• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I’ve even lost 10 lbs or so between last winter and now and I still am glad I went up a size in the polo coat. The shoulders fit me equally as fine.
I will try to post up a shot this week showing the fit.
It is beginning to be fall weather here on east coast of Canada, though this week is still in 20's during the day... I am kind of hoping it becomes cooler soon so I can start wearing my peacoat and sweaters, but also hoping it stays like this so I don't have to freeze when going outside lol

CasuallyWorked

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the recent off white polos losing their ecru color? Worn once, washed with mild detergent once, line dried, and it basically lost all of the ecru color to the point where it is nearly just white now. I couldn’t even find it in my closet because the color matched my white ones so much. I also have an unworn off white with the different collar and there is a glaring difference between the two now.

Between the odd cut/sizing and this, these polos are a very strange batch this year.

yeah the polos are meh this year, shrink like crazy, short, bocky waist.

Material is nice and so is the chest size

Good thing they're economically priced, maybe next year they will get a better cut

Rugger

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a $500 visa gift card burning a hole in my pocket. Do I buy a S&M sportcoat, or MTO, or put it toward a pair of AE Shell?

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
yeah the polos are meh this year, shrink like crazy, short, bocky waist.

Material is nice and so is the chest size

Good thing they're economically priced, maybe next year they will get a better cut
I believe Rick stated that they will be updating the fit for them next season, along with for the long sleeve polo's coming this FW. I think they made the chest a bit slimmer, along with it being longer. So if you wanted to try the new fit, you can always pick up a LS Polo.

ptfly

Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the recent off white polos losing their ecru color? Worn once, washed with mild detergent once, line dried, and it basically lost all of the ecru color to the point where it is nearly just white now. I couldn’t even find it in my closet because the color matched my white ones so much. I also have an unworn off white with the different collar and there is a glaring difference between the two now.

Between the odd cut/sizing and this, these polos are a very strange batch this year.
Mine looks whiter too. More a soft white than ecru. I picked up 4. One poor polo accidentally found it's way to the dryer and will now fit a very short pudgy man who shops at goodwill. Amazing how much it shrank in the length.
Cotton knits are much more apt to shrink than wovens. The fabric can be washed before cutting to reduce shrinkage to an extra 2 or 3%. I like when the shrinkage is out of the fabric before cutting and sewing in knits.

Last edited:

ptfly

Reaction score
I believe Rick stated that they will be updating the fit for them next season, along with for the long sleeve polo's coming this FW. I think they made the chest a bit slimmer, along with it being longer. So if you wanted to try the new fit, you can always pick up a LS Polo.
One way of doing it is increase the spec. If you are looking at 10-12% shrinkage it is best to get the shrinkage out of the knit fabric prior to cutting. Other things happen (bad things) on a polo when it shrinks that much. Shrinkage is always more in the length so it is in a way differential shrinkage.
Fiber staple length, tightness of spinning, gauge, tightness of knitting, stich, finishing, and other things play a factor in knit shrinkage.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The unexpected benefit of these polos worn untucked is they no longer catch on my bum.

LuxLemon

Reaction score
Guabello Burgundy Check
CAB3B56E-805D-44DC-8D95-CA7BB36CF1E1.jpeg

Burzan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Herringbone wool/linen Marling & Evans. This cloth is fantastic, not online yet as it's from the Spring collection so I am guessing Spier will add it online in the new year. Should be able to request it now if you wanted though.

Card 139 - SLAWIT/16772/A5

2020-09-18 12.46.32_edited.jpg

Dizzy8108

Reaction score
Long shot but anyone pick up a 44 Bottoli - Green Donegal Coat that they will be returning/don't want? I didn't think it would sell out so quickly.

I'm in the same boat. So wanted that one and now it is gone. I could probably get away with a 46 though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads