• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

vriche

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Congrats! Just need that mirror shine ;)
You’re so right! I only wore them once before and kinda forgot about them. I gave them a shine yesterday although the picture kinda sucks.
16863C0C-DBA2-4AB1-9C92-14C7A2242951.jpeg

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don’t usually like to take pictures but took a few the other day in celebration of reaching 10k subscribers on YouTube.

Suit: VBC Navy Flannel (2019)
Shirt: MTO View attachment 1464513 View attachment 1464514 View attachment 1464515 View attachment 1464522 View attachment 1464523 View attachment 1464524 View attachment 1464525
Congrats Vladimir....I enjoy your channel so much more than a few of "the other guys" that take themselves way too seriously and can't laugh at themselves or on camera.

Last edited:

Fancy Pants

Reaction score
Long shot but anyone pick up a 44 Bottoli - Green Donegal Coat that they will be returning/don't want? I didn't think it would sell out so quickly.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I order the same size for SCs and overcoats. Works perfectly fine. The overcoats do have room to fit SCs under them. Wearing a SC under overcoats is taken into account. Never have I come across any company that does not take this into account. From my experience, overcoats are always made larger in order to fit SCs under them. Not one company has ever suggested to me to purchase a overcoat that is a size larger than their SC in order to fit the latter under the former.
The pieces from a few winters ago definitely needed to be sized up to fit any layer at all underneath them. I have the FW17/18 Duffel coat and there's not a chance that I could wear anything but a single layer (I mean shirt or t-shirt) under it if I bought it in my regular 42 size. As is, with a 44 it's still rather tight if I try to wear multiple layers or with a sports coat.
Ok guys, I promise, I ask about the topic for the last time. Who of You do buy overcoat in one size up in comparison with your regular sc/suit size? I know 1st Step does that. I’m that eager on gathering some meritorious information, as I plan to pull a trigger on some peacoat and as being settled in Europe, I don’t wanna turn up to be unlucky with over coat/peacoat being too tight. Thx
I have bought a size up in both outerwear pieces I've bought from S&M and don't regret it one bit: a duffel coat from '17/18 and the burgundy polo coat from last year. I'd much rather find an overcoat roomy than not be able to even move in it and even as it is, the duffel coat can be quite tight at times. I haven't had a chance to wear the polo coat yet, but I am happy about the fit in my test fittings so far. I definitely wouldn't want to get my normal size. Plus the added benefit of going up in size is that the coat is longer. I'm 5'10" and the polo coat in a size 44 goes to the top of my kneecap.
I see the burgundy polo coat up for sale in size 42 and I was considering purchase a size down from my normal suit size(44). Looking at the size chart it should fit with 3 inch extra around chest and waist but that's only if the measurement are true to size. I know I heard that people needed to size up before and I'm here wondering If can size down for it. Looking for any size suggestion on that Burgundy herringbone polo coat?
I would say there is zero chance that you can pull off going a size down unless you only intend on wearing a single shirt underneath. I have the burgundy polo coat, I wear a 42R in suits, and I sized up to a 44 for the coat. I would also be super hesitant about the length of the coat sizing down.

XxLogo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The pieces from a few winters ago definitely needed to be sized up to fit any layer at all underneath them. I have the FW17/18 Duffel coat and there's not a chance that I could wear anything but a single layer (I mean shirt or t-shirt) under it if I bought it in my regular 42 size. As is, with a 44 it's still rather tight if I try to wear multiple layers or with a sports coat.

I have bought a size up in both outerwear pieces I've bought from S&M and don't regret it one bit: a duffel coat from '17/18 and the burgundy polo coat from last year. I'd much rather find an overcoat roomy than not be able to even move in it and even as it is, the duffel coat can be quite tight at times. I haven't had a chance to wear the polo coat yet, but I am happy about the fit in my test fittings so far. I definitely wouldn't want to get my normal size. Plus the added benefit of going up in size is that the coat is longer. I'm 5'10" and the polo coat in a size 44 goes to the top of my kneecap.

I would say there is zero chance that you can pull off going a size down unless you only intend on wearing a single shirt underneath. I have the burgundy polo coat, I wear a 42R in suits, and I sized up to a 44 for the coat. I would also be super hesitant about the length of the coat sizing down.
I got a 36R Peacoat this past summer and lost a bit of muscle over quarantine, so the 34 probably could fit me now; but the 36R is still doable I think. Looking at the size charts now, the peacoat seems to have more room in body than the overcoat too. However, like you said, it's best to have a coat be a bit roomy for layers than be tight with just a button down or sweater underneath. However, do note, there is a difference between being too big and roomy lol. As long as the shoulders fit you well still, and have room to layer with what you want underneath, it should be good. Worst case Ontario you can just buy a tailors tape and measure with a SC on, that $3 investment goes a long way ?

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Has anyone had experience with the recent off white polos losing their ecru color? Worn once, washed with mild detergent once, line dried, and it basically lost all of the ecru color to the point where it is nearly just white now. I couldn’t even find it in my closet because the color matched my white ones so much. I also have an unworn off white with the different collar and there is a glaring difference between the two now.

Between the odd cut/sizing and this, these polos are a very strange batch this year.

marker2037

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I got a 36R Peacoat this past summer and lost a bit of muscle over quarantine, so the 34 probably could fit me now; but the 36R is still doable I think. Looking at the size charts now, the peacoat seems to have more room in body than the overcoat too. However, like you said, it's best to have a coat be a bit roomy for layers than be tight with just a button down or sweater underneath. However, do note, there is a difference between being too big and roomy lol. As long as the shoulders fit you well still, and have room to layer with what you want underneath, it should be good. Worst case Ontario you can just buy a tailors tape and measure with a SC on, that $3 investment goes a long way ?
I’ve even lost 10 lbs or so between last winter and now and I still am glad I went up a size in the polo coat. The shoulders fit me equally as fine.
I will try to post up a shot this week showing the fit.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads