk about that, I think it looks perfectly fine. Without a belt it just seems more streamline in your silhouette. The belt is an accessory, yes, but it can also cut your body in half. Whenever I don't have to wear a belt I don't. Worst case scenario, just let the other people know that this is another way of keeping your pants up without needing a belt.

Whenever your pants fit great without a belt, and your pants have belt loops, it just looks weird if you don't wear a belt. So, you're stuck with using a belt mainly to just make the pants not look weird, or potentially getting them removed at the tailor. Hence, side tabs; it's the best of both worlds.

You may be right, but this is one of those situations where I'd rather be "normal" than "SF-approved".

OldTown

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
Side tabs are much more prevalent in Europe than the US. I think Americans either love their belts as an accessory or just don't know side tabs exist because many stores just don't even carry them.

7_rocket

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The trees are changing colours, but how am I supposed to wear my S&M fall stuff when it is mid July temps here on the East Coast? Lmao

You will be regretting that when the temps hit -25C soon enough. Enjoy the hot weather while it lasts. I haven't even worn jeans since March.

CorozoButton

Reaction score
I saw in another thread that Spier & Mackay have a thick shawl cardigan coming this A/W. I looked through the thread images and couldn't seem to see anything? Are there any photos floating about or information about when they may release?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I saw in another thread that Spier & Mackay have a thick shawl cardigan coming this A/W. I looked through the thread images and couldn't seem to see anything? Are there any photos floating about or information about when they may release?
Look in the thread gallery, and go back to about May 8th I believe. Rick posted a prototype photo of it, although the buttons have since changed to faux horn

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads