• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

1st Step

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I actually have both! I love them (though I probably need to add a summer gray/all season grey since I'm heavy on blue right now). They wear fine, the hopsack is very comfortable and wrinkle resistant. I'd say the second one has a bit less "natural stretch", but wears fine

Thanks, I'm Diggin The 3 Patch Pockets...

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I requested the cloth on my own via email and they were able to source it for me. This was an early attempt at the low gorge, the newest version available through the MTO would now be like what is on the Marling jackets. The new version is slightly higher and not as wide.

Cloth details:

View attachment 1466506

This was highly popular as a GMTO Formosa through NMWA 3 years ago or so. I actually wanted to sell mine for the longest time if it weren't for the at least 50% drop in resale. Plus the pattern makes it hard for anyone outside SF to consider getting.

Riva

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am not too sure on how much it is lowered vs the standard gorge. That jacket was their first time trying it and we found it a touch too low, the marling ones are slightly wider. You'd have to ask @spiermackay just how much this changed and how different it is from say the Neapolitan (which has also been lowered slightly over the years)

By not as wide, I mean the Marling jackets with the new low gorge have a slightly more narrow lapel width.

At lease this was my understanding of the change. Side by side though they are fairly similar looking other than the slight change in lapel width.

Need to keep in mind that lapel width and gorge position depends on every individual's build and height. So it's experimentation for everyone all over again.

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Can someone give me some casual and black tie creative ideas with the velvet burgundy dinner jacket

pickergc

Reaction score
Can someone give me some casual and black tie creative ideas with the velvet burgundy dinner jacket
Black turtle neck is about the best I can come up with. That should cover you...it's casual and still can be sharp, though not traditional black-tie, obviously.

I'm stretching myself here, but a black knit t-shirt and black jeans with black loafers could possibly be done, but with both of these and any derivations, you start to get into "cool Santa" territory.

1601297236156.png

Ezio

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dude, what? No. Just no.
Mon Frere, live a little

Black turtle neck is about the best I can come up with. That should cover you...it's casual and still can be sharp, though not traditional black-tie, obviously.

I'm stretching myself here, but a black knit t-shirt and black jeans with black loafers could possibly be done, but with both of these and any derivations, you start to get into "cool Santa" territory.

View attachment 1466990
Perfect for the holidays!

wafflingwaffles

Reaction score
Have received my first spier & mackay suit. Outrageously soft, I feel like the construction is even softer than SuitSupply's? Loving the jacket length and the button stance...button stance felt a bit low at first but then I realized it was precisely at my natural waist around 1 inch above my belly button. guess I was just too used to super trendy high button stances

Will post photos soon, needs a lot of work at the tailor for sleeve/trouser length and nipping in the waist but otherwise everything else fits very well

nevaeh

Reaction score
I had my tailor convert a few S&M trousers from belt loops to side tabs. He used excess fabric from the hem and did a fantastic job. I’m slowly but surely becoming a bigger and bigger fan of side tabs.

Attachments

• 5ECF3E10-7B78-4D45-B74B-0D4E478A3068.jpeg
    5ECF3E10-7B78-4D45-B74B-0D4E478A3068.jpeg
    495.9 KB · Views: 91

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I had my tailor convert a few S&M trousers from belt loops to side tabs. He used excess fabric from the hem and did a fantastic job. I’m slowly but surely becoming a bigger and bigger fan of side tabs.
How much did this run you?? I am considering doing the same as I much prefer side tabs over wearing a belt for formal wear, and most S&M suit pants come with belt loops lol

dapperclassic

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Amazing job! I've been thinking of doing this too but I like to have the trousers cuffed and guess there isn't enough excess for both cuffs and side tabs.

nevaeh

Reaction score
How much did this run you?? I am considering doing the same as I much prefer side tabs over wearing a belt for formal wear, and most S&M suit pants come with belt loops lol
I completely agree. S&M should offer more trouser options with side tabs with their RTW selection. This was not cheap; it ran me around $35 per trouser. But I picked up these trousers during the clearance sale, so it made a little more financial sense to splurge on tailoring for these trousers.

Amazing job! I've been thinking of doing this too but I like to have the trousers cuffed and guess there isn't enough excess for both cuffs and side tabs.
That's the one issue with the after-market modification. My tailor said it's a choice between either cuffs or side tabs. He needs about 3-4 inches of material to form the side tabs, and then there isn't enough left for cuffs.

Last edited:

mak1277

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I completely agree. S&M should offer more trouser options with side tabs with their RTW selection. This was not cheap; it ran me around $35 per trouser. But I picked up these trousers during the clearance sale, so it made a little more financial sense to splurge on tailoring for these trousers.

I suspect this falls squarely in the "SF buyer vs. 'nomal' buyer" difference. I don't think I've seen 5 people in my entire life wearing side tabs in real life. I would be that the majority of S&M's customers strongly prefer belt loops.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads