• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

omgitswes

Reaction score
Had a suit made a few months ago for engagement photos. Went with a full canvassed navy herringbone and I really like it. Think a couple tweaks here and there and I’ll really nail down the fit.

B18425F1-5A4F-4DF3-A80C-B21B6CB89867.jpeg

tripreed

Reaction score
Someone talk to me about S&M shirts. Need a new regular now that Kamakura US is gone.

I have seven shirts, including one MTM, and believe that they are the best value out there. My two complaints would be 1. The infrequent restocks on "staple" shirts like OCBDs, especially if you are a common size, and 2. The time for delivery of MTM shirts. Perhaps the latter is more a reflection of my own issues with patience...

omgitswes

Reaction score
I have seven shirts, including one MTM, and believe that they are the best value out there. My two complaints would be 1. The infrequent restocks on "staple" shirts like OCBDs, especially if you are a common size, and 2. The time for delivery of MTM shirts. Perhaps the latter is more a reflection of my own issues with patience...

They don’t have any in my sleeve size so I only do the MTM now for dress shirts. I can live with the time it takes for shirts. Another forum favorite MTM website takes a lot longer.

I placed an order recently and someone from S&M noticed the measurements were drastically different from my previous shirt order and they reached out to me. Glad they did because it was an oversight on my part. Would have been unwearable if they didn’t. That type of customer service really solidifies them being my go to spot for anything menswear related.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I am thankful that they actually stock smaller sizes (14.5x33) and fit me so well OTR. I am eager to try the MTO in the future soon hopefully, or even commission my one suit collection in MTO rather than buy OTR lol

klcr

Reaction score
hopped on the custom sale - went for a peak lapel grey prince of wales :cool:
never had anything made custom before - psyched

losrockets

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
They're more fashion pleats than anything functional, but then again I prefer double forward pleats.

On a trouser note, I'm evaluating MTO fabrics in the current promotion. How would those of you who have the filarte fabrics such as the light gray tropical or travel wool say they compare to Spier's higher end choices (guabello, VBC, etc)?

MisterrLovely

Reaction score
hopped on the custom sale - went for a peak lapel grey prince of wales :cool:
never had anything made custom before - psyched
I did a MTO charcoal sharkskin in late August, taking advantage of the free canvas upgrade, so I'm crossing my fingers it arrives by mid October ??

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
So, what is this and why does it look like something I’d want ?
That sounds like the mythical "Bleeding Madras" of old that no longer exists.

"Madras’ big moment came with a 1958 fiasco when a fabric exporter failed to explain to Brooks Brothers that the 10,000 yards of Madras they’d bought were going to fade. When consumers all over the country began angrily writing to Brooks Brothers complaining that their new jackets and trousers were fading and bleeding, the company summoned the exporter, Mr. Nair, to the United States to punish him.

But Nair deftly redirected their anger with an interview with Seventeen Magazine, in which he lauded the fading quality of this miracle fabric from India. Add some coverage by Esquire and Brooks Brothers had a huge phenomenon on their hands. Advertisers started praising the “marvelously muted” and “dustily well-bred” qualities of the Madras trousers and jackets. Before beat-up jeans were considered acceptable, a well-faded “Guaranteed to Bleed” Madras shirt conveyed a certain nonchalance that Ivy Leaguers loved. The reactive, unstable organic dyes that were nearly Madras’ downfall were eagerly accepted and Madras proved an enduring American classic.
"

I still find it fascinating how a 'flaw' of bleeding and fading was marketed and flipped into being a desirable trait, and it worked!

thedose

Reaction score
Does anybody here also feel that the pleats on S&M's trousers are too small? I wonder if they could make the pleats bigger and deeper in some future models, or at least make it available for custom.

Sounds like something you could ask for in comment during MTO -- are you speaking about MTO trousers, or OTR?

Peking_Gent

Reaction score
Sounds like something you could ask for in comment during MTO -- are you speaking about MTO trousers, or OTR?

Their OTR trousers have small tiny pleats. I haven't tried to order a pair of mto trousers from them. Hopefully, bigger pleats could be added if I put it in the comment?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads